Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Just wondering if anyone else here is a DES (synthetic estrogen)son or Daughter

[db...]

• This may not be the right place to post this, but I was exposed in utero to DES as a fetus. I was born prematurely and was a placenta previa. I only weighed about 4-5 lbs and there is a pic of me in a shoebox.

They used to say that mainly the girls were effected while the males were largely ok, but I am on a lifetime study from the Mayo Clinic so they know it is an ongoing problem. There are many of us that have had serious anxiety and depression all our lives now that they are looking at mental problems from it. www.desaction.org

My Mother had one miscarriage and they gave her an unknown amount of this and internasal antibiotics all through the pregnancy. She was in bed/hospital nearly all 8 months. Her stress alone must have effected me. I barely remember (Some of my first memories) of having all these electrodes (like they have for heart checks) all over my head and they hurt (were stuck in there measuring something). I also needed eye glasses at age 3 and was thinking suicidal thoughts if I was just disciplined long before I should have even thought of such things (like 5-10 years old just for getting a B in shop class as my family was super high achievement oriented).

My sister got some of that, too, but only for awhile. She lost an ovary at 15 and could never have children (she has adopted in later life). My brother was never exposed to anything as by then they had started pulling back on its use in pregnancies. He is comparatively normal even though he is a shrink.

There was NEVER any evidence that this DES stuff prevented miscarriages, so they just started putting it in pre-natal vitamins (this is why many don't know if they were exposed), but I have been told to always tell my Drs that happened. I think they started using it in mid 1940's and continued AROUND the world giving it to pregnant women. Finally, in the 1970's it was restricted to cattle implants (it makes them gain more weight on less feed).

I hope this is not scary if so take it down, but I was wondering why medical profession was using this with no double-blind human trials known and if it causes later anxiety. So, anyone else aware if they were exposed in utero to this synthetic hormone? This was also the time of Dr. Spock who had very bad ideas on raising children like zero breast feeding and the comfort mother-child bond this lays groundwork for. I ran across one of best selling books and nearly died he was so far off base. Is this merely greed, stupidity or something more like population control? Please answer if having any knowledge about it.

My first husbands aunt took this drug while pregnant.

Her daughter never had children, adopted one in her early fifties.

So yes, it does seem to affect the daughters :(

My grandmother took this while pregnant with my aunt in the early 1950s...my aunt has had sooo many health problems and thinks it is related to the DES.  All I heard was that they gave it to my grandmother to prevent miscarriage.  So sorry you have been affected by it, too.

Thank you for your replies. Anyone else aware of the DES days? Check out www.desaction.org to read about this strange release of insanely bad meds especially to pregnant women. It has old ads, etc.

Yes, my mother took diethylstilbestrol when she was carrying me.  The only reason we know for sure is that there was a card in my baby book with pre-natal notes on it, one being that she'd been prescribed DES.  When I asked her about it, she didn't remember taking it then said she thought she only took a couple and threw the rest away.

However, in my first pregnancy I lost a set of twin boys.  At that time no one had made the DES/incompetent cervix connection.  With my second, I was rushed to emergency surgery and a MacDonald procedure was done (cerclage).  I was on total bedrest until my water broke and I gave birth at 7 1/2 months.  My son was a healthy 4 lbs 15 oz.  Thirteen years later I underwent another cerclage and had my daughter after 5 1/2 months of bedrest.  She was only two weeks early.

Still, I feel lucky to not have had vaginal or cervical cancer as many DES daughters have had.  And I was especially lucky to have had two children who made it. 

Another bad drug.

Thank you all,

Now, have anyone you know that was exposed had anxiety or depression problems? Funny (no shameful) how something advertised and given to pregnant Moms to PREVENT miscarriages caused so many premature and strange pregnancies if not miscarriages itself.

I, too, was a premie, placenta previa child. My Mother suffered through 8 months of this largely right in the hospital. They actually also added to her regime a mask which she had to inhale fine, powdered anti-biotics for some reason. I am allergic to nearly every anti-biotic out there and have had panic, anxiety, depression and thoughts of self harm from an early age (like my first memories). I had such bad migraines, eyesight and convulsions until about 7. I was also started on benadryl and lots of it as I was allergic to nearly everything.

Please any more comments I know this is something many Mothers were unaware of like some major human trial. They even put it in pre-natal vitamins without telling Mother claiming it would produce bigger and healthier babies long after the anti-miscarriage lie was proven.

Yes! My mom took it in the 50's and I was also 5 lbs at birth, and my mom had placenta previa with me. I've had lots of problems throughout life. I do remember discussing this with my mom and talked briefly to the doctor that treated her. I totally forgot about all this. It would explain why I have always felt different and sort of like a train wreck all my life!!! I never really grasped exactly why she took it, maybe they just did not want to tell me.?

The baby photos of me, I look like an Ethiopian child and in one pic there is a huge knot on top of my head! Maybe my dad hit my head on the wall or the floor! He had a temper for sure. And that gives you a good idea of our relationship.

Also, I got a cyst on an ovary the size of an orange and had to have a total hysterectomy at age 41. I always had painful periods. I've always had stomach issues and anxiety and panic. Had my first panic attack at age 15 and then not again until about age 23, hence began on a benzo and antidepressants.

I don't know for certain that my issues are related to the DES but that is a steroid I believe so it would make some sense.

Thanks for mentioning this. Gotta do some research on this now!  ;):)

Hi Katie,

Please PM me or post on that thread if you find out more. It seems they mainly looked at the physical problems it causes (now ito 3rd generations even). My sister lost an ovary also. She has has lots of anxiety/depression but not as bad as me. I got it from the very beginning and all throughout the pregnancy.

I hope you are doing ok and thank you for posting as this is a subject big pharma is trying cover up. I think many have sued and gotten a settlement. You surely have a case. If I were you, I would contact the website owner of www.desaction.org to discuss lawyers that take this kind of case for free (cut of settlement). Don't do one of those lawsuits on behalf of hundreds of people as the lawyers get all the $$, but if you can find one willing to just do your case, it MIGHT be worth looking into. That was major malpractice and coverup.