Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

How Stress Affects Your Body

[Bu...]

Interesting. With stress affecting your immune system, I found my breast cancer after my last major depression. My particular type of breast cancer was not linked to genetics or hormones. It was called a Triple Negative cancer. So doctors don't know why it happened. I am 100% sure that my immune system was compromised when I had depression, so my cells weren't strong enough to fight off the tumour.

The thing is, lots of us on here experience anxiety and depression and can't do anything about it except to taper off the drugs that cause it. And guess what? The taper is horribly stressful too!

Gilly,

I'm so sorry that you were diagnosed with breast cancer.  I hope your doctors were able to help you and that you are feeling better now.  It's scary what stress can do to us and how important it is to have a good tool kit of coping strategies.  I sure didn't cope well before taking benzos but, am learning day by day...easier said than done on some days but, those skills are worth their weight in gold.  Take care and sending you hugs :)

Aw, thanks Burned Out. You come up with some interesting posts on here. Like the one where that creature kept getting younger and never died.

My breast cancer was in 2008. I don't think it contributed to this bloody mess. In fact, that gave me total trust in doctors. I knew the prognosis was quite good. Something like 80% chance of being okay. So I just trusted them implicitly. I didn't fight. I personally find fighting to be a silly thing. You just give yourself over to the guys who know what they are doing. Had surgery, radiotherapy and chemo. Was very scared of chemo, but you just get on with it.

If you are pretty sure that you're going to be okay then it is a walk in the park compared to this. Obviously not if it is terminal.

Hope you are coping okay. I like coming across you every now and then. It is a pleasure. Hugs. Gilly x