Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Dog Lovers....what dog do you have?

[Vm...]

Thread created for dog lovers. What kind of dog do you have? Any training tips? I love Victoria Stillwell as well as Ceaser. They have some great videos on youtube.

I have a Newfoundland...the black and white kind.  Best tip I have is to use plenty of treats and be as positive as you can be.  I know training young dogs can be a struggle.  I struggled, and even hired a trainer to work with us at home for an hour a week for a few weeks.  It was worth it, though.  He's a big dog and I have to be in control of him at all times if we're out.

I have an 18 yr old mini schnauzer, a cairn terrier and a puppy mated my the schnauzer and cairn terrier. Believe it or not my18 yr old schnauzer (the male) mated with my young cairn terrier and we got a puppy out of it! As far as training i use the newspaper trick with a light tap on the nose(shoe chewing) and treats when he does something good. Hes a very lovable dog. Hes 5 months old he is already attached to me and protects by barking! I love all three of them 💕

I train and show three goldens. I am also an AKC judge. I wrote a very long post on a similar topic here how to train your dog but it disappeared and don't have it in my to write it again. Short answers: Give treats and love and start training your puppy at 7 weeks. The longer you wait, the harder it will be. And join an obedience class. And not those garbage classes at pet stores. A real one whose instructors have won titles such as CD, CDX, UD and OTCH. Anyone with a UD or OTCH are the best. CD, not so much. and NEVER EVER BEAT OR YELL AT YOUR DOG!!!!! No matter what.

I have a 5 year old German Shepard named Patton and a 6 year old long haired dachshund named Shadow. My dogs are my best companions. Just pure unconditional love. That's why dog is God spelled backwards :smitten:

I've adopted a little Malteze 3 weeks ago... she's 7 years and a half. She came from a place where she was kept to breed for al those years.. never went outside... locked inside just got food and drink with lots of other dogs to share with. She was scared to death when i first walked her. But now in 3 weeks time she's changed so much... Loves to walk.. crazy bout other animals : horses, cows, cats... just about anything... just a bit to excited sometimes... if she could jump on the horse she would.  :laugh:

But i'm glad i saved her and hope that she will have lots of golden years to come and never has to think about that nasty past.

I have a Newfoundland...the black and white kind.  Best tip I have is to use plenty of treats and be as positive as you can be.  I know training young dogs can be a struggle.  I struggled, and even hired a trainer to work with us at home for an hour a week for a few weeks.  It was worth it, though.  He's a big dog and I have to be in control of him at all times if we're out.

Challis, I have a Brown Newf lol ! Pretty awesome you have a Landseer I guess we both got slime and drool all over the house ? I used to breed and Train Labs they were a cake walk compared to the Newf. but have Him pretty trained now other then He can`t help but rearrange the furniture when He decides to run around the house :) also have a Beagle here and also a part Border Collie mix ! ps: my computer screen has a Newf  drool on it as you know when they shake their heads look out ~ it`s a Newf thing I know you understand lol !                          Hope all is well?

We have a 10yr old boxer and a cocker mix.  I was training the cocker to be a therapy dog until I got sick.  They are both my therapy dogs!  They respond well to treats, love and positive reinforcements.  The cocker works for balls/toys, too.

• 4 weeks later...
One cokawawa...cocker spaniel and chi wa wa.,,and a full breed yorki...my family calls me the dog whisperer...my training tip is to treat them like your family, love them, be patient and kind. Also a few treats here and there do a world of wonder.,,, :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

I train and show three goldens. I am also an AKC judge. I wrote a very long post on a similar topic here how to train your dog but it disappeared and don't have it in my to write it again. Short answers: Give treats and love and start training your puppy at 7 weeks. The longer you wait, the harder it will be. And join an obedience class. And not those garbage classes at pet stores. A real one whose instructors have won titles such as CD, CDX, UD and OTCH. Anyone with a UD or OTCH are the best. CD, not so much. and NEVER EVER BEAT OR YELL AT YOUR DOG!!!!! No matter what.

Hi Bets,

I think this is the post you are looking for, you were kind enough to write for me a while back.

Luv

Saraa

Offline benzogirl

Buddie

Hard Times Eventually Mean Great Things.

View Profile  Personal Message (Offline)

Re: Calling All Dog Owners

« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2015, 05:32:53 pm »

I've been a dog trainer for 20 years and have won many, many AKC titles. I am also an AKC judge. One poster is right. Dogs can smell 1,000 times stronger than a human. They can smell fear easily. That's why they have the dog pack mentality of chasing animals who obviously are very fearful. If you are anxious, they may think your anxiety is caused by them, and thus become anxious and hurt, themselves, as they don't know what they did wrong. Best train a puppy when he is 7 weeks old. The first command he must learn is come. So he won't be hit by a car. Then you can take him off-leash and have him run in a park, or anywhere there is some land. Anytime a dog damages your house, it's because he is bored. He is not doing this to upset you. It will only get worse. The only way to prevent this is by letting him run around a lot each day, to tire him out. And to let him smell news things and perhaps chase ducks. Unlike cats, who don't have the ability to feel true hunger, a dog does. So if he doesn't want to eat then take the bowl away from him. He will eventually get hungry. Or put him in a crate and don't let him out until he finishes his meal. Make sure he eats the same time you are, as you are his momma and daddy. You are his pack. Only let one person in the house train him and nobody else. The best person who is one that spends the most time with him. Obedience classes are great because they socialize the dog. The most important thing for new dog owners: Keep him crated from the very beginning. Have the crate ready when you bring him home. The crate will eventually become his refuge. Make sure the crate is large enough for him to stand up and turn around. Leave the door of the crate open, unless you need to keep him in there because he is not trained and you can't keep an eye on him. Don't ever bother him while he is resting in his crate. He wants to be left alone. Always crate your dog in the car. People are ignorant when they let their dog's head out of the window so he can see and smell new things. They end up getting hit in the head and eyes with toxic material in the air.  If you already have a dog that is no longer a puppy, then make sure to bring him to obedience classes. It is never too late. When you call them ask them if their instructors have ever gotten a CD, a CDX or a UD. A UD is the most perfect, very hard title to get. I have several. If someone says they have an OTCH, (obedience trial champion) then run there like mad. That means you have one of the best obedience trainers in the country. All dogs are considered puppies until they are 2.

Bets

« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 05:50:41 pm by benzogirl »

>Report This Post<    Logged

guys, I have 2 golden retrievers. they are the cutest things ever and are kind of my life line. its amazing how dogs can get you through somthig as tough as this right ? its so beautiful. sometimes they just know something is wrong, and they understand like no human who hasn't been through this can. but dogs do. strongs everyone. xxx keep going. we are going to get to the other side victoriously .xxxx

Right now, I know I am not capable of taking care of a dog or any pet really.  But I would like to try next year once I'm off all meds.  I really only know a small amount about dogs because my family never allowed any pets in the house, there were no pets allowed in college unless you were an Animal Science major and there have been no-pet policies everywhere I have lived.  I only know the types of dogs that my friends have.  I think I would probably get a smaller dog like a Bichon Frise or a Havanese.  They seem so adorable, harmless, friendly and loving.

guys, I have 2 golden retrievers. they are the cutest things ever and are kind of my life line. its amazing how dogs can get you through somthig as tough as this right ? its so beautiful. sometimes they just know something is wrong, and they understand like no human who hasn't been through this can. but dogs do. strongs everyone. xxx keep going. we are going to get to the other side victoriously .xxxx

You have excellent taste.........................

I know this doesn't really count...but I have two siamese cats Penny and Lizzie- they are the closest thing to a dog you will get in a feline ...they talk to me all the time, follow me everywhere I go in the house, understand spoken words.. they  bond hard to one human- and luckily that is me!! that is Penny in my profile pic...and as Claire8554093  mentioned- like a dog -they can sense when i am hurting and offer comfort to me throughout this benzo journey. . God bless our fur kids!!

We have a Maltese-Shitzu combination.  She only weighs 9lb and is a ball of energy.  She is black and white, with beautiful markings (proud momma!)  We have had her for 4 years.  She is very smart with a mind of her own.  Eats when we do, and if she wants to play she brings the toy, jumps at you once and goes into the down position.  She knows we pay attention when she does this.  Uses a green spotty pad for the "potty" so we don't have to let her out to go.  Handy as we live in snow for 9 months of the year.  We do take her for walks, but she runs around the house like a bullet.  A real joy!

Good to see this thread and all the dog lovers. I have a Shepard/Belgian Mallinois, Eqyu (E Q), in the pic who is 7 now and knows over 80 words. Eqyu is Japanese for their Einstein and he is exceptionally smart. I have a female who I rescued who looks like Eqyu, her name is Yuri and is almost 3. She has shorter hair, same personality, smart, loving and very protective. Spoiled rotten and very deservedly so. Eqyu actually saved my life before I adopted Yuri. I was about a week into acute from c/t with this and having a severe panic attack and was ready to get up and go grab a gun, when Eqyu jumped on my lap as I was balling my eyes out and would not get down and I was yelling at him. He kept licking my face for probably 10-15 seconds, but seemed like minutes. It was enough that it cleared my head and got me to thinking better. I honestly believe if it weren't for him that day, at that moment, I'd not be here.

Then 2 1/2 yra ago, about 3 month's after that incident, I saw a dog on Facebook who was on the short list for life and six month's old is all too. I had my sister drive me up there, 200 miles and got her. Figured if nothing else I'd save her life and put an ad out for her. Well, she won my heart over immediately, but it took Eqyu a couple of weeks to warm up to the idea of another dog in the house. Him n I are tight, I don't own him, I'm his pack leader. But, he found out that he's just as loved and even has a companion on top of it. They're absolutely inseparable. Yuri is almost to 50 words now herself.

• 2 weeks later...

I have two Shiba Inus, Black and Tan male and a red and white female. Training......hmmm! Yeah, they are to stubborn, independent, and really don't care what you think to be trainable. Haha

If you want a dog that is all about you, you don't want a Shiba. If you want a cat that looks like a dog (and I love cats too), get a Shiba.

I have a 6 year old German Shepherd, her name is Layla....she's just the greatest thing on the planet.