Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

racoons?

[Sa...]

Hi all,

Anyone with experience with having a racoon trying to next in the space about the ceiling and below the roof? Its like a crawl space where the wiring and the plumming runs.

We had a lady come out refferred by animal control.  She says she uses 3 things, loud music, strobe light as in disco light and throws flour as in baking flour down to trace foot steps.  She charges almost $700 but she has no plan to catch it in a cage and to drive it out of the residential area.

Anyone with ideas?  I live in southern california.

Thank you in advance for any input :)

I don't know, but good luck.  I think I'd want someone to put a live trap in the attic, and once it was caught make sure the entry was found and boarded up.  Or wait for it to come out at dusk and nail up the entry once it was out.

Challis,

Not one of them mentioned the word dusk and how they come out at dusk.  Good to know.  Thank you my dear challis.

Hope all is well for you.  I was mentioning you yesterday to a fellow BB friend talking on the phone.

You are my angel, racoon or no racoon.

Lots of luv

Saraa

Is there a wildlife rehab in your area?

Maybe give them a call, they might be able to help you.

Or maybe a no kill animal shelter could lend you a humane trap.

Good luck!  :)

Chinookwind,

Thanks for the idea.  I did call them.  They said not to worry and leave him/her there in the attic and once she has her babies as its baby season, she will move them out.  They had no idea how long it could take and said she will not do any damage.  Well she has been doing big time damage.  Sounds like a grown person picking up planks of woods and tearing them if thats possible. 

Anyway found another company who specialized in racoons and they'll be here tomorrow.

They take pics and come over everyday for a week to check the situation.

Guarantee removal.  They also close off openings and take the animal out of neighborhood.

Sounds good, so far.

Thanks for jumping in.

Hope you are doing well or on your way to be well :)

Challis,

Not one of them mentioned the word dusk and how they come out at dusk.  Good to know.  Thank you my dear challis.

Hope all is well for you.  I was mentioning you yesterday to a fellow BB friend talking on the phone.

You are my angel, racoon or no racoon.

Lots of luv

Saraa

Aw, Saraa… you made my day today.  I'm glad I came back to check on the raccoon situation. 

Sounds like you've got it handled!

Chal  :smitten:

Well the A Team came.

He went through the attic, no racoon that he could see.

Set up a couple of traps outside the house.

2 days later, today there was a skunk inside.

They came removed the skunk and put up another trap.

They also think that the racoon has left the building so to speak as in elvis because racoons are the top predator amongst skunks and possums and if the skunk had smelled a racoon he would have been afraid and wouldnt have approached the area.

So i will update again.

We don't have raccoons here in Hawaii. I guess that it is too far of a swim for them. We do have a lot of mongoose. They were introduced by the sugar companies to control the rat population. Rats come out at night and mongoose only hunt during the day. Now we have a lot of rats and mongoose.

[3e...]

Put out some food with powdered Klonopin mixed in. When the raccoon eats it and gets very relaxed... <Kidding!>!

Sounds like you have it under control. Good luck.

Chessplayer

chessplayer,

This morning i woke up and checked to see if the trap had caught anything and low and behold the trap door is closed but since they had covered it with a big black garbage bag i can't see whats inside.  I called them to come and take it away.  It went to answering and no one has called me back in the last hour.  So i am sitting here really anxious as going thru a wave or whatever this brain damage is called waiting for them to come or call.

Chessplayer i see your sig and boy are you lucky you never touched K pills.  Not to say you aren't going thru the same hell.  K isn't even for the racoons. lol

yup, thankfully the skunk was caught 2 days ago n taken away right before he almost sprayed my nosey dog.

Could be worse. :)