Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

What have you learned?

[al...]

As bad as our experiences with benzos and Z-drugs were, there must have been some positive take-aways or lessons that were gained. What did you learn? Was there anything good and worthwhile bestowed upon you?

I had it before, but since my experience my empathy for the suffering of others has really elevated. I especially appreciate how hard it must be to have to go through life with a mental illness (having temporarily had one myself).

I learned that very few real solutions can be found in a doctor's office.

AMEN!

I also learned what it REALLY means to practice self-care. Even though I am in the pit of hell currently, I've been giving myself so much time to just lay here on the couch and listen to talks and meditations and read whatever I can. Not all has been positive but most has and is changing the way I look at my anxiety, my symptoms, my life. I am trying to enjoy this suck by learning new ways to cope.

I learned just how many people are adversely effected by benzos and Z-drugs. There are so many BenzoBuddies members and most likely many many more who never found their way to the site. So many otherwise normal sounding and very nice people. I never would never have guessed. It really blows to pieces the popular image of a person with a drug problem, especially after having become one myself.

I'm learning that the little things that used to stress me out were stupid and pointless.  That psych drugs have their place, but not in my life.  I think I will have a new found appreciation for life once I'm tapered off and healed.  I don't want to waste any more precious moments.  And yes, Bets, my pdoc is awesome.  They do exist.  And I'm lucky to have found him.  Also, primary docs and their PAs have no business prescribing benzos.  Idiot PA said I could C/T my Xanax after 2 months use and I was having severe interdose withdrawals (she just told me I was an anxiety filled basket case who would never be able to get off benzos, which turns out was the thing that was making me an anxiety filled basket case-I had to self diagnose that).  I'm now on a V taper that's going to last at least a year because I'm so sensitive.  Lucky for me my pdoc listened and believes what I'm going through and was willing to do the Ashton taper.

I have learned to live with uncertainty and to accept it.  It has really helped in this very long process.

Not knowing from one hour to the next how I will feel is not easy. 

Fiona  :thumbsup:

I've learned that once I am off all my medications again, it is my ultimate responsibility and purpose in life to combat the corruption in the mental health system at any cost.