Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

What non benzo thoughts do you have at night?

[sl...]

When I go to bed and have my eyes closed, I am usually redecorating my house.  Ive always done this pre-benzo and it helped me to drift off to sleep.  Doesn't Help now though... Damn hypnic jerks ruin everything :(.  I used to always wake up and rearrange furniture or go shopping for the new throw pillow I dreamed up, lol!

If you don't think of anything and get right to sleep, lucky you!!  My husband is that way. 

When I go to bed and have my eyes closed, I am usually redecorating my house.  Ive always done this pre-benzo and it helped me to drift off to sleep.  Doesn't Help now though... Damn hypnic jerks ruin everything :(.  I used to always wake up and rearrange furniture or go shopping for the new throw pillow I dreamed up, lol!

If you don't think of anything and get right to sleep, lucky you!!  My husband is that way.

Unfortunately, sleep is a problem for me in that I can sleep all day and night lol.

My husband can sleep on railroad tracks during rush hour. Me, no way! What I tell myself is Betsy, you won't be able to sleep tonight. That gets me to sleep. Weird, I know.............

Some folks count sheep, I count cupcakes.

I'm usually working at my imaginary bakery decorating cakes and cupcakes.  :smitten:

Sometimes it works, more often not but it's a pleasant distraction.

I hope those hypnic jerks settle down soon so you can go back to your interior decorating.

Chinook  :hug:

That type of counting is a good idea... When things get too complicated in my brain I tend to doze off :)

I also think about my dream bakery!  I think of all the treats I would sell... And eat ;)

Sleepless, I usually start off with some meditation and a body scan. Then I go to places in my imagination. If I'm reading a good book that isn't scary (mostly sci-fi and fantasy) I travel to that place. I think about what has happened in the book, imagine I'm there--what I see, hear, smell, taste, feel and think of different things I could do there. Sometimes I'll make up totally new places-like walking through a redwood forrest or to a very safe enchanted forest with fairies or a beach. I like to go to my "happy place" that is up in a redwood tree on an amazing mattress with a force field around it to keep intruders out and prevent me from falling out of the redwood. I'll focus on my breathing while I imagine the wind against my skin as it gently rocks the tree. It's soothing and helps pass the time. Sometimes I make up stories too.

[51...]
Many nights I go to bed hungry (I'm trying to lose weight) and I often put myself to sleep dreaming of sweets and fattening foods, lol.

That type of counting is a good idea... When things get too complicated in my brain I tend to doze off :)

I also think about my dream bakery!  I think of all the treats I would sell... And eat ;)

Oh Yum !!  I want a cupcake  :smitten:

I just try to create a story in my head and let it play out. Sometimes I can't tell if I stayed awake the whole time or if I feel into a short dream doze. I used to just empty my mind and allow myself to feel comfortable, but that never really seemed to help me fall asleep.

I contemplate the wisdom of the Buddha.  The Four Noble Truths, the Eightfold Path and other teachings.  I think about the sources of suffering such as delusion, greed, aversion and reactivity.  I remind myself of what a wise monk once said:  "Letting go a little brings a little peace.  Letting go a lot brings a lot of peace.  Letting go completely brings complete peace."  And there's another piece of Buddhist wisdom that I remind myself of in the wee hours:  "Just being alive is enough."  I often listen to streaming audio of Buddhist talks.  One of the websites I use for this is www.AudioDharma.org.

Sleepless, I usually start off with some meditation and a body scan. Then I go to places in my imagination. If I'm reading a good book that isn't scary (mostly sci-fi and fantasy) I travel to that place. I think about what has happened in the book, imagine I'm there--what I see, hear, smell, taste, feel and think of different things I could do there. Sometimes I'll make up totally new places-like walking through a redwood forrest or to a very safe enchanted forest with fairies or a beach. I like to go to my "happy place" that is up in a redwood tree on an amazing mattress with a force field around it to keep intruders out and prevent me from falling out of the redwood. I'll focus on my breathing while I imagine the wind against my skin as it gently rocks the tree. It's soothing and helps pass the time. Sometimes I make up stories too.

This is good.

I think about plants, flowers, growing vegetables, plant biology. I wish they were in my dreams, but my mind is hijacked by fearful things. I too think about the Buddha, the nature of suffering, and how to just be with all that arises in my body and mind. Laying in the dark, I notice my breath, over and over, and that is when there is no thinking and I find peace.

I think about plants, flowers, growing vegetables, plant biology. I wish they were in my dreams, but my mind is hijacked by fearful things. I too think about the Buddha, the nature of suffering, and how to just be with all that arises in my body and mind. Laying in the dark, I notice my breath, over and over, and that is when there is no thinking and I find peace.

Benniejets, very nice.  Of course all that arises passes and this includes our benzo-related ordeals.