Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Is Juarez, Mexico Safe Enough to Visit?

[Be...]

My son has plans to visit a friend who lives in Juarez, Mexico. I told him he shouldn't go and I am basically freaking out. He will meet her in El Paso, Texas and she'll drive over the bridge to Juarez. I know there's a State Dept. warning out now. The friend says "it's a lot safer now." Anyone been there recently?

Becky

I live in Dallas, I went a couple years ago when I was in El Paso but I have no clue about it now, I do have a friend that lived in Juarez for a while and she was fine but I'm not sure. Sorry I couldn't be of better help.

Hi brcrim. Did you feel safe while you were in Juarez? He's a 20 something and not as street smart as his mother. I was in Juarez about 25 years ago, but that was with my tall, strong cowboy boyfriend. I am worried about kidnapping. At least he'll be with a local who'll know where not to go.

Becky

I mean I felt uncomfortable only because I don't speak Spanish very well, maybe he does? That's the only reason I felt uncomfortable because I couldn't communicate as well as I wanted to, I'm 22 now and I was 19 when I went and I was fine. If his friend is a local then that would be a big positive. She can communicate effectively and would know where and where not to go.

Hi!

I have not been in Juárez Lately but close to it, it is much safer now. It is not unsafe like it was few years back. Your son is going to be fine, plus he is going to be with a mexican, do not worry  :thumbsup:

Hi!

I have not been in Juárez Lately but close to it, it is much safer now. It is not unsafe like it was few years back. Your son is going to be fine, plus he is going to be with a mexican, do not worry  :thumbsup:

Thanks Clona. I was in Juarez 35 years ago with my boyfriend. It was like the Wild West but I was adventurous and young lol. It was fun drinking shots of Tequila with my cowboy boyfriend. I did have a bad experience after that in Cancun with the Mexican police. Boyfriend drove the car a little too fast (maybe) and he "paid the fine" there instead of going to the police station. I still hope to talk him out of it though.

• 3 weeks later...

Son's back in the states now. He was fine and toured with his Mexican friends. I am relieved though that he's back. Thanks everyone who responded to my post.

Becky  :smitten:

Son's back in the states now. He was fine and toured with his Mexican friends. I am relieved though that he's back. Thanks everyone who responded to my post.

Becky  :smitten:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

Becky, I am glad your Son is back and fine. It is getting worse. Mexico is not longer safe for US visitors. Specially the north and central part. La peninsula de Yucatan is OK, just keep yourselves in the turistic areas.