Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Wary of a man I might date. Advice please? A scammer?

[be...]

I met this man at match.com. I can't tell you everything or it will take up too much space. But I think he might be a scammer.

He has a heavy German accent yet his email says is last name is Diaz. Spanish. He said he graduated from Manhattaville yet he only came to this country in 2004 and he is 60. He says he is a building contractor and a multi millionaire. He says he lives in the richest town in the country. I called 411 and they didn't say his name was unlisted, but there is no Diaz in Greenwich. He is supposedly heading a bridge building job in Cape Town. I checked his area code there and it was correct.

Then he said he lost part of his luggage and lost his laptop, two cell phone and a Play Station for his son, who went along with him. He said his son is in college but yet he took six weeks off to go with his dad. I asked him where his son went to college and he never addressed that, plus other questions he avoided. Or why he was able to take 6 weeks off.

The kicker is he wanted me to send him $6,400 to replace these things, to be sent to a person with another name. I told he we have not even met so I am unwilling to do so, especially since I have been scammed before. He says his son is addicted to Facebook, yet he is not a member there. Then he kept calling me several times asking me for $2,600 to buy the lap top. Then he sent me very angry emails asking why I didn't send him the money ASAP. He must have sent 15 of them. He keeps changing the year in which his wife died. His wife, or some other woman, is on his cell voice mail. He said he is too old to figure out how to change the greeting, yet he is an expert on his computer. Then he said his son hated me for not sending me the money. I did a search for his son and as far as I can tell, he does not exist. Then I told him I have been burned before, but he assured me he would not do this to me. I told him my X would track down his background as he works for a very large newspaper and has ready access to a PI. Then he got super angry to me about this. He said if I have any contact with my X, don't bother him again, as I kept reminding him that I would not send him any money until I get the PI's report.

Is he a scammer? BTW, he did send me pix of him working on this job site and they do match the pix he posted on Match.com But a German with the name Diaz? He never answered that to me, as well as other many things.

Thanks, Bets

Oh hell, yes.  Run, run as fast as you can.  Who in the world would otherwise ask for money from someone he'd never met?  Bad news.

:tickedoff:

[move]SCAMMER SCAMMER SCAMMER SCAMMER SCAMMER SCAMMER SCAMMER[/move]

Run away as fast as your legs can possibly take you and don't look back.

I will run like hell. My X, Ted, said that someone who you never met and tell you he lost his luggage is the most common scam. He said, DON'T GIVE HIM A SINGLE CENT!!!!!!! He has my cell phone but I will block him and report him to match, right now! Ted also said he might live in Greenwich but super good scammers work together and make a lot of money so he might have purchased the house in Greenwich.

My judgment in withdrawal and for quite awhile in recovery was horrible.  My best friend told me I was not allowed to make decisions of any sort without running it by her first.  I'm finally off my leash now. 

This guy is so full of XXXX I smell it from here. EVERYTHING HE SAID WAS A LIE. There is no house in Greenwich, he is not a millionaire, there is no lost luggage, etc. SCAMMER. Never speak to him again.

Sadly, I have too much experience at this.  My best advice is to follow your gut.  It has already given you the truth and that is all you need to know.  If I could change anything at all in my life it is that I knew every time I was about to get into trouble and yet I didn't trust my gut. I waited for proof I knew I would find.  Now, I have to truly say I'm grateful for the lessons learned but I've been taken advantage of by a few unscrupulous mentally defunct individuals.  Not that they aren't deserving of love and attention but, well, not on my dime and not at the expense of my well deserved and usually completely stable sanity.  Now I see them coming a mile away and I politely say no thank you and then end up filing the restraining order.  The last one is good till November when hopefully after 5 years my stalker will have found something better to do with his time!  Follow your gut.  Trust me. :)

Ever...

Jeez Bets, I thought of going on that site, but have watched too many Dr. Phil programs, I think its called

Catfish, they are crooks from overseas and have a network of help all over the world. Asking me for money

is a big turn off. Glad you still have your facility's.

• 2 weeks later...

NIGERIAN SCAMMER ALERT

With  German Accent living in South Africa  ??? Its a BOER!! a South African of Dutch, German, or Huguenot descent, especially one of the early settlers of the Transvaal and the Orange Free State. Today, descendants of the Boers are commonly referred to as Afrikaners. ;)

love Nova XXX  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: