Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Whats your favorite Sci-fi series?

[wa...]

I just finished watching Stargate SG-1 and wow what a great series that was. I haven't really watched it since it was on Showtime back in the 90s. It took FOREVER to watch all 214 episodes of it, I started watching it like 8 months ago. It really helped me to get my mind off of the wd symptoms when they were persistent and I just wanted to be reclusive. I am about to start Atlantis now. I have seen random episodes of it a few years ago and it looked fun. Ive seen all of the Trek episodes, I liked them all really, especially TNG and DS9. Are there anymore great series that you recommend? Preferably involving military interstellar exploration/conquest, but it doesn't matter as long as it is good.

Torchwood, Sense8, Firefly, Dr. Who.  If you like to really geek out, Babylon 5 and Battlestar Galactica are pretty fun.  🐙

Ah yes Babylon 5. I forgot about that one. Ive heard from people in the past that it was similar to Deep Space 9. Ive seen it a couple of times years ago. I cant seem to find it on Netflix or Hulu though.

I haven't seen any of the 2000s Battlestar yet, I will have to look it up.

Torchwood, Sense8, Firefly, Dr. Who.  If you like to really geek out, Babylon 5 and Battlestar Galactica are pretty fun.  🐙

Ah yes Babylon 5. I forgot about that one. Ive heard from people in the past that it was similar to Deep Space 9. Ive seen it a couple of times years ago. I cant seem to find it on Netflix or Hulu though.

This is a decent way to stream, and includes all 5 seasons.  :thumbsup:

http://www.watchseries.li/serie/babylon_5

Cool, thanks! If these dont play right im sure I can find it through other means. Anything less than DVD quality looks like crap on my 55".

It looks like I still need to watch Stargate: Arc of Truth to see what happens to the Ori. They ended SG-1 to quickly, but other than that it was probably one of the best shows ive seen.

TNG was my fav.

If your into PC games, you should check out www.eveonline.com.  You get a 14 free trial.

If you like the whole space militarization exploring and conquest thing.  Eve would be right up your alley I suspect. 

Star trek is my favorite aswell, particularly TNG and DS9, but I really liked them all including Enterprise. However, trek movies after Insurrection have progressively gotten worse. I am not a big fan of the new "TOS reboots". Why not try to create a decent movie containing members from TNG (before they are too old or dead), DS9, VOY that are in a timeline consistent with the present time in that universe, instead of these TOS reboots with imitation characters? IMO they are killing the franchise with these.

Star trek is my favorite aswell, particularly TNG and DS9, but I really liked them all including Enterprise. However, trek movies after Insurrection have progressively gotten worse. I am not a big fan of the new "TOS reboots". Why not try to create a decent movie containing members from TNG (before they are too old or dead), DS9, VOY that are in a timeline consistent with the present time in that universe, instead of these TOS reboots with imitation characters? IMO they are killing the franchise with these.

I quite like the newer star trek movies and the choice of the cast. 

having said that, I like them all pretty much.

Now, you want to talk about bad sci-fi? StarWars episode 1 2 and 3 were abominations.

Agree g33K - awful.  The first one, which I saw when it came out, was incredible. No 3 D, no IMAX and guess what it blew everyone away. I still think it is the best one.  And every time I see it again - I remember why I loved Star Wars.

I saw Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi at a drive in theater when they came out. The kind where you had to hang the speaker on the car window. Return of the Jedi is my favorite from the Star Wars series. I have yet to see ep7 yet, ill wait until it comes out on bluray. Hopefully it wont be quite as disappointing as the previous 3.

Ep1,2,3 were just ok, I actually liked Master Quigon but could not stand Jar Jar. They seemed like G rated disney movies to me.

I suppose I am more critical of trek for some reason, i'm not quite sure why though.

I am a huge scifi  guy and Battlestar blew me away.  Watch that next.  Old, cheesy, and good is Blake 7 from England. It was shot with the extra stuff from the original dr. who so the production is terrible but very good story with one of the best endings ever.

I saw Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi at a drive in theater when they came out. The kind where you had to hang the speaker on the car window. Return of the Jedi is my favorite from the Star Wars series. I have yet to see ep7 yet, ill wait until it comes out on bluray. Hopefully it wont be quite as disappointing as the previous 3.

Ep1,2,3 were just ok, I actually liked Master Quigon but could not stand Jar Jar. They seemed like G rated disney movies to me.

I suppose I am more critical of trek for some reason, i'm not quite sure why though.

I've seen FA, just last week actually in the theater.  I'd say it's tied for 3rd place with ROTJ in my rankings for starwars movies.

I'm going to hold my opinions on that movie in the thread as there are obviously people who haven't seen it and I don't want to spoil or taint the viewing experience.  I will say that as far as sci-fi in general goes, it's leaps and bounds beyond Ep 1,2,3. 

For me, Empire Strikes Back was by far my favorite, and is probably my most favorite movie of all time, followed by ANH. 

This link runs down the reasons why ESB was by far the best I the series for me: http://hubpages.com/entertainment/tenreasonsempirebest

I'm 37, so I never had the experience of seeing ANH and letting that sink in by waiting 2 or 3 years for ESB to be released. Also, I'm not even entirely sure I saw ROTJ in the theater but I think I might have. I would have been 4.5 years old.  For this reason, I think it probably explains why I don't put ANH ahead of the rest.  It wasn't really the first for me as I was too young.  As far back as I can remember I always liked ESB.  It's the one that made the biggest impression on my young mind.  Probably because it was obviously the scariest at the time!

I just finished watching Stargate SG-1 and wow what a great series that was. I haven't really watched it since it was on Showtime back in the 90s. It took FOREVER to watch all 214 episodes of it, I started watching it like 8 months ago. It really helped me to get my mind off of the wd symptoms when they were persistent and I just wanted to be reclusive. I am about to start Atlantis now. I have seen random episodes of it a few years ago and it looked fun. Ive seen all of the Trek episodes, I liked them all really, especially TNG and DS9. Are there anymore great series that you recommend? Preferably involving military interstellar exploration/conquest, but it doesn't matter as long as it is good.

You've named the ones I would recommend for "military interstellar exploration/conquest" but some others I have liked are earth bound are Eureka, 4400 and a mini series The Lost Room.  I really did like the show John Doe but it was only one season.  Just thought of it Firefly.

Sweet pea

• 3 weeks later...

After Star Trek- there was: Space 1999. It was my favorite- then.  Nowadays- I couldn't make it through the first couple of episodes of the second season without screaming about the production values of the writers taking a distinct turn towards the south.

Twilight Zone. The Outer Limits. Kolchak- the Night Stalker. X-files. Doctor Who. Battlestar Galactica (Old & New). Babylon 5. All of the Star Treks: Original, Animated, Movies, TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT, and yes most of the fan shoots- Axanar seemed best.

The Dark Side. Fringe. and a couple others the names of which elude me right now.