Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Movies & Tv shows

[Sa...]

I just saw The Revenant.

Almost everyone i run into says oh my did you see the movie and goes on about how great they thought it was.

Need i say i thought the opposite?  In fact i can't believe the hype about it.  Thought the acting was terrible too.  Just a plain old boring film. 

Didn't anyone teach me that if i have nothing good to say it's better not to say anything at all?  :tickedoff:

No. If you thought it was terrible then it was terrible! I'm the same with the bloody awful Mamma Mia! How Meryl Streep and Pierce Brosnan were persuaded to do such a pile of stinking sh*t is unbelievable!

So I'm guessing you're not backing Leonardo for the Oscar then??!!! Lol!

No. If you thought it was terrible then it was terrible! I'm the same with the bloody awful Mamma Mia! How Meryl Streep and Pierce Brosnan were persuaded to do such a pile of stinking sh*t is unbelievable!

So I'm guessing you're not backing Leonardo for the Oscar then??!!! Lol!

Gilly,

I second your take on Mamma Mia! Completely agree. 

Leonardo is the Golden Child, dare i say, but i do!  Awful acting! I could have done a better job if it wasn't for the freezing temps :tickedoff:

I bet he gets it this time, Saraa. That's interesting that you think he is the Golden Child. I heard there was some trouble because there were no nominations for black actors. I think that black actors should be on the same standing as everyone else. But I wouldn't like to see a black actor nominated as tokenism just because he/she was black. Difficult situation. I think Jada Pinkett-Smith was boycotting the ceremony because of the situation.

You know i don't think anyone should be boycotted.  Black actors are every bit as good as Hispanics, who have not been nominated either alongside of asians and middle easterners.  Having said that,  i really don't know what the proportions are as far as the population that goes to the movies.  I think more white.  And at the end of the day its a big business both the movies and the Oscars.  If more movies/award programs starring other/all minorities made more money they would surely show more respect/recognition.

I like to watch movies with good looking actors who can act. 

Acting is not what it used to be for sure neither are the stars.

I feel we have little kids running around that don't fit the bill of big screen motion picture stars of the past.

Sign of getting old? Perhaps, but this one of the signs of aging that i will accept with pleasure.

I was talking about this the other day with my boyfriend. We are both in our mid to late forties and I remember watching great black and white films with my grandma on Saturday afternoons. He remembers them too. My grandma used to say " Ooh, it's Spencer Tracy" or " Ooh, Walter Pidgeon". Now that's a name I haven't heard since then! I might Google him.

My daughter Rebecca watched b/w film " Rebecca" with me as it was her name. Directed by Hitchcock I think. Cracking good film. Oscar winner too.

Yes, we have celebrities these days, not Stars ( with a capital S). Gilly x

Ahhhh,  Walter pigeon and Greer Carson almost unparralled duo. How green was my valley another great film starring both of them.

Yes too many celebrities i don't care for these days.  I want the Stars to come back  :smitten:

I have the DVD of How Green Was My Valley downstairs but I've never watched it. My daughter Rebecca were going to see if we could watch all the films that had ever won a Best Picture Oscar. Alas, she is too busy now. But that doesn't stop me from watching them. I also got Bridge on the River Kwai. Is that good? Gilly x

A big Yes to Bridge over the River Kwai _ Alec Guinness

How Green was my valley- you have it down stairs, Nice,  thats one you can go back to over the years.  Only a couple of movies i can say that about.  Lawrence of arabia is another.  The God father of course !

Cool. Haven't seen either of those. Will make a mental note!

By the way, is that a big celebration tomorrow? A full year off Klonopin? Congratulations!!! Yay!!! Gilly x

Saraa and Gilly, I also miss the old Movies, and the true Stars, and how I felt sitting and watching and dream

ing of being there at that very moment. No there are no real Stars anymore, Reality Stars, my foot. Give me

a good Movie from the Olden Days anytime.  :)

begood,

You hit the nail on the head, Yes, the element of dreaming has been taken out of the movies.

You should be a consultant to the movie makers. 

Put back the dreaminess of movies. pleeeaaaassseeee :smitten:

The thing to me is that movie stars used to be in their own world which was separate from ours. We got snippets of information but not much. Look how Rock Hudson hid his homosexuality. That would be hard to keep secret nowadays because the actors are even on Twitter. They are so much in the public forum. They have lost their mystique and Star quality. I think that's part of it.

Gilly I agree we know too much about their life, and I am not a peeping tom, so I tend not to read or listen to the latest scandal. I just finished

watching "The Voyage" with Sophia Loren and Richard Burton, and it was very good and bring back these good old Movies. Set in 1900's and

beautiful scenery, and good acting.  :thumbsup:

Oh Gee, I just watched the last part of "HUD" with Paul Newman, in black and white, gosh I saw that so

many years ago, but that was when we had Real Acting.  :D

Saraa hope you are doing well and Gilly hope you are too.  :hug::mybuddy::hug:

Saraa, good that a year is behind you, will be glad when I can say that.

http://www.ittaleem.com/attachments/announcment-greetings/95206d1302020665-congratulaions-mughali-siso-4-000-fascinating-posts-312994d43a2979e808.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I have the DVD of How Green Was My Valley downstairs but I've never watched it. My daughter Rebecca were going to see if we could watch all the films that had ever won a Best Picture Oscar. Alas, she is too busy now. But that doesn't stop me from watching them. I also got Bridge on the River Kwai. Is that good? Gilly x

Oh My yes, Gilly. One great flix. A classic.

Saraa and Gilly, I also miss the old Movies, and the true Stars, and how I felt sitting and watching and dream

ing of being there at that very moment. No there are no real Stars anymore, Reality Stars, my foot. Give me

a good Movie from the Olden Days anytime.  :)

Like the Philadelphia Story and Some Like It Hot? Good ones. So is True Grit. Love that scene when a drunk John Wayne falls of his horse. "We'll camp here." ha ha.