Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

internet dating!!

[...]

Hi Asus,

I've tried it 9 years ago, I think it was called speed date when you are chatting for three minutes and then deciding if you want to continue. Well, I hit Yes and we talked for 8 hours. To make this story short, I've never believed in internet dating but that's how I met my fiancee. I moved to England and it was our 8th anniversary this summer. You never know what and who is waiting for you.  ;)

[24...]

I met my current wife on match.com. That was something like 13 years ago. I was in Boston, she was in Kingston Jamaica (!) Normally one looks for local matches, but I was feeling adventurous and answered an ad from someone far away in an exotic spot. We corresponded for a while, then I flew to Kingston and met in person. We had a wildly romantic courtship for a couple years - lots of travel. It was romantic to meet up in exotic locales. We got engaged, got married, she moved to the US. We had a happy 10 years or so, but sadly we are separated now. I think my benzo addiction/withdrawal nightmare had a lot to do with the separation. It was hard for her to deal with. I don't blame her; it's hard for *anyone* to deal with. There's still a possibility we'll get back together. A lot of that is contingent on me getting off the drugs and healing up and getting better.

Well, I'm rambling, but on the online dating thing, if you're up for it then go for it! You'll probably have a lot of duds, but who knows you might meet the love of your life or at least have a romantic adventure. What's the alternative? Sitting in your apartment alone watching TV is not appealing and has zero chance of meeting anyone...

Take care,

Chessplayer

I'm 25, I joined okcupid.com and literally the only girl that messaged me back was this gorgeous redhead, who turned out to be premed, have all her shit together and comes from a wealthy family. While I have been arrested multiple times (never convicted), am pretty poor and now this. She was also 4 years younger than me ;).

The girl I least expected to respond, did. .  and I'm more in love than I have ever been. I'm sure she would say the same.

thats awesome news!! but the only ones ive got so far are scammers...i seem to be good at baiting them lol  :)

i dont know if this goes against web protocol but id like to pm some people who have responded my profile name so they can check it out and critique it for me  yes or no?

cuz im very unphotogenic and i totally suck at emailing women...this site doesnt count cuz its...non i dont know pressure filled and stuff i hope you get what i mean  :angel:

I don't know you so I don't think reading your profile would help. My suggestion is to do what I did. Have one of your friends who knows you well preferably a female friend  ( I had a male friend) look at your posting for you. She will know what to say or not say. The worst thing to do in an online dating profile  IMHO is to not be truthful. I got so tired of reading about "I love to walk on the beach, read, go to concerts etc etc". I liked the real people who said I watch football every Sunday, like to sleep on the couch in the afternoon, love a good hamburger etc. You get what I mean.  Be real and be yourself.  You want someone to love you and that person is out there somewhere waiting to meet you. 

thats awesome news!! but the only ones ive got so far are scammers...i seem to be good at baiting them lol  :)

i dont know if this goes against web protocol but id like to pm some people who have responded my profile name so they can check it out and critique it for me  yes or no?

cuz im very unphotogenic and i totally suck at emailing women...this site doesnt count cuz its...non i dont know pressure filled and stuff i hope you get what i mean  :angel:

You could do what I did. There's a reddit page for OKcupid etc, you can post your profile and have others critique it. . . they can be harsh though. Oddly enough, I met my girlfriend by asking her why no one was responding to my messages. . . and then for about a week SHE became my consultant, trying to help me fix up my profile. . . And then I tricked her into a first date. . . which is where I tricked her into falling for me.

Ok Honesty I was introduce to online when match.com was free, and in honesty I met in person over 100 fellows and 90 or more of them lied about one thing or another , wife, job, age, heigh, weight, local, the others only 1 I fell for thought God had forgiven me sent me someone that I like that likes me,,,,,,,,,,well it was the devil,,,,,,,got a "email"  (before texting)  title Confession,,,,,the mr wonderful was married, and his wife just had a baby and he wanted me to go to his home to have sex,,,,,,,,,,,,gag me with a wet noodel,,,,,,,,,cryed over that dude, broke my heart, :'(,,,,,,this clown took me to the beach and fed me grapes,,,,,,,,,,,so I got google+  and all these fellows adding me, so I watched catfish and you can search image, and all but two are mentioned in scams,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, guess not much has changed,,,,,,,my uncle's wife of 30 yrs met a scottish man online left my uncle, went to scottland well she is back and my uncle did not take her back,,,,,,,,,,,,,so with what I have witness and personally experianced, better just hang out in a park, when fellows are walking their dogs

My son met his wife on match.com....She is a sweetheart and they are so in love, he was in his early 40's when he met her. If I was younger I would go for it....

• 1 month later...
I am on match. I got five replies. Four were would be scammers and one nice guy who said he already met someone else. Never did meet any of them in person. I think I am going to switching dating sites. or maybe it's just me. :o

Not you Bets!  Took a few years but met my husband on Match.  Best thing I did was Match ... of course be careful but you already know that as I've read several of your posts and you are one smart gal.

Good luck, Donna

Well that didn't last long for me  :( my withdrawal symptoms got too bad, and when i explained what was going on, well that was it.

not too surprised since all my so called friends did the same thing. Now i know what a leper feels like  ::)

So i guess I'll just wait till July or august when i should be done my taper

:thumbsup:

Not you Bets!  Took a few years but met my husband on Match.  Best thing I did was Match ... of course be careful but you already know that as I've read several of your posts and you are one smart gal.

Good luck, Donna

Thanks Donna: I really hope so. I have only been on it for a month.

asu: What a bummer! See that's why we are a secret society here. I will never tell unless I get engaged. If she did this to you, she wasn't worthy of you. When I think of these people, it reminds me of the Elton John song, "better off dead." lol.