Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Smartphone question? Unrelated to forum.

[Be...]

Why are some ppl. who are using smartphones having delayed voice messages?  It seems to be a problem with some smartphones.  The guy who does my shopping for me has a Nokia Smartphone with Windows 8.1 OS and every since he's had it, whenever I call him, he doesn't get my voice messages right away even though my phone number will come up on his screen that I called.  He told me his voice messages are always delayed for hours and sometimes for up to 12 hours.  He says the problem is his Sprint carrier, but it's not getting fixed.  He had the phone for months and it's done that since he's had the phone.  He said he needed to call Sprint months ago.  But from I've seen researching on the web, it could a number of other things causing the problem.  Everytime I call him and leave a voice message, he'll call me back and say, "I see you called.  What did you want?"  He does this all the time.  This is a huge problem for me because I need to give him messages about my food order for when he goes to the store.  I have cog fog so badly that I can't remember then what I called for when he calls me back later in the day to ask what I wanted.  What's the point of having a smartphone if you aren't getting your voice messages instantly?  Any input about what is wrong with his phone or the carriers?  Does anyone else have that problem?  Then he comes here and tries to use his smartphone here and he says he can't get Wifi reception here.  His Blackberry worked fine, so what's with the smartphone?  He's computer illiterate so I'm wondering if it might be his Windows 8.1 that is a problem?   

Sorry, I can't answer your question, but I also have Sprint cell (smart) phone service, and some of the texts people send me, don't ever come through.

I think he should start out by calling Spring.  They might be able to help.

8.1 is notoriously bad. He can upgrade to 10 for free. I also have similar problems with my iPhone 6+. The main problem is that when someone calls me or texts me, it doesn't ring. Ever. I have AT&T and can't wait to get rid of it. My brother's Blackberry works just fine and the battery lasts alot longer.

Bets

This guy is computer illiterate.  He could never do an upgrade to Windows 10 on that smartphone.  He will never figure out this problem without alot of help.  I can't help him.  I don't understand cellphones and never used one and definitely don't know anything about smartphones.  Maybe it is his carrier?  I'm too sick to deal with him and his phone.  He was here today with it and he had no idea what he was saying.  He said he had an upgrade of some sort.  He doesn't even know what he's saying.  It was maybe an update.  I have no idea.  I don't know why I even posted this question on the forum.  I don't even understand it.  All I know is when I call him he never gets my messages until hours or days later and he keeps calling me back asking me what I wanted.  It's a mess, just like my life. 

This guy is computer illiterate.  He could never do an upgrade to Windows 10 on that smartphone.  He will never figure out this problem without alot of help.  I can't help him.  I don't understand cellphones and never used one and definitely don't know anything about smartphones.  Maybe it is his carrier?  I'm too sick to deal with him and his phone.  He was here today with it and he had no idea what he was saying.  He said he had an upgrade of some sort.  He doesn't even know what he's saying.  It was maybe an update.  I have no idea.  I don't know why I even posted this question on the forum.  I don't even understand it.  All I know is when I call him he never gets my messages until hours or days later and he keeps calling me back asking me what I wanted.  It's a mess, just like my life.

I can give you the name and phone # of a really nice and smart tech guy. No matter where you live. He can upload Windows 10 by remote access. And his prices are very reasonable. I use him all of the time.

Bets

Bets, this guy isn't interested.  Everything I say to him trying to help he won't listen to.  He tunes me out if I even try to suggest anything.  I can't help him.  I shouldn't have even posted this question, I was just interested myself, I guess.  I sent him links with suggestions, and he didn't even read them.  He wouldn't understand them anyway.  He's in big trouble without any computer knowledge about OS's, etc.  How can computer illiterate ppl. use smartphones with OS's?  If something goes wrong with the OS what do they do?  He didn't even know what MS updates were. 

Bets, this guy isn't interested.  Everything I say to him trying to help he won't listen to.  He tunes me out if I even try to suggest anything.  I can't help him.  I shouldn't have even posted this question, I was just interested myself, I guess.  I sent him links with suggestions, and he didn't even read them.  He wouldn't understand them anyway.  He's in big trouble without any computer knowledge about OS's, etc.  How can computer illiterate ppl. use smartphones with OS's?  If something goes wrong with the OS what do they do?  He didn't even know what MS updates were.

Becks: That's too bad. He sounds stubborn to me. Does he even know what URL means? So now he has an expensive toy that doesn't work. Better buy a simple cell phone, if they even exist anymore.

This guy never used a computer in his life until he got this Smartphone.  He knows nothing really about the basics.  He doesn't know what a browser is, OS, the difference between updates and upgrades.  Doesn't even know to get on forums to ask and research problems like many ppl. do.  I tell him all this and all he does is argue and say why he can't do it.  He's very stubborn.  I guess because I'm so disabled now with dementia, etc. he thinks I don't know anything.  I know some basics.   

The pinnacle for smartphones right now in my opinion is an iPhone 6 Plus 128 GB Space Grey running iOS 9.2 with Verizon as the carrier and an Otterbox Defender for the case.  You should experience minimum problems with that setup in terms of connectivity and you'd have to run your phone over with a car in order to damage it.

Thanks, LifeInChaos.  Do smartphones need to be running anti-virus software on them?  I would think you would need to have that installed on them?  I don't know that much about computers and nothing about smartphones. 

Thanks, LifeInChaos.  Do smartphones need to be running anti-virus software on them?  I would think you would need to have that installed on them?  I don't know that much about computers and nothing about smartphones.

Smartphones do not need to have anti-virus software running because the programmers have to pay a fee in order to have their apps published in the App Store.  For example, Apple charges individuals $99 per year.  The app has to be inspected by Apple's staff and go through a series of tests before it is accepted to the App Store and be available for downloading.