Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

What is the Meaning of Your BB User Name?

[Sh...]

[69...]

Hi She,

What a great thread - it has really solved some interesting mysteries!

My BB name comes from my Dad - he used to call me Leslie or Les, possibly as a small apology for my first name, which was rare and brought me great embarrassment at school. My middle name, beginning with L, was worse and compounded the misery. So, we agreed to like Leslie (but in real life I still go by my now-trendy given name).

After joining BB, I found out that there's an actress in the UK who has alas become known for, among other thing, a series of unfortunate cosmetic enhancements - but NO, not I'm THAT Leslie Ash!

Although my once-unusual first name was complete bully-bait in the old days, now it is so common that I find myself turning on the street upon hearing a mom yelling my name at her wayward daughter. It's very common on BenzoBuddies too, and more than once I have caught myself before nearly replying to posts with my name, thinking they were for me, but that were for a different ______.  :laugh:

Leslie and ______.  :smitten:

Edit: TMI

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Sh...]

• [be...]

• [ga...]

• [be...]

Hi She,

My BB name comes from my Dad - he used to call me Leslie or Les, possibly as a small apology for my first name, which was rare and brought me great embarrassment at school. My middle name, beginning with L, was worse and compounded the misery. So, we agreed to like Leslie (but in real life I still go by my now-trendy given name). The Ash part comes from the ashes of my life while in benzo withdrawal, but from which I hoped to rise up one day - still working on that.

After joining BB, I found out that there's an actress in the UK who has alas become known for, among other thing, a series of unfortunate cosmetic enhancements - but NO, not I'm THAT Leslie Ash!

Although my once-unusual first name was complete bully-bait in the old days, now it is so common that I find myself turning on the street upon hearing a mom yelling my name at her wayward daughter. It's very common on BenzoBuddies too, and more than once I have caught myself before nearly replying to posts with my name, thinking they were for me, but that were for a different ______.  :laugh:

Leslie, Les and ______.  :smitten:

Love the story behind your user name.  I too have a name that when the full name is used sounds very formal and prim.  However, I don't like the two shortened versions of it.  One makes me sound like a 10 year old in pigtails and the other sounds short and too curt like something you would spit out of your mouth.  So now I will always be guessing your once-unusual name whenever I read your posts!

:smitten:

She

[69...]

Hi She,

My BB name comes from my Dad - he used to call me Leslie or Les, possibly as a small apology for my first name, which was rare and brought me great embarrassment at school. My middle name, beginning with L, was worse and compounded the misery. So, we agreed to like Leslie (but in real life I still go by my now-trendy given name). The Ash part comes from the ashes of my life while in benzo withdrawal, but from which I hoped to rise up one day - still working on that.

Leslie, Les and ______.  :smitten:

Love the story behind your user name.  I too have a name that when the full name is used sounds very formal and prim.  However, I don't like the two shortened versions of it.  One makes me sound like a 10 year old in pigtails and the other sounds short and too curt like something you would spit out of your mouth.  So now I will always be guessing your once-unusual name whenever I read your posts!

She

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I have to admit, I just spent the past hour trying to figure out what your real name is, too!  ;D

Edit: An afterthought

• 1 year later...
Ginger is the name of my cat.  12 stands for December, that's the month I got her.  7 stands for the last digit of 2007, that's the year I got her.  I love my kitty.  :) 

Love my Kitty, too. More than anything in the world. She turned 6 in April. Human 40 yrs old. My name stands for Estee Lauder. My fav beauty products brand. Awesome businesswoman. A role model in every respect.

Fun reading how and why others chose a screen name.

Mine is a reminder to me never to take for granted what others may say or do, a doctor prescribed klonopin and as I was in a weak state of mind at the time I just took it rather than doing my usual checking.

So I am 2trusting when I should have been suspicious.

2trusting

This is a great thread! It really did put an end to some of the mysteries in my head and new ones have replaced them... "ok, cool, I wonder what his/her real name is?" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

My acute was horrific, I found BB 5 or 6 weeks into it. I remember even in my severely altered state I was aware that negative mind set would sink me. Raw inside and out, vulnerable in a way I never imagined possible. I obsessed over positive words and thoughts even when I didn't believe them. The intrusive thoughts were unrelenting and so I just continued for months and months to talk over them in my head and out loud. I was careful about everything I consciously told myself. I would say, "there is anxiety in me" rather than "I am anxious", I had to believe that it was a symptom and not the reality of who I am... I listened to Eckhart Tolle over and over and over again, since my memory was wiped, I thought I would feed it with the thoughts that live in the mind of someone healthier and more enlightented than me.

So, lovewins was the first thing I thought of when I needed to pick a name. Negative things were flooding my mind and as I pushed them aside Love Wins came in. It came from a deep need to know that the pain would leave and love/peace and health would emerge. 

Blessings to all...

Love

This is a great thread! It really did put an end to some of the mysteries in my head and new ones have replaced them... "ok, cool, I wonder what his/her real name is?" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

My acute was horrific, I found BB 5 or 6 weeks into it. I remember even in my severely altered state I was aware that negative mind set would sink me. Raw inside and out, vulnerable in a way I never imagined possible. I obsessed over positive words and thoughts even when I didn't believe them. The intrusive thoughts were unrelenting and so I just continued for months and months to talk over them in my head and out loud. I was careful about everything I consciously told myself. I would say, "there is anxiety in me" rather than "I am anxious", I had to believe that it was a symptom and not the reality of who I am... I listened to Eckhart Tolle over and over and over again, since my memory was wiped, I thought I would feed it with the thoughts that live in the mind of someone healthier and more enlightented than me.

So, lovewins was the first thing I thought of when I needed to pick a name. Negative things were flooding my mind and as I pushed them aside Love Wins came in. It came from a deep need to know that the pain would leave and love/peace and health would emerge. 

Blessings to all...

Love

Such a beautiful testimony to the power of the mind and the resilience of the spirit even in the midst of such suffering.  I love your BB name and the positivity it evokes.  Thank you for sharing

She

So Leslie:

What IS that embarrassing name? :laugh: I think mine is not clever at all. In hindsight, I would have maybe used, toostupidtoknow.

“Red sky at night, sailor’s delight. Red Sky in morning, sailors take warning.”

I grew up in a fishing village. This was a popular saying to predict the weather.

Who doesn’t appreciate a red sunset or sunrise?

Dichotomy.

All our joys are outlined by pain.

Windows and waves.

We will all be master wave riders after this.

Xoxo

I grew up in a fishing village. This was a popular saying to predict the weather.

Dichotomy.

Windows and waves.

Xoxo

Yes I know that saying well.  I thought it was what was behind your name.  Loved your explanation of the process.

She

Dichotomy.

Windows and waves.

Xoxo

Red: As a New Englander who bought seafood off the boats, I knew this was your name. Oddly, that's where the name pickleball comes from. A pickle boat us the last one home to port.

[d1...]

Mine comes from Homer's Odyssey.

Odysseus lands on the island of the Cyclops and, together with his men, enters a cave filled with provisions.

When the giant Polyphemus returns home he eats two of the men, scoffing at the usual custom of hospitality.

Polyphemus then asks Odysseus his name, promising him a guest-gift if he answers.

Odysseus tells him "Outis" which means "nobody" and Polyphemus promises to eat this "Nobody" last of all.

When Polyphemus shouts for help from his fellow Cyclopes, saying that "Nobody" has hurt him,

they think Polyphemus is somehow being afflicted.

Fun fact: As you can see from my profile I'm Greek and my real name is also in Homer's Odyssey.

Ginger is the name of my cat.  12 stands for December, that's the month I got her.  7 stands for the last digit of 2007, that's the year I got her.  I love my kitty.

:thumbsup: Ginger!

Dichotomy.

Windows and waves.

Xoxo

Red: As a New Englander who bought seafood off the boats, I knew this was your name. Oddly, that's where the name pickleball comes from. A pickle boat us the last one home to port.

Now I require some pickles! And maybe a ride in a pickle boat to top it off! I don't mind coming in last.

this topic is a lot of fun

Mine is a reference to the kids show from the 90's which I used to watch after school called "Pinky and the Brain". I felt like the character "Pinky" when I first joined while I was in acute withdrawal. He was sort of the good-natured but feeble minded idiot who spoils Brains plans to take over the world each episode. Some days i still feel like that. Brain represented everyone demanding more from me and not understanding (Brain is selfish and scheming) or myself some days demanding more of myself. Meanwhile I was just Pinky who spoils Brains plans at world domination without a clue why. My display pic is Pinky, the static in the background nicely represents how my mind felt too.

Feel less like Pinky these days and more like Brain trying to take over control again of my life. Like I can try but just cant follow through cause theres innocent pinky still there making a mess.