Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Can someone remind me why we have dogs?

[Au...]

Now, don't get me wrong, please, don't. I grew up with a dog. I adored him.

---DISCLAIMER: long story, and has dog-poop-issues as a leitmotif.-----

I lived with my boyfriend's dog. I ranged from liking him to adoring him. I loved them for being honest, and not faking emotions, I thought that they were great reminders that life can be simpler, and that walk and companionship can be sources of happiness.

Now my husband got us a young dog two months ago, and I have moments (like now) where I can't remember why anyone would do this to themselves. The first month and a half were the typical (a little bit worse than typical, but still) puppy-hell. Yes, he was adorable, but letting him out every 2 hours, even at night, cleaning poop and pee all the time, regardless of 10 walks a day and crate-training, his whining, biting, not letting us sleep... I was emotionally and physically drained more than ever.

I spent 1500 dollars on this dog in two months. The vet bills, the vaccines, the doggie daycare (without the daycare once or twice a week, we can't keep up with him), the food, the toys, the crate, the nail cutting...

He's potty-trained by now, and we have real patches of grass for him on the balcony. (We're in an apartment building.) He whined in his crate tonight, and I thought he might have to use the bathroom. But, you see, he doesn't like it outside when it rains. So he returned from the balcony right away, and in a matter of a minute, pooped all over our living room floor. (At 1 am.) I had to throw him back to the balcony in the middle of his pooping, to clean the mess (and encourage him to poop on the grass). But the grass was wet, and he hates the rain, so he started crying, because he wants to be let in. So I hear him cry and whine at 1 am while people are sleeping, and can't let him in until I clean his poop that's all over the floor. (Mind you, the crying is happening only because he doesn't like the rain; usually, he likes the balcony.)

So, I clean, I let him in. And he crouches to poop again. So I put some clothes on in an incredible hurry, and carry him downstairs (because he wanted to poop in the elevator). Then, when he's outside, he again doesn't want to walk because it's raining. I refused to go back home until he finally gave in and did his business. I was soaked, it was hard picking up after him with the bag, I was cold, he was cold, and on top of everything he is sulking at me for making him go outside.

The apartment is dirtier than before (it's just impossible to have it very clean with him), I have no time for myself, I lose sleep, I never know what he's going to eat, I never know whether he's going to throw up on the couch, poop on the floor, chew on the walls, toys, etc. if I don't watch him for a SECOND. And no, he's not under exercised. He was at the dog park today for hours, playing. He has stimulating toys and all kinds of crap that I felt I had to buy because it's making him happier and more adjusted. Tonight I really have trouble understanding why anyone does this to themselves. I love him, so this is not about rehoming him. Nor is anyone mistreating him in any way, he gets plenty of love. I just have a moment in which I simply don't understand why we brought this upon ourselves, as much as I love him.

Automn I can totally relate! 

I reiterate I love my dog with all my heart!  He is 100lbs and we live in the land of 40 below.  I find them difficult when things are going well much less "it hits the fan"!  To keep myself from losing my mind with him,  I regularly remind myself that he is my protection and would give his life for me.  That service is priceless.  He also scares off any potential problems because of his size, bark and stature.

I'm sure your bundle of joy provides the same benefits in his or her own way.  Just know you aren't alone and it is difficult some days and pure bliss other days.  Don't feel bad about it.  We are human and they are another responsibility while we can barely take care of ourselves.  So when I'm standing outside with him waiting for him to go while it's minus 40 or 50, I keep telling myself he loves me and how would I feel if I had my needs ignored or was punished for having needs.  That perspective really helps me.

Sending you love and light, Fifi  :smitten:

Hi Automn! I have a cat, so no such troubles. But I do think your dog will get easier. Try and put your faith in that. You are putting the effort in now and will be rewarded later.

Until then, I think that you have a dog in order to amuse the rest of us! Your description of life chez Mutt made me smile! And that's not always easy. So thank you!

Perhaps you could give us some more anecdotes as he gets older.

Good Luck! Gilly x

The dog should be fine. I've shown dogs in AKC competitions for 25 years. Dogs love you unconditionally. Cats permit you to live with them. I have two, so I should know, right Gilly? :smitten:

[ca...]
I have been looking for a puppy (a Whippet) and after reading this I'm having second thoughts.  Is this typical of how difficult it is?  I had Siberian Huskies years ago, but they lived outside so it wasn't an issue.  Maybe I should get a kitten?

Bets, you are probably right about cats. But my Tilly is a big softie. Dave's sister chose their cat because he came to greet them and they thought that meant he was friendly. What it actually meant was that he was the Alpha Male of the litter and was checking them out.

As such, he is haughty and you are lucky if he lets you near him.

My Tilly isn't like that. She even let's you tickle her tummy and between her toes. What a baby!

Hope you are okay. Gilly xxx

In my opinion, dogs and apartments don't mix. Ok maybe one of those slipper with teeth little toy dogs, but a real dog needs a yard. I grew up with a yard and many dogs. Now i live in town where it's crowded and mostly concrete. Some people have dogs and they and their dogs look miserable. Their lives revolve around when the dogs can go out to relieve themselves. There are crapmarks all over the sidewalk. Everything has been peed upon.

I understand pets are great, they're loving, etc. etc. but i think dogs in apartments are generally a bad idea. Cats can be ok, though some of them too can destroy an apartment. May i suggest a rat? They make wonderful pets and naturally are drawn to apartments (get it from a pet store of course). Only problem is their short lifespan of about 2 years.

• 4 months later...

I wanted to report back that the dog situation did get better. It's still very difficult, however, and I don't think that my husband would do it again if he could go back in time. But now we already love the dog, so it is what it is. He goes to doggy daycare three times a week and this helps immensely. He doesn't have accidents at home anymore. It's a lot of work and money and I would recommend the dog only to those that are absolutely sure they have time, money and patience to spare.

We had rodents in one apartment in NYC, but not by choice. I can't stand them, probably because I only saw the dirty ones roaming around the city.

Bets, you are probably right about cats. But my Tilly is a big softie. Dave's sister chose their cat because he came to greet them and they thought that meant he was friendly. What it actually meant was that he was the Alpha Male of the litter and was checking them out.

As such, he is haughty and you are lucky if he lets you near him.

My Tilly isn't like that. She even let's you tickle her tummy and between her toes. What a baby!

Hope you are okay. Gilly xxx

I'm so-so. My cats only let me go near them when I have treats in my hands. I guess they are both alpha cats, though sisters. ??? I have dogs so they can piss on my legs..........

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Oh goodness, I have an 8week old yorkie, he disracts me, gives me responsibility and sooo much love. Gets me out of my head and into the moment. I ❤❤❤ my puppy...thats why....love love love...

I love mine too, but two days ago he had a new surprise for me. He ate another dog's excrement on our walk. I was beyond disgusted. I was on a dog forum asking about this, someone told me I'm "narrow-minded" for not accepting that most dogs see poop as something to eat...

• 2 weeks later...

I love mine too, but two days ago he had a new surprise for me. He ate another dog's excrement on our walk. I was beyond disgusted. I was on a dog forum asking about this, someone told me I'm "narrow-minded" for not accepting that most dogs see poop as something to eat...

I had heard that if you carry some cayenne pepper and put it on "quick" they will quit.  I just don't know if I could do it.    :o 

I heard that they did it because they were lacking a nutrient in their diets. Don't know If that's true. Our spaniel used to eat horse shit.....nice....