Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Thing to do

[4G...]

I know a lot of us have many hours to fill while in withdrawal. Is there something you do to fill the time which you could tell the other folks about? Especially stuff that isn't too complicated due to benzo brain. Thanks! Gilly x

What kind of thing you write about Bets? x

I used to work for Daily Variety magazine, until it closed. 19 years. Now I think I'm going to write true short weird stories about some crazy newspaper I used to work for. Some are in my p-log......One is about a cross dresser guy from Variety....Weird dude.

I'm not tapering anymore, but I have recently retired so I needed to find new things to keep myself busy. I found I have a knack for painting. This really surprised me because I didn't think I could even draw a stick figure. I actually have a bit of a love/hate relationship with it though, because when I start something and nothing seems to be going right with it I hate it, but suddenly after working on it for a while it starts to look right and I love it again. I take lessons, but there are heaps of youtube videos available that could get you started if you were interested. Once I start working on something hours can pass without me even noticing it. It really doesn't matter what it ends up looking like because it's all individual interpretation.

If you don't want to go to the expense of canvasses, paints and brushes (although there are a lot of good quality inexpensive ones available if you go to the discount stores), you could just try some drawing. It's actually a lot easier than you think. A trick is to use the "grid" method, and even the most useless of artists will be surprised by what they can do. This is a brief explanation of how to do it, but there are a lot of other videos that demonstrate it.

The other thing I sometimes do when I've got some time to spare is play mahjong on the computer. This is a site I like... mahjonggames.com, or I might do some crossword puzzles. Like BG, I also like to write, but these days I tend to confine that to places like BB, which people can probably tell by my oftentimes very lengthy posts..lol...

I hope these suggestions help.

Yes they do help. Thanks Diaz Pam. I know Winston Churchill used to paint when he had his 'black dog' depressions. In my opinion he was a better politician than painter but it helped him through.

I got some pencil crayons for colouring but they are special watercolour pencils which take on a different texture when (surprise, surprise) water is added. I have only used them for colouring so far, but might have a try at using them with water sometime.

Thanks again! Gilly x

Yes, give it a go. You never know what you might be able to create. I certainly surprised myself. I've just finished a painting of my cat, and it actually looks quite good, if I do say so myself..lol...

Oh and that's the other thing that a lot of people are into these days - adult colouring in books. They're all the rage here in Australia at the moment, so I presume they are elsewhere too. I do it occasionally, but I tend to get bored with it more easily, but it might be an idea for others to try.

These things are certainly a lot better than just watching endless TV because it's more therapeutic and allows you to totally forget about everything for a while.

Some ideas:

Decide to read the thinnest books you see on a library or book store shelf. I've done this and have been exposed to some interesting stories and topics. I prefer non-fiction but short stories are good.

I read online digitized newspapers from 100 plus years ago. Fascinating. And takes you to another time and place.

Try making decorative mosaic on a brick using broken china and tiles. It can be abstract, so no artistic worries. Wear eye protection however.

I'm recording the weather every day, just like I found my great grandfather did in his 1935 diaries. Now I'll compare.

Weeding is therapeutic. So too is planting something already in a pot, or plant a seed. I think I've gotten through my taper with a sense of accomplishment because I planted seeds and watched a vegetable garden flourish—bugs and all. The life force of seeds is amazing, and inspiring.

Cleaning out closets is good. I've reorganized and have donated at least 20 bags of stuff to charity. There's relief in not looking at stuff I don't use or wear.

I play online Scrabble with anonymous people and distant relatives.

I pieced together a simple "recovery quilt" by using fabric scraps from old clothes. Now I have to bring to fabric shop for them to finish.

Acts of kindness.... I made a pie for my mailman.

Big one: meditation.

Some ideas:

Decide to read the thinnest books you see on a library or book store shelf. I've done this and have been exposed to some interesting stories and topics. I prefer non-fiction but short stories are good.

I read online digitized newspapers from 100 plus years ago. Fascinating. And takes you to another time and place.

Try making decorative mosaic on a brick using broken china and tiles. It can be abstract, so no artistic worries. Wear eye protection however.

I'm recording the weather every day, just like I found my great grandfather did in his 1935 diaries. Now I'll compare.

Weeding is therapeutic. So too is planting something already in a pot, or plant a seed. I think I've gotten through my taper with a sense of accomplishment because I planted seeds and watched a vegetable garden flourish—bugs and all. The life force of seeds is amazing, and inspiring.

Cleaning out closets is good. I've reorganized and have donated at least 20 bags of stuff to charity. There's relief in not looking at stuff I don't use or wear.

I play online Scrabble with anonymous people and distant relatives.

I pieced together a simple "recovery quilt" by using fabric scraps from old clothes. Now I have to bring to fabric shop for them to finish.

Acts of kindness.... I made a pie for my mailman.

Big one: meditation.

Bennie: That sounds very interesting as I love history. How do you go about doing it?

Bets,

For reading old newspapers:

http://www.loc.gov/ndnp/

http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov

newspapers.com

This site change their search features not too long ago. I used to be able to find papers from Britain.

If you have an ancestry.com account, you can get lost in a volcanos worth of history. Old wills are particularly fascinating to read. In 1748, one guy specifically willed the iron kettle to his wife. This kettle got mentioned in three family members' wills. Iron kettles were a big deal in Colonial days!

I've crocheted cotton wash cloths for myself and gifts. They are square and the pattern repeats. Unlike the mitten that I thought was going swimmingly until I realized I missed the thumb hole.

:)  :)  ;)

Stayed tuned...

Idleness is not in my nature, so when I'm feeling halfway functional, theres so much to do!

However, I DO idleness very well with other idlers.  :thumbsup: