Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Are gluten free foods good for you?

[be...]

1. Gluten-Free Foods

According to a recent national survey from Consumer Reports , 63% of US adults believe that a gluten-free diet will improve their health. And about one third said they buy gluten-free products or try to avoid gluten. Yet another study found that nearly 90% of those who think they are “sensitive” to gluten actually have no problem digesting it at all.

Unless you have been diagnosed with celiac disease or a gluten sensitivity, you probably don’t need to exclude gluten from your diet. What’s more, going gluten-free – when you don’t need to be – could be a diet disaster. Gluten-free foods often have more calories, fat, sodium, and added sugars. A study published in the Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics found that people following a gluten-free diet are often lacking in several nutrients including B-vitamins, magnesium, calcium, iron, and zinc. Another study  found that people who go on a gluten-free diet often wind up gaining weight.

Need another reason to avoid the gluten-free fad? They cost more than foods that contain it. That’s because gluten is necessary to provide the texture and taste many of us love and without it, manufacturers have to make up for it.

Hi bets,

I think this likely refers to a lot of the processed gluten-free junk on the market.  Generally a balanced diet, with the majority of your diet coming from whole foods, is healthiest, gluten-free or not.  They make a lot of GF processed food to resemble pasta, bread, cookies, etc., but just using grains that don't have gluten is usually yummiest and healthier.  That said, just like any other "normal" diet, tossing in some processed GF stuff when in a rush does no harm, as long as people don't make a habit out of it I'd assume.

For me, it was benzo belly confusion, so GI doc just had me eliminate the most common food triggers, gluten being top of list. That and soy were culprits for me, but dairy not an issue.  Hopefully I can eat yummy bread and patsa again when i heal from stupid klonopin.  :crazy:

I agree though it has become huge fad, like "fat free" back in the day.  People would get "fat free" cookies and gobble down whole bag of 2000 calorie cookies.  :D

WR

WR:

Yea, junk/proceeded foods are bad no matter what they contain............

Lol, yes and I just ate junky gf pasta with gf cheesy toast.  Haha, whole foods best, but I am lazy tonight  :D

What kills me is when things that would never have gluten in them are touted as being gluten-free. Like yogurt, or laundry detergent. Swear to goodness, I've seen that on packages. Lots of hype and people jumping on GF bandwagon without knowing if it's something they should be alternately consuming. I stick to gluten-free rolls. Gut is sensitive to gluten. Sadly. I love bread!