Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Trusting & Secrets

[Th...]

"Be careful who you trust, for if someone shares another's secrets with you, they'll certainly share yours with someone else!"

Do you agree, disagree, unsure yet, do you think there's an absolute here or are there shades of grey that I don't see?

For me it's black & white, mind you as someone recently pointed out to me, I'm an absolute thinker, so it sort of would be that straightforward for me.

But, what if you're not an absolute thinker like me?  Are there times when the above principal does not apply and if so, how do you live with/integrate the nuance, and what is it?!?!??

Why am I asking?  Because that quote will become a tattoo on my inner forearm in the next few weeks, provided I can maintain its absolute integrity.. so it's over to you to rip it apart if you can find fault in the logic.. which I hope you don't cos I'm set on the idea of it as a tat, and you can all see a photo of it if I can have it (or it'll be another one).  That's the prize :D

Chars,

3 :thumbsup:

I think it depends on the individual.  I have never shared secrets in a professional capacity such as teaching or on this team, but on a personal gossip level… well, yes. 

Generally the sharing of gossipy secrets is unintentional as I've forgotten it was to be a secret, so these days I ask people not to tell me things that need to be kept secret.

Generally the sharing of gossipy secrets is unintentional as I've forgotten it was to be a secret, so these days I ask people not to tell me things that need to be kept secret.

That's an interesting angle to approach it from.. and before I say anything else, I'm now wondering if I've revealed someone's secrets by mistake, and not realised it.. maybe when out of my face or something?  I know I don't do it intentionally (except with our partners as its sort of a given that we share what we know with them and if you don't want the husband to find out don't tell the wife, sort of thing - one of the perks) but accidentally?  How would I even know if I had, come to think about it, if it was when I was out of it?

Hmm... there's still hope for the tat yet. ;)

Cheers, Chal  :hug:

I think that's generally true. Is interesting in another way as well. I've heard that if you tell someone something, for example, that woman is not to be trusted, then the person you told is likely to transfer that to you, ie  think that you can't be trusted.

Another thing. You must have bloody long arms, are you Mr Men character Mr Tickle?! Lol  :)

"trusting & secrets"

my father kept a secret from my mom a long time it leaked out 9 years ago my dad was in the army he wrote letters to his mom . my nana gave him old army letters and one of them he was reading out loud it mentioned my nana wont be receiving my MOM"S check since he just got promoted to sergeant mom got a check from the US army and it was NOT being sent to her my dad's mom received it and she forged the name to cash it  . my mom no longer trusts my dad she keeps track of the bank account & keeps the rest of the money in her purse she gives dad ony $5 a day to go to work for food . my dad  never appologized he is still denying this

"Be careful who you trust, for if someone shares another's secrets with you, they'll certainly share yours with someone else!"

Do you agree, disagree, unsure yet, do you think there's an absolute here or are there shades of grey that I don't see?

For me it's black & white, mind you as someone recently pointed out to me, I'm an absolute thinker, so it sort of would be that straightforward for me.

But, what if you're not an absolute thinker like me?  Are there times when the above principal does not apply and if so, how do you live with/integrate the nuance, and what is it?!?!??

Why am I asking?  Because that quote will become a tattoo on my inner forearm in the next few weeks, provided I can maintain its absolute integrity.. so it's over to you to rip it apart if you can find fault in the logic.. which I hope you don't cos I'm set on the idea of it as a tat, and you can all see a photo of it if I can have it (or it'll be another one).  That's the prize :D

Chars,

3 :thumbsup:

Hi D,

Lets say I disagree a little. One has to develop a good insight of human

nature, wisely choose who to trust or not.

Of course its still a gamble but then again whole life is a gamble....

I couldn't live without being able to trust people, if they disappoint me ...

a few painful tears shed and its time to fire them .... move on.....

Here is your advise by Einstein : :)

Whoever is careless with the truth in small matters cannot be trusted with important matters.

If I were you D.... I would slowly start trusting people again, cos it

feels good.....its part of true friendships and life...its important I think.

you are an absolute thinker ? no surprise....most Aries people are... :)

"trusting & secrets"

my father kept a secret from my mom a long time it leaked out 9 years ago my dad was in the army he wrote letters to his mom . my nana gave him old army letters and one of them he was reading out loud it mentioned my nana wont be receiving my MOM"S check since he just got promoted to sergeant mom got a check from the US army and it was NOT being sent to her my dad's mom received it and she forged the name to cash it  . my mom no longer trusts my dad she keeps track of the bank account & keeps the rest of the money in her purse she gives dad ony $5 a day to go to work for food . my dad  never appologized he is still denying this

Who, What, huh? >:D  :idiot: :idiot: Its like that whos on first, whats on second deal. :D:thumbsup:

I am very careful who I tell any secretes to. Once they have betrayed my trust in them by NOT keeping something I wished to keep just between us, that is it. I can remain friends with them, but only on a superficial level.

I believe the above statement is true.

Blue :smitten:

• 4 weeks later...

I agree.

Which is why I tend to not give away any secrets I cannot bear being dished out. I relegate only those secrets that aren't really major ones. Or aren't really secrets at all. Failing that - I come up with something absurd.