Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Calling All Dog Owners

[Sa...]

Hi

How does one get a 7 year old dog to eat dry or wet dog food.

Help she is driving me crazy

At times like today i can't cook food for her or walk her

she follows me all day into the toilet even to take her for a walk

she weighs about 16 pounds is small and we have a generous enough back yard but still she won't leave me alone to take her for walks & cook for her,

she just came back from being looked after by my x husband for 5 months

please advise, i need to NOT give her away

this is her home and i love her so much

She is a half havanese & half coton de tulear

Weighs about 16 pounds

She is my shadow. No matter how many times i walk up and down the the hallway, if i forget something upstairs or down or need to go to pantry or toilet or outside in the yard 10 times, if i am watching tv or on the bed she has has to come and keeps wanting things.  Like treat, play, food etc.  She loves to go for car rides.  She in short is a high maintance dog,  all my friends with dogs can't understand why she is so hyper.  It is very stressful for me and i can't understand how people cope with worrying about their dog all day like i do.  She takes up all my energy and i am pooped from attending to her.  She doesn't give me my space of having a sound relaxation time and sound sleep as she sleep with me.  I love her so much and yes i know i have spoiled her myself but i cannot not spoil her as she is like a human, she communicates everything to me, how she feels and what she wants or which one she wants.  She is so beautiful and when i was sick a handful of people offered to take care of her but they all said they couldn't handle her being so hyper and pooping and peeing everywhere and not eating dog food etc. 

I hope this explains a little more.  I guess i just want peace to be able to unwind my brain, i worry about her as to OMG she is going to wake up and want me to cook, so i have to go to market and buy food and cook and give her then she wants walk, then play then she won't let me have an anxiety free sleep because she wants me to wake up early to walk... I live in a constant state of exhaustion from a dog, and forget her staying alone in the house.  I have so much anxiety when if ever i have to leave her for a couple of hours.  IDK what to do.  Its me i know but i want seasoned dog owners to tell me how you cope with these issues.  Any one tip may help me deal with this.  I love her.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Sa...]

• [...]

• [...]

• [4G...]

Top Posters In This Topic

I have 2 dog with the same problem.  They refuse to eat dry food and eat the wet food only if we mix some human food in it. They constantly begging for treats too.  But I am lucky.  My husband takes care of them right now.  They are so fat, but I have no strength to fight with my husband about  putting dogs on a diet.

Vika,

Do they also boop and pee on Carpet?  That is crazy, we replaced the old house floors by removing carpet and putting down wood.  This house is also mainly carpet but with ample tiles where we place wee wee pads.  She was being walked 2ice aday but now we are training her to go in back yard if needed or front yard.

Your husband is a keeper now for sure, even if its solely on the count of your too dogs. Jk  :)

My Japanese Spitz constantly marks his territory.  He likes to pee on furniture.  We had to replace the carpet to laminate floor in the hall way and the living room.  He also walks when he poops. LOL  So when he has diarrhea and no one is home to take him out there is a lot of poop to clean up.    :(

Hi Saraa

My dog is extremely spoilt, just the way it should be  :smitten: But she is housetrained and loves her dog food as well as healthy human food. She demands treats too much too, so now she's on a diet which she is not impressed with!

What have you done to try and housetrain your dog? Dog's can be housetrained at any age, it's just up to us to keep at it. I can give you some tips if you want?

Have you tried to incorporate dry dog food in with the human food very slowly so she can transition?

Hi Saraa

My dog is extremely spoilt, just the way it should be  :smitten: But she is housetrained and loves her dog food as well as healthy human food. She demands treats too much too, so now she's on a diet which she is not impressed with!

What have you done to try and housetrain your dog? Dog's can be housetrained at any age, it's just up to us to keep at it. I can give you some tips if you want?

Have you tried to incorporate dry dog food in with the human food very slowly so she can transition?

Dvm,

For training her, i don't know if you would call it that, we put in a doggy door, plus took her for walks twice a day for seven years but she still would and still does insist on doing it on a piece of carpet and not on weewee pads layed down on tiles

For food yes we have mixed in real cooked food with dog food of all sorts yet she will pick the food out and not eat the dog food. She will go hungry rather than eat non human food, chicken, beef, liver

I would really love tips on house training if you have any?

Oh dear about the food, I forgot there for a second how good they are at picking out the food they want to eat! I'm not sure what to do about that, perhaps ask your vet or a dog trainer.

Here's how to housetrain your dog..

- take your dog outside for bathroom breaks about 6 times a day. She of course won't wee or poo each time, but the point is that if you take her out all those times, there's a better chance she'll do it outside. Don't distract her while you wait. If she wants to just go right back inside without doing anything that is of course fine

- when she makes a wee or poo outside you need to shower her with praise and give her a treat immediately. Be VERY enthusiastic and make it her favourite treat. We praised my dog so enthusiastically when she was a puppy, she is now 9 years old and still thinks she's accomplished something so amazing every time she makes a wee or poo!

- every time you see your dog making a wee or poo inside, wait for her to finish and immediately pick her up and take her outside and tell her that's where she should have done her business. I DON'T mean leave her outside, just take her outside to show her.

- if she makes a mess in the house without you noticing, don't punish her, she won't understand what you're upset about because to her it's over and done with. Clean it up really well so she can't smell it at all because they tend to keep going where they recognise their smells.

Just be patient and keep at it, this works. The most important things are taking her outside regularly, and praising her enthusiastically and giving treats when she does her business outside. Let me know if you have any questions. Good luck!

Dvm,

Thank you for the house training formula.

My son just implemented another trip outside for her to do her business.

As for cleaning up her mess when she has gone without us seeing, like last night in the middle of the night, ON THE CARPET, we do clean with special solution but still she will find either the same spot or another section on the rug.

Ann odd thing did happen at the old house, which was once we removed all carpet and replaced them with laminated wood.  We then placed a weewee pad in the shower and showed her to go there & LOW AND BEHOLD SHE DID & would from then on go there. 

Unfortunatley in this house with all the carpet she refuses to do the shower scene again.

However i will try and do the protocol you suggest,  stamina on our parts permitted.

I still would like her to know she has a place indoors for middle of night or if we are not around as our house right now looks like a prison with all the gates we need to put up should we have to go out.  Which we sometimes remember and don't at other times.

Thank you Dvm, for your formula, you are lucky you did a good job with your dog right from the get go.

Saraa

Re the food, I don't have a dog but may I make a suggestion? If you feel you have the energy one day, make a huge pan of food for her. Let it cool and then put in containers (the plastic ones they sometimes use in Chinese takeaways are great for this). Then freeze them. Get one or two out the night before and there you go. Hopefully this will stop you having to do it every day. I totally identify with your fatigue. Boyfriend had to have a frozen pizza for tea. Incidentally, I do the freezer thing if I have the energy to make mashed potato. Is not much more effort to do a few more potatoes and then freeze the cooled down mash. Boyfriend is pleased with homemade mash and I haven't had to do it twice!

Good luck with the dog. Sometimes takes me all my energy to let my cat in and out!  Gilly x

4Gilly,

Thank you for a great idea, i will implement this and shop for her, cook & store for her whole week.

Navita,

I agree, they are extremely sensitive to happy or sad and can recognize it immidiately

Hope you are all doing well in this journey

Saraa

Cooking for your dogs is great.  I have no motivation as I still tapering.  I just walk beside my husband at Petco.  I am glad he at least buying grain free dog food   

Dvm,

As for cleaning up her mess when she has gone without us seeing, like last night in the middle of the night, ON THE CARPET, we do clean with special solution but still she will find either the same spot or another section on the rug.

Ann odd thing did happen at the old house, which was once we removed all carpet and replaced them with laminated wood.  We then placed a weewee pad in the shower and showed her to go there & LOW AND BEHOLD SHE DID & would from then on go there. 

Unfortunatley in this house with all the carpet she refuses to do the shower scene again.

However i will try and do the protocol you suggest,  stamina on our parts permitted.

I still would like her to know she has a place indoors for middle of night or if we are not around as our house right now looks like a prison with all the gates we need to put up should we have to go out.  Which we sometimes remember and don't at other times.

Thank you Dvm, for your formula, you are lucky you did a good job with your dog right from the get go.

Saraa

Is there ammonia is your cleaning solution? I only use natural products anyway, but I was told when my dog was a puppy not to use ammonia because apparently it smells like urine to them so they will be drawn to that spot again. I have no idea how true that is, but thought I'd mention it.

Oh dear, sorry the shower thing isn't working in your new house!

I have to take my dog out every single night in the middle of the night. It's not fun! Sometimes she thinks this is also a great time to take a stroll outside and sniff every single blade of grass, or sit and sniff the air. So I certainly understand you not wanting to go out in the night. Have you tried those indoor grass patches you can buy for them? You can implement the same sort of training with it. When she uses it you praise her enthusiastically and give her a treat. During the day you can show her outside and at night you can show her the grass patch.

I understand being able to do much of anything during this time is so hard. But just try as best as you can and hopefully she'll get the hang of it quite quickly. If you give her great treats for it I'm sure she will!

I used vinegar, when I had to clean up after our puppy, we got her to pee on newspaper, everyday taking one or two sheets away so she had less and less places to pee, eventually we trained to pee in the yard, most dogs prefer to 'go' outside it just took while. You have to try and tune into when the mutt might want to do the business, good to watch them just after a feed as this a likely time. Good luck.

Dvm,

Saraa

Is there ammonia is your cleaning solution? I only use natural products anyway, but I was told when my dog was a puppy not to use ammonia because apparently it smells like urine to them so they will be drawn to that spot again. I have no idea how true that is, but thought I'd mention it.

Oh dear, sorry the shower thing isn't working in your new house!

I have to take my dog out every single night in the middle of the night. It's not fun! Sometimes she thinks this is also a great time to take a stroll outside and sniff every single blade of grass, or sit and sniff the air. So I certainly understand you not wanting to go out in the night. Have you tried those indoor grass patches you can buy for them? You can implement the same sort of training with it. When she uses it you praise her enthusiastically and give her a treat. During the day you can show her outside and at night you can show her the grass patch.

I understand being able to do much of anything during this time is so hard. But just try as best as you can and hopefully she'll get the hang of it quite quickly. If you give her great treats for it I'm sure she will!

Dvm,

No amonia in the cleaning solution.

Wow, i can't even imagine how you do what you do, taking your dog out in the middle of the night.  I would be way too scared to do that & exhausted to be able to get up and walk at such hours.  Is your dog a puppy or adult?

Trying my best is what i am saying to myself that i will do for her and i think one of the best things i did was to post my dog issues on BBuddies.  I am getting a load of helpful ideas.

Thank you Dvm,

Continued healing

Saraa

I used vinegar, when I had to clean up after our puppy, we got her to pee on newspaper, everyday taking one or two sheets away so she had less and less places to pee, eventually we trained to pee in the yard, most dogs prefer to 'go' outside it just took while. You have to try and tune into when the mutt might want to do the business, good to watch them just after a feed as this a likely time. Good luck.

DavidJc,

She is 7 years old if that helps & i wonder if the newspaper way works for older dogs who in her case i don't have the heart to confine her to an area first to lay down the law of newspapers.  Without restricting her in an area, its kinda hard to newpaper the house.  I could be reading your idea wrong, let me know if i am. 

Thanks

Saraa

Cooking for your dogs is great.  I have no motivation as I still tapering.  I just walk beside my husband at Petco.  I am glad he at least buying grain free dog food 

Vika,,

Which brand of dog food do you buy? Is it wet or dry and is your dog like mine a small dog? 

My dog is 9 years old, but she still behaves like a puppy in many ways  :smitten:

She used to sleep through the night and I used to brag about it! But when she was about 2 years old she tore the ligaments in both her back knees, one after the other healed, and she had to have operations. After that is when she started getting up in the night to go outside. To this day every time I see her surgeon I still ask him what he did to her and tell him it's all his fault! :)

It was extremely hard during the worst of withdrawal, I think I cried each time I had to take her out.

I'm so glad you posted here so you can get some useful tips and not feel so overwhelmed about it.

Continued healing to you too

:hug:

Vika,,

Which brand of dog food do you buy? Is it wet or dry and is your dog like mine a small dog?

Saraa,

We buy  Merrick brand - wet and dry.  I have two dogs.  One is a medium size and another is  large - pit-bull/boxer mix.  We used to buy blue buffalo but they didn't like that brand.  They eat mostly wet. 

Vika,

Merick is what she once did eat and i thought i had finally found something.  But she ate of course half the can and i kept the rest in fridge till next day and gave her but then she refused to eat it.  But i will give it another try and store it in the house for when there is no option as she did at least eat it once. 

Here i am confused and exhausted by a tiny dog and you are so patient and graceful with your two big dogs. 

Thanks for the info,  the story will continue and i shall post questions.

Hugs

saraa

Vika,

Merick is what she once did eat and i thought i had finally found something.  But she ate of course half the can and i kept the rest in fridge till next day and gave her but then she refused to eat it.  But i will give it another try and store it in the house for when there is no option as she did at least eat it once. 

Here i am confused and exhausted by a tiny dog and you are so patient and graceful with your two big dogs. 

Thanks for the info,  the story will continue and i shall post questions.

Hugs

saraa

I am trying to be patient.  I take them for a walk around my property.  That's at least I can do at this time.  The big one - Sofie - is my little girl  LOL

Confused,

Honestly i havn't yet but i did run into a conversation at a chashiers where i pick up cigarettes.  Four people were talking to the cashier whose mom is a nurse and he was saying that she tells him a lot of people come in with mold in their lungs because of e-cigarettes.  I guess i was just waiting for an excuse not to switch.  Cigarettes on the other hand are just deadly period.  I just need to quit or at least lessen the number i smoke in a day. 

How r you doing? I hope you are feeling better these days. 

Hugs

Saraa