Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Massacre in Charleston, South Carolina

[Ka...]

The tragedy and hideousness of this crime is beyond words that I am capable of writing. All I know is that I lived in Charleston, loved the beautiful city, studied nursing and became a RN there. The beautiful churches downtown, many of which were established in the 1800's as the Emmanuel AME church was, are still standing after earthquakes and hurricanes, etc. It's unbelievably tragic that one person can decide through a racist motive to murder nine people in cold blood, all in hopes of starting his own little civil war. If anyone should ever been tarred and feathered and hung in front of the town, it would be him.

I just cannot stop crying when I see or hear something about this on television or social media. It is non stop coverage and too much for my little fried benzo brain to handle. Living in the state where this happened does not help. I am so ashamed and embarrassed for South Carolina.

I cannot accurately articulate the pc language or use the popular way of speaking about these things to express my sadness and frustration but I just had to say something. We spend millions in this country fighting terrorists to protect and keep our people safe but this kind of thing happens and really we do nothing. I feel pretty helpless to do anything myself.

Going through benzo w/d makes everything worse of course, on the day of 911 I cried all day. This feels similar. This is not going to go away in the media, and it should not but it is certainly difficult to deal with in this weakened mental state.  :'(

Katia,

i totally agree, its horrible.

i dont know what the answer is. The school shooting in Ct was very upsetting to me also.

Theres got to be an answer to thse viscious, evil ppl?

it was said that he sat there w those ppl for an hour before he shot them. i just cant hardly stand it :'(

Katia,

i dont know what the answer is. The school shooting in Ct was very upsetting to me also.

it was said that he sat there w those ppl for an hour before he shot them. i just cant hardly stand it :'(

Gun control might be a start Gard.  :(

You are right Chinook. But if a person really wanted a gun then they would find a way of getting one. I'm afraid that you can't lock the stable door after the horse has bolted. Are the laws on guns similar in your part of the world to those in the US? We have much stricter laws re firearms in the UK, but we still sometimes have massacres, eg the Dunblane tragedy.

People here are shouting for gun control and for the confederate flag that flys in South Carolina's capitol to be taken down. Neither one is not going to help now in my opinion. People will get guns one way or another. A random shooter on a mission WILL find a way to get one, legally or not. Is there a way to stop racism? Not in my opinion and that is what this is all about. If the punishment could fit the crime that would be a greater deterrent than gun control but unfortunately I don't think that is going to happen here. Line him up in a firing squad and shoot him nine times, one for each victim. I don't know the answer!!!

On a side note...I don't think it is a coincidence that since that happened I have felt worse and worse each day with stomach pain and now just plain old sick, but cannot pinpoint any real problem. Coincidence? I don't think so... :'(

We can't carry handguns in Canada and as far as I know we can't own them (unless you're a collector in which case you have to belong to a club).

I think they scrapped the long gun registry. You need to have a license to legally possess firearms and to buy ammunition.

Katia, I've noticed that events that would normally be upsetting to me have a much stronger effect in wd. I'll find myself sobbing and a nervous wreck, among other things when exposed to them. What I do is record the news and then fast forward over anything that is triggering or if a story starts to get that reaction I stop watching it right then. I can handle some bad stuff but nothing like normal.

Someone sent me this link of an Aussie's take on the US gun laws. It's enlightening, funny but also has profanity in it:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2015/06/19/an-australian-stand-up-comic-explains-what-u-s-gun-laws-look-like-to-the-rest-of-the-world/

Hi,

it's time for SC to take that friggin' confederate flag down. It's a symbol of racism and ignorance,

and it is offensive. And having a background check for every gun sold here is a good idea. Right

now people can go to gun shows and not have that background check.

There is too much violence in this country.

Iggy

Katia,

That upset me to no end too, as it was practically in my own backyard. This country has turned into a friggin mess. Now I learned that a cop was shot by his own pistol while transporting a prisoner. Will this madness ever end? I have two police friends and they said they are taking their time going to 911 calls, often stopping for lunch beforehand. They say the police are doing this all over the country. They are scared of another Fergeson...So what will happen to a guy who is having a heart attack? I guess EMT will step in. :tickedoff:

Our culture has turned into a degraded, rotten mess.  I blame social media and the filthy rotten Satanist Hollywood media promoters who want to destroy our minds and will power, turning ppl. into animals.  I'm older and I'm seeing it happen.  The slide into a degraded culture started in the sixties and has been going downhill since.  Young kids are impressionable and get into all those killing video games, movies, shows, social media, etc, then become rude adults.  My nabe had a F$%k You t-shirt on the other day.  He wears it all the time.  Filthy lowlife trash.  So ppl. can see it.  Those degraded kids grow up to be degraded adults and rotten nabes.  The lowlife trash around here shoot guns and fireworks off all the time.  Who cares about the nabes and other ppl?  It's about me, our culture says.  That young kid was probably on some head meds too and into killer video games.     

Katia,

That upset me to no end too, as it was practically in my own backyard. This country has turned into a friggin mess. Now I learned that a cop was shot by his own pistol while transporting a prisoner. Will this madness ever end? I have two police friends and they said they are taking their time going to 911 calls, often stopping for lunch beforehand. They say the police are doing this all over the country. They are scared of another Fergeson...So what will happen to a guy who is having a heart attack? I guess EMT will step in. :tickedoff:

Are your police friends doing that because they're upset with how the police are being portrayed or out of fear that if they do their jobs and someone gets hurt that they'll be judged or something else? It's sad to hear any of this stuff.

People here are shouting for gun control and for the confederate flag that flys in South Carolina's capitol to be taken down. Neither one is not going to help now in my opinion. People will get guns one way or another. A random shooter on a mission WILL find a way to get one, legally or not. Is there a way to stop racism? Not in my opinion and that is what this is all about. If the punishment could fit the crime that would be a greater deterrent than gun control but unfortunately I don't think that is going to happen here. Line him up in a firing squad and shoot him nine times, one for each victim. I don't know the answer!!!

On a side note...I don't think it is a coincidence that since that happened I have felt worse and worse each day with stomach pain and now just plain old sick, but cannot pinpoint any real problem. Coincidence? I don't think so... :'(

Then why bother having any laws, if someone somewhere, violates the laws!?

It'd help if the laws were enforced.

We don't need more gun laws.  We need a change in our culture where there is less violence and gun-toting on the tube and on the internet.  We need more social media that promotes peace and getting along with others.  We need more news that doesn't stir up violence broadcasting every violent news event coast to coast and around the world.  It makes ppl. violent who are prone to it.  It makes ppl. anxious and nervous to be force-fed all this violent media.  Then the parents are anxious and raise anxious kids.  Even Dateline had a show about "My kid would never do that?" or something about guns and kids.  I guess it's necessary now to teach kids about guns, but if we didn't have such a violent fearful society, they wouldn't need that Dateline show on.  Mainstream media, the great Satan, promoting violence and making ppl. crazy.  It's not about the guns.

I disagree with laws stemming from this charleston incident . like baning the confederate flag i disagree with this ,  this flag is a part of american history. millions of people followed the confederacy 155 years ago & 1000s of Confederate soldiers served and died for this flag im sure someones great great great great great grandson of a conferate soldier would want to remember his descendant who served his country . Same with the apartheid flag that dylan roof had on his clothing that flag should be remembered and not forgotton even though it was banned from the South africa world cup

Kids' minds get immersed with violence from birth now and it warps their thinking and mood.  Kids are very impressionable.  Then they grow up depressed, violent and homicidal and suicidal and then need a shrink to give them head meds.  Then they really get violent.  We had NO violence on TV when I was a kid except maybe Mannix TV show, but it was just minor stuff.  We only had three TV stations and only watched it at night.  No cell phone, no computers.  The Lawrence Welk show, Glen Campbell show.  Nice, soothing calming shows.  We'd go outside and play jax on the porch, go explore in the woods, play outside in a wagon, play softball.  No sitting inside watching TV or on a computer or outside on a smartphone stimulating our brainwaves into insanity.  Dark Shadows aired in the afternoon when I was a kid and it traumatized me.  I started having nightmares from watching it and my mood had dark aspects to it then.  Very bad show.  I'll never forget it.  Just thinking about it makes my mood dark.  That's how it starts for the kids.  They get this dark and violent crap 24/7.  That's why they start shooting.  They're depressed and despondent from the oppressive darkness of our world today.  Satanists of Hollywood thought that was great to put spooky dark show on in the afternoon for the kids back then and it's just escalated to a fever pitch of violence and fornicating today.  Hollywood is evil and they are destroying our world and making us all weak and sick in spirit. 

Now everyone is getting rid of the confederate flag all because of that one incident.  All the big stores, amazon, etc.  That's ridiculous.  I agree with babyangel, that confederate flag belongs in our country.  What happened to free speech?  I'm a Yankee up north here and don't want to see that flag disappear.  I see a truck around here with the confederate flag on it and I say, hooray, for free speech.  I like seeing the "don't tread on me" flag too that ppl. display.  I like seeing ppl. expressing their beliefs.  They aren't hurting anyone.  We all have a right to express ourselves.  This world has gone insane.  What does that confederate flag have to do with that shooting anyway?  I don't understand it? 

I don't really care if they take it down or not, but it does seem that every back woods redneck or racist here in the south flies that flag or has it on their truck. Just saying.

I just appreciate free speech rights for ppl.  I guess they're taking that flag down on a gov. building down there.  I think it's the courthouse. 

I don't really care if they take it down or not, but it does seem that every back woods redneck or racist here in the south flies that flag or has it on their truck. Just saying.

same here, katia ;D:crazy:

The flag being taken down at the SC capitol building is not an infringement on free speech.

It's just common sense to remove a flag that has become an icon of hatred and slavery.