Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

The Benzodiazepine Scandal PETITION PLEASE SIGN

[44...]

Hi Beth

Of course you can use my story.  I am so upset now.  In tears.  I can't believe my whole life was destroyed by these drugs.

I do believe if I contact everyone I know, someone somewhere will take notice.  The constant misdiagnosis is just as important as the PAWS.

Going to write to Chair of RCGP,  knew her a little bit through my research work.  She will remember my work but maybe not me!!  :(

Could I add your story to my letter or could you write to her.  Two letters might have more impact!

Prof Maureen Baker -  not found email yet

Royal College of Psychiatrists

This patient information leaflet is due for review in July 2015

V little about protracted withdrawal!

http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/healthadvice/treatmentswellbeing/benzodiazepines.aspx

RCPsych International Congress  June 2015

ok too soon to do anything this year

? Next year

2,500 delegates approx

Programme for 2015

http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/traininpsychiatry/conferencestraining/internationalcongress2015/programme.aspx

they have a play in the programme.

It would be great to get a slot to speak - pie in the sky, who knows?

Even a handout to delegates

LF  :thumbsup:

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [lo...]

• [Mo...]

• [Te...]

• [...]

Have sent my letter to Associate Postgraduate Dean in Aberdeen.  He was my boss at work.  He is a really nice man and I know he will give it some thought.  Asked him if there were ways of using my story in medical education/training.

He also  teaches undergraduate medical students.  The Deanery is responsible for postgraduate medical training.

I feel as if I am "coming out", revealing my secrets.

Far from easy.

Is it worth it?

Not sure.

Not doing any more today.

[44...]

It's absolutely worth it. We need to stand up and get it out there. You can use anything from my website you like without asking. I'm away now for a bit as off to West Wales.

Take care and rest LF as all this can rev us up a bit when so fragile. 💕💕

Hi Beth!

Thank you for taking action, I've signed the petition of course but I've not had time to read the whole thread yet.

You say there was a Panorama "investigation" broadcast in 2002? I need to check it out... I'm in rebellious mode, sad and angry at the same time.

Again, years put to "waste", years in which I thought I was getting "better" but I was gobbing my silent killer not even thinking about it. I'd certainly be diagnosed with CFS if I were to come clean to my GP... but I'm tapering and have hopes for the future.

My social life "sucks", no real friends - I've withdrawn so much because of the way I feel, especially physically, can't keep up with "normal people", family doesn't want to hear about problems...

As days go by, I realise how benzos have crept in and destroyed everything I build. That I may never have kids because of that... missing out on so much.

BB is like a cornucopia of information! I'll keep posted with your projects  :thumbsup:

Best Wishes,

Julz (from England  :))

I so hope you are right, Beth.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

When I questioned whether it was worth it, I meant would the cost of going over my past be worth it for me. I wasn't questioning the value of getting the message out there. Not sure if I made myself clear.

Maybe when my brain is less fuzzy .......

Hey, Julz, I'm in a mood tonight too.  Can't sleep!  Fed up with the whole damned business!  :tickedoff: :tickedoff:

But getting annoyed doesn't achieve anything, at least not while being unable to function.

Anger can help to galvanise action but when you still can't get up and do things, it is like a kettle boiling and never switching off ........

LF  :smitten:

Hi there!

I found a link to the BBC Panorama program:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/panorama/hi/front_page/newsid_8425000/8425414.stm (for GB)

The full episode on Youtube:

It focuses on Seroxat (Paroxetine) / anti-depressants and addiction, withdrawals etc.

It was broadcast in 2002 - 12 years ago already!!

Has there been anything on benzos, over-prescription, length of prescriptions, withdrawals, PAWS, the Ashton Syndrom and misdiagnoses?... Web Communities like BB being the only source of support, pharmaceutical industries educating our current and future doctors? ...

What about Channel 4? They do a lot of whistle-blowing.

Just ideas I am throwing in there  :)

Thanks so much, Julz.

I am doing my best to find out!

Trawling the WEB.

Have asked a friend, a Professor in Bournemouth to do a search of the medical literature for "benzo withdrawal" for the past 60 years. Will see what comes up.

Heard from my former boss today. He is going to ask around and ask what some doctors know or think about benzo withdrawal here in Aberdeen. Not optimistic now that he will come up with much.

I hate this cog fog.

LF  :'(

[44...]

Let me know anything you find out please LF as its all ammunition.  :thumbsup:

174 signatures at this point. There should be thousands if everyone comes forward.

Hi Beth

Thought I had found a new paper, new to me that is.  :yippee:  Now I strongly suspect that I have read it before.  :'(

http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9mSs2FCg4RVCGQA4juA3YlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTEzZHR0am9wBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDNwRjb2xvA2lyMgR2dGlkA1RBVUswMV8x/RV=2/RE=1434776514/RO=10/RU=http%3a%2f%2fwww.appgita.com%2fwp-content%2fuploads%2f2011%2f05%2fReport-1-NAC-Benzos-and-z-drug-addiction.pdf/RK=0/RS=jicmaD8Adbk1q2HZe0w5G3fFsUc-

I may also have posted on BB before.  :idiot:

Research conducted at Kings College London

Overall benzo prescribing has fallen by 50% in England between 1980 and 2009. Very good news.  :thumbsup:

I thought this was the case.

However, z drug prescribing has increased but not at the same rate as benzo prescribing has fallen.

Lots of detail, long paper but good to see that research has been conducted fairly recently in the UK.

Clearly benzo/z drug prescribing is being monitored.

Sadly, not a great deal about withdrawal in the paper.

Hope you find the paper useful.  I struggle a great deal to try to read nowadays.  Just get the gist, then forget I hsve read it.

So very upsetting.  :'( :'(

Let me know anything you find out please LF as its all ammunition.  :thumbsup:

174 signatures at this point. There should be thousands if everyone comes forward.

I would have said the lack of signatures was because it was a UK petition but look at this US petition.  Less than 100.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov//petition/save-lives-more-safeguards-needed-prescribing-psychiatric-meds-we-want-protect-patients-and-educate-docs

I am lost for words.  well, printable ones anyway.

If folk can't be bothered .....

Disheartening numbers  :'(

Searching the web for medical journals, research papers on benzos with cog fog  :D ...plus our emotional investment...  :'(

...and I'm not a doctor!!

I can barely read an abstract / executive summary... but if I come upon something interesting, I'll post here.

LF, the link you posted doesn't take me anywhere, says "forbidden"  >:(

It's awesome that you've reached out!!! Even a small step in the right direction is of great value to all of us!  :smitten::thumbsup: :thumbsup:

That's odd, Julz, link works ok for me.  :idiot: :idiot:

Beth - have you heard of Iain Caldwell? See transcript of Panorama prog.in 2001.

http://www.benzo.org.uk/pantrans.htm

Lives in Scotland. Lost his business due to mogadon/nitrazepam.  All that was wrong with him was not sleeping enough!

spent 10 years fighting Roche.  Got a measly £10,000.

I have his phone number if you want it. I think he still lives in Scotland.

LF  :smitten:

Maybe this petition should also be posted on MiA and change.org....I signed it a while ago.....Change.org gets around.

Hi Beth and others in the UK

Claudia posted about this UK conference

I have registered. Cost £28 for service users.

However, I really can't see me being well enough by mid Sept.

http://cepuk.org/moreharmthangood/

It would be a great opportunity to meet people.

Anyone else interested/well enough to attend?

Beth - what about approaching the organisers and asking if you could put a flyer in delegate packs.

our stories, your website details, not sure what really.  Just publicity.

Beth - what about approaching the organisers and asking if you could put a flyer in delegate packs.

I would come, how can I get fit in the next two months ?

My son said yesterday .....if you want I carry you on my shoulders .lol

[44...]

I'm already registered for this with my husband LF. It cost us £75 each though so have to try and get there somehow. I've also been told that it's going to be live streamed 👍. My husband will go whatever and I will if ok as its a good 300 mile journey for us.

as one organiser is a Benzo sufferer himself I think you can rest assured there will be masses of stuff on our problems 👌I will suggest as well.

[44...]

I'm wondering if this other petition was actually presented. if we can get thousands of signatures I would try and make a big noise about presenting it. This is as important as the petition itself. However signatures are slow although 200 now but it's going to take a year or two at this rate. Please spread the word far and wide.

I'm already registered for this with my husband LF. It cost us £75 each though so have to try and get there somehow. I've also been told that it's going to be live streamed 👍. My husband will go whatever and I will if ok as its a good 300 mile journey for us.

as one organiser is a Benzo sufferer himself I think you can rest assured there will be masses of stuff on our problems 👌I will suggest as well.

Oh wow, Beth, we can meet up if we get there.

Why did you pay £75?  I said I was a service user ... ok, not really, not any more ...... but after 40 years.

Which service - NHS, or psychiatric services ..... will get myself referred again ..... oh no, definitely not.

Oh wow, I am so hoping I can go.  Fly from Aberdeen, ......  :thumbsup:

Fiona  :thumbsup:

(using my real name now, because I am me again, after 40 horrendous years, I really am!)

Oh wow, Beth, we can meet up if we get there.

Why did you pay £75?  I said I was a service user ... ok, not really, not any more ...... but after 40 years.

Which service - NHS, or psychiatric services ..... will get myself referred again ..... oh no, definitely not.

Oh wow, I am so hoping I can go.  Fly from Aberdeen, ......  :thumbsup:

Fiona  :thumbsup:

(using my real name now, because I am me again, after 40 horrendous years, I [/b]really am!)

You are making me cry Fiona...but they are tears of joy....OMG. 8)

Me too, Claudia, tears of joy .......

The prison doors are open, never to close again.  :thumbsup:

And thank you so very much for posting about the conference

Me too, Claudia, tears of joy .......

The prison doors are open, never to close again.  :thumbsup:

And thank you so very much for posting about the conference

:hug:

This would definitely be an incredible opportunity to meet people - maybe even be heard  :thumbsup:

I need to think about it  ;)

"Service Users", not sure what that means either...  ???

Publicity or something in the delegates' packs is a great idea!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

They need to know we are here, we exist!!

...I am finally finding a meaning to what I've gone through and validation for this taper, thank you Claudia for sharing the link! :hug:

[44...]

I'm happy for the petition to be shared anywhere you think it will get noticed. I'm on holiday at the moment so can't do a lot but please add it to any forums, groups or websites you know of.

Also I feel this petition can be shared throughout the world if we can get enough signatures so please sign wherever you're from. Thank you 💙