Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Clonazepam and tinnitus

[li...]

Hello there -  I have had severe tinnitus problems since the 80's. 10 Years ago a docter prescribed 1 mg clonazepam for the tinnitus. Two years ago I tried to taper off slowly and after half a year I had a severe epileptic insult. Furthermore my tinnitus got much worse: every 5 days I have a new outburst that lasts several days. Combined with oversensitivity for sounds. Today I still have this 5 day-cycle and oversensitivity. I take 0.43 mg a day now and my tinnitus is still getting worse. Anyone familiar with this 5-day cycle? How long should ik take for my tinnitus to go back to "normal"? Any experiences?

[cc...]

Hi, lion 26.

Welcome to benzobuddies.  :)

Sounds like you're making good progress on your taper, but I'm wondering if you're going a bit fast. Many people report tinnitus as a withdrawal effect and perhaps slowing your taper down will help with that.

A good resource about benzodiazepines is the Ashton Manual. Here is a link to the manual: Professor Ashtons Manual  It’s great for learning about these meds and for taper plans. Ashton recommends reducing between 5 - 10% every 10/14 days.

You'll find a great community of people here who will support and encourage you. Feel free to check out the forum and to post to any of the dedicated boards.

In addition to the Ashton Manual, here are some other resources:

For tapering advice, post here: General Taper Plans

For support with any symptoms you may have, post here: Withdrawal Support

Please add a signature (history of medication/doses etc). It will help members give you relevant advice. This link will show you how to Create a signature

Please let us know if you have any questions.

~ Mind

Well actually in the last year I tapered off very very slowly: 0.01 mg per 2 months. But even in this tempo I have to stop now. I can't take it anymore; the tinnitus is driving me mad.

Is it possible that you taper off too slow?

[cc...]

Well actually in the last year I tapered off very very slowly: 0.01 mg per 2 months. But even in this tempo I have to stop now. I can't take it anymore; the tinnitus is driving me mad.

Is it possible that you taper off too slow?

Hi. Yes, you're right - I think there can also be problems from too slow of a taper. Once you hit tolerance, you'll have withdrawal effects during the taper. And if you hold in tolerance, you'll continue to have withdrawal effects.

I hope you find the right speed, but at least you've made significant progress.

Hello there -  I have had severe tinnitus problems since the 80's. 10 Years ago a docter prescribed 1 mg clonazepam for the tinnitus. Two years ago I tried to taper off slowly and after half a year I had a severe epileptic insult. Furthermore my tinnitus got much worse: every 5 days I have a new outburst that lasts several days. Combined with oversensitivity for sounds. Today I still have this 5 day-cycle and oversensitivity. I take 0.43 mg a day now and my tinnitus is still getting worse. Anyone familiar with this 5-day cycle? How long should ik take for my tinnitus to go back to "normal"? Any experiences?

We have a tinnitus support group here  :)

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=96554.0

I can tell you this.  Tinnitus is a side effect of clonazepam withdrawal.  I'd withdraw from it extra slowly.  Maybe even go to valium and micro taper.  This is a tough one.  My tinnitus is 'from hell' after jumping and no end in site 9 months later :-\ :'(  Some people around here tell me this SXS takes a few years to heal for the people afflicted with it the hardest but it does get better for many years  :'(

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there again, I got some questions and need some advise:

Until a year ago I took 0.5 mg clonazepam a day and I was all right. My tinnitus was bad but I could still function as a private teacher and I did have a social live. I tapered very very slowly. Now I'm on 0.43 mg a day (since beginning of december) and my tinnitus makes it impossible to work are do anything socially. Hyperacusis all the time.

Suppose I go back to 0.5 mg; - will my tinnitus go back to "normal"?

- If I stay on 0.43 how long should it take before things get back to normal again?

[cc...]

Hi there again, I got some questions and need some advise:

Until a year ago I took 0.5 mg clonazepam a day and I was all right. My tinnitus was bad but I could still function as a private teacher and I did have a social live. I tapered very very slowly. Now I'm on 0.43 mg a day (since beginning of december) and my tinnitus makes it impossible to work are do anything socially. Hyperacusis all the time.

Suppose I go back to 0.5 mg; - will my tinnitus go back to "normal"?

- If I stay on 0.43 how long should it take before things get back to normal again?

Hi. Updosing sometimes works, but it doesn't always work.

Please check out the link that Birdman gave you to the Tinnitus Support Group. I have a pre-existing depression diagnosis so depersonalization and depression have been quite severe for me throughout this process. But I'm developing coping skills without benzos to help me, while realizing that in time, the severity will lessen and I'll take my coping skills with me. Check out the support group for ideas.

I know this is difficult to do when you have to work. I quit a high stress job and took something less stressful while finding a cheaper place to live so I can come off my bipolar meds. I definitely don't recommend this drastic a change for everyone, but I do know that there are ways of making lifestyle changes that do help when coming off these drugs.

Hope you're feeling better soon.  :)