Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Someone in my house?

[ch...]

I woke up last night to find my front door ajar and the storm door latch broken. Was someone in my house? Did I have a nightmare and pull the door open? Surely the cold would've woken me up! Confused....

Get the storm door latch fixed, put in a deadbolt on the main door, tell a neighbor what happened. You really ought to file a police report. I suppose it could have been you, but even if it was, you'll have better peace of mind... I don't know anything about your living situation, environment, family factors, marital status etc, and I don't want to, and you shouldn't post them, but take all of that into consideration...keep us in the loop, please...mike

I'm getting the locks changed but the guy can't come out until Monday (says he's booked). I contacted the police and had to leave a message with a detective. Two officers stopped by my house and filed a report. Told me to call them immediately if anything else unusual happens. Looking into home security.

Cheeker,

Way to get on it!!! For the weekend, do you have a neighbor or friend who can check on you or maybe stay with you? If you are there alone at night, you might want to wedge a dining room chair back under the door knob. Keep your phone handy, and if you have 911, put it on speed dial. If not, put your available emergency number on speed dial. I wish you quick resolution. Please keep on keeping us posted...mike

Was anything missing? Seems odd for someone to break in and not take anything. Although it's possible that someone was breaking in and got spooked by something and ran. I'm just speaking from experience of living in really bad neighborhoods for a long time. I've been cleaned out three times, 3 A/C units stolen for copper. I've had three sets of washer / dryers stolen. I've probably had about 7 other attempted break ins over the years. Car windows broken. Personally if you live in a sketchy area, get an alarm and / or a dog. A camera that records could help too. There are some alarm systems you can buy that you don't have to pay a monthly monitoring fee for, they will put out a loud alarm though if any of the sensors are tripped. I know the loud alarm has scared off a few of the thugs breaking in. So sorry that that happened though. Pretty scary. Good luck, hopefully it's an anomaly.

I stayed the night somewhere else, left all the lights on. Not sure if that will deter anybody but that's what I did. There was a number of odd incidents that had taken place at my house before this happened. But in my state of mind, I'm not sure if it's just a coincidence, if I'm finally going insane or if it's something I need to be concerned about.

"Concern" is so much easier to deal with than " i shoulda"... I'm really glad you stayed elsewhere :thumbsup:  if you were going crazy, you wouldn't have all that concern...it's kinda like that chicken-or-egg thing...did the benzos create issues, or did the issues create benzos? It doesn't matter down here in the trenches...we just want to know when the next 'incomings' are coming...got a hardhat??? :laugh: let us know how yer doing...if need be, I can bring my horse down to stand guard  :laugh:

Wow. That sound scary to me! Criminals are everywhere! Even tho we live in an upscale neighborhood, we have bolt locks and sensors lights. And really good latches for our windows. Good idea in our part. Our local police dept called us several weeks ago and said there have been 10 break-in in our neighborhood in the past 2 months. One was 5 doors next to us. Dogs are a help too, tho NOT Golden Rs. They are happy to see any visitors. Better buy a pit bull. Bets

Locksmith had an early cancellation and moved me into that time slot. So he'll be coming by today.

So glad to read that they will be there today!  :)

Installed an alarm on my door. It's an old door and it was difficult to align the alarm. Hope it works. I placed a dining room chair under the front door and back door just in case. Not a great thing to have to do when you're going through withdrawal.

Installed an alarm on my door. It's an old door and it was difficult to align the alarm. Hope it works. I placed a dining room chair under the front door and back door just in case. Not a great thing to have to do when you're going through withdrawal.

But oh so comforting to know that you have done what you could do to safe it up...did you install it or did the locksmith...he/she did come by today...? I follow you with concern, and thank you for listening. Pleas keep us updated...mike

The locksmith was here earlier today. I installed the alarm myself. And by installed I mean I stuck the double-stick foam tape to the door and stuck the alarm on it.

hi cheeker. its not that hard to replace a door knob / door lock i did several the past few months the first was at my friend's house because the bathroom door lock didnt work when i was there visiting one time i heard her younger sister say loudly EWWWW when she walked in the bathroom when her brother was taking a piss LOL  :laugh: i took a closer look at the door knob i measured it and i said to my friend " i can fix your bathroom door  dollar general has door knobs for like less than $10 so we went over there came back with a new one  i had to use a chizel and hammer a lil for the door lock to fall into the hole in door . it was a piece of cake i had the chizel already in tool box and screw drivers to instal the new door lock. x just make sure you instal the metal square thing that goes into the hole in door jam if it has just wood it can be kicked open quite easily

hi cheeker. its not that hard to replace a door knob / door lock i did several the past few months the first was at my friend's house because the bathroom door lock didnt work when i was there visiting one time i heard her younger sister say loudly EWWWW when she walked in the bathroom when her brother was taking a piss LOL  :laugh: i took a closer look at the door knob i measured it and i said to my friend " i can fix your bathroom door  dollar general has door knobs for like less than $10 so we went over there came back with a new one  i had to use a chizel and hammer a lil for the door lock to fall into the hole in door . it was a piece of cake i had the chizel already in tool box and screw drivers to instal the new door lock. x just make sure you instal the metal square thing that goes into the hole in door jam if it has just wood it can be kicked open quite easily

Yep, Katie can do anything.  8):thumbsup: smart girl. :)

aw thank you joey <3  :smitten::hug:

hi again cheeker . you could get a surveilance camera and mount it outisde its quite simple and cheap to get a CCTV wireless camera you can buy a cheap one made in china for just $15 . my family has had problems with neighbors since i was in elementry school so we have 8 cameras outside . those cameras i have are hard wired with a dvr you can buy hard wired cameras for a lil more money $ but um do you have something to protect yourself with (firearm) ? have you had problems with someone in the past that might want to break in ? im kinda worried and concerned so i keep a SKS assault rifle & a  taurus .45 /. 410 loaded in my closet

thanks texas star and siggy . its kinda hard to find .45 long colt ammo for my taurus revolver the .410 (shotgun ammo) it can also hold is easily findable so i just keep it sitting there , its still loaded with half of both ammo the 7.62x39 ammo the norinco sks holds i have an extra 30 rnd magazine

well i have to finish some work im refinishing a small table my hoarder uncle gave me yesterday enjoy your saturday folks