Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Bad dpdr again. Is this forever?

[Ma...]

yes it absolutely can, and I heard a v interesting talk about the disadvantages of being in an intensive care ward, where they said that because of all the drugs administered, it could cause people to be ill for many years afterwards, one surgeon spoke about a patient who had had many doses of benzos etc etc, who apparently complained 3 years later, that what was the point of saving his life when all he had wanted to do afterwards was to die, because he felt so depressed etc etc.  I cannot believe the ignorance that still abounds at the highest levele about the side effects of benzos etc etc.

If I can ever remember which radio programme I heard it on  I will try and find it and post details, but it was a year or so ago.

But if you go to Una Corbett's website (battle against tranquillisers, I have posted details of this site many times, but don't have time to google it for you now). you can email her and get more details about one dose sufferers.

I hope this helps you a little, I am absolutely certain that all that was caused by benzos.

Thank you so much Polenta2, that explains so much.  That was when panic attacks started and everything else that was classic benzo W/D.  It did pretty much clear up but it took a long time (like 3 years or so).  Unfortunately, I am still having waves now at 1.5 years (almost).  I, like you, cannot believe the ignorance about these foolish drugs and the fact that they are given out like candy. If you read any more on this, I would very much appreciate anything you can post.  Thanks again.

I absolutely agree with polenta. I had a surgery that ended up the same in 2006. I didn't get sick for 3 weeks after. I was very ill. I was eventually diagnosed with fibromyalgia and cfs. I still have it but it was getting better until 2012 when I ct about a six week prescription of Ativan. I'm worse now than I was the first time that's for sure. So I do believe it can be caused by one dose definitely.

just doen a quick google, I think this may be the programme on Radio 4 in the uk, still available on i player.  don't haave time to find out more atm, will try after xmas.

But you could google the names , and the programme is called "alll in the mind"

INTENSIVE CARE UNIT and POST TRAUMATIC STRESS DISORDER

Claudia Hammond visits Whiston Hospital in Prescot, Merseyside to meet research fellow Christina Jones who for the last ten years has been looking at the after effects of a stay in an intensive care unit.  Claudia also talks to Gillian Sexton, a former patient, about her experience and the importance of the intensive care diary filled in by staff and relatives.

Dr Raj Persaud discusses how patients should be dealt with in post-Intensive Care with the research leader, Richard Griffiths, Professor of Medicine at the University of Liverpool.

and this (havent had time to read it) from the Guardian newspaper:

Vaughan Bell

Sunday 19 January 2014 00.04 GMT

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share via Email Share on LinkedIn Share on Google+

Shares

Comments

I still remember the first patient I saw in intensive care. A naked man, covered by a white sheet, was plugged into banks of machines through cables that radiated from his body. His face was covered by a breathing mask, his blood connected to bags of fluids. Muted and voluntarily immobile, so as not to break the fragile web that kept him alive, his eyes tracked me as I entered the cubicle. Intensive care can be a disconcerting place.

As a treatment, it is remarkably successful. Perhaps the greatest tribute to the people who work in critical care is this simple fact: most people leave intensive care alive – despite being dangerously close to death when they arrive. Through a combination of dedication, decision-making and technology, critical care staff ensure that most people pull through. This is the result of years of careful research that has focused clinical practice on restoring the body's functioning as quickly and efficiently as possible.

But recently there has been a dawning realisation that the impact of intensive care extends beyond the survival of the body. Dorothy Wade is based at University College Hospital in London and is one of the country's few intensive care psychologists. She led a recent study which found that more than half of patients assessed at follow-up had marked psychological difficulties. "We learned that patients were suffering from serious depression or having frightening flashbacks and nightmares to their time in intensive care," says Wade. "This badly affected their quality of life and also held back their physical recovery from their illness."

In another study, recently submitted for publication, Wade interviewed patients about the hallucinations and delusions they experienced while in intensive care. One patient reported seeing puffins jumping out of the curtains firing blood from guns, another began to believe that the nurses were being paid to kill patients and zombify them. The descriptions seem faintly amusing at a distance, but both were terrifying at the time and led to distressing intrusive memories long after the patients had realised their experiences were illusory.

Advertisement

Many patients don't mention these experiences while in hospital, either through fear of sounding mad, or through an inability to speak – often because of medical breathing aids, or because of fears generated by the delusions themselves. After all, who would you talk to in a zombie factory?

These experiences can be caused by the effect of serious illness on the brain, but painkilling and sedating drugs play a part and are now used only where there is no alternative. Stress also adds to the mix but is often caused inadvertently by the way intensive care wards are organised. "If you think about the sort of things used for torture," says Hugh Montgomery, a professor of intensive care medicine at UCL, "you will experience most of them in intensive care. As a patient, you are often naked and exposed, you hear alarming noises at random times, your sleep-wake cycle is disrupted by being woken up for medical procedures through the night, you will be given drugs that could disorient you, and you will be regularly exposed to discomfort and feelings of threat."

This has led to a recent push to reorient treatment toward reducing patient stress, and long-term psychological problems, without sacrificing life-saving efficiency. Take this simple example: a study led by consultant critical care nurse John Welch at UCL found that the pitch or tone of alarms on intensive care equipment has no relation to how urgent the situation is. Many frightening-sounding alarms are just reminders – this bag needs refilling in the next hour; don't forget to change the filter – and are often left until more important tasks are finished. But, to the uninitiated, it might sound as if death is imminent and no one is responding.

Some stress is simply an unavoidable part of necessary medical procedures. Breathing tubes inserted through the mouth or surgically implanted through the neck are notoriously uncomfortable. And, despite the survival rates, people die in intensive care. A daunting experience if you're a patient in the same ward.

Helping patients with their intense emotional reactions, whether they arise from hallucination, misunderstanding or medical intervention, normally happens on an ad hoc basis and for many clinicians it is a relatively new situation that hasn't been incorporated into standard training. In many intensive care units, the approach was to sedate patients for the whole of their admission. As this practice declined, for the first time, clinicians were faced with distressed, possibly hallucinating, awake patients.

Wade is currently working with clinicians to take a more systematic approach to detecting and reducing psychological distress. "There have always been experienced or just naturally empathetic nurses and doctors in intensive care," she says. "We're trying to build on that natural care and compassion by teaching nurses and doctors more about the causes and nature of psychological distress… and training them with simple psychological techniques that could help to reduce immediate and long-term distress."

For his part, Montgomery is less convinced about early intervention. He feels intensive care needs to be reorganised to reduce stress but psychological problems are best dealt with in follow-up clinics.

The best time for treatment is the subject of an ongoing debate, but for the first time studies have been funded that will answer these questions. Intensive care is being rethought and may become, at least psychologically, less intense.

That is impressive information.  I think the whole medical field, especially psychiatry, needs to be reevaluated and computerized.  Too much is left to profit and human error.   

Archived Board: Withdrawal & Recovery Support / Re: I can't come back from this. I'm trapped.

« on: January 18, 2013, 04:46:27 am »

I found a list of my symptoms. I couldn't write them better myself. I have these constantly and very severe. I feel completely hopeless and I hope nobody has to ever get this bad. Take care of yourself to not get this deep.

Dp makes you feel:

Like you don't know who you are

Like you aren't real

Like you are disconnected from your body/actions

Like your throughts are not your own

Like you are a robot

Like you are a ghost

Like you are dead

You lose your sense of self

Plus i used not to be able to recognise myself if I happened to look in a mirror, plus I used to feel that I could float through traffic without being hurt by it, or I could float downstairs etc etc, very dangerous for me that was for many years.  The worst thins for me was not being able to feel anything at all except terror, I felt nothing for myself, for my cats, for anyone in the entire world.

But I don't think any words can really describe it, it is impossible to describe how dead one feels...

Plus i used not to be able to recognise myself if I happened to look in a mirror, plus I used to feel that I could float through traffic without being hurt by it, or I could float downstairs etc etc, very dangerous for me that was for many years.  The worst thins for me was not being able to feel anything at all except terror, I felt nothing for myself, for my cats, for anyone in the entire world.

But I don't think any words can really describe it, it is impossible to describe how dead one feels...

Spot on polenta. Words really can't describe it. It's worse than a funeral to someone you love because everyone feels dead not just one person.

So that's what I'm feeling! It's awful and I always have it more when anxiety is high. I get these panic attacks that last for several hours and dp/dr is with me the whole time. When it's bad all I can do is stare off into space just kind of frozen. Does that happen to anyone else?

So that's what I'm feeling! It's awful and I always have it more when anxiety is high. I get these panic attacks that last for several hours and dp/dr is with me the whole time. When it's bad all I can do is stare off into space just kind of frozen. Does that happen to anyone else?

Yes. I have severe dpdr 24/7 plus 30 to 40 remaining severe physical symptoms.  Not fun.  I look forward to the day when dpdr and anxiety are the only remaining symptoms.  I'll be living large!!!  :thumbsup:

It's no fun at all. I get the frozen part too. When I get that way I feel trapped. Also my memory is shot. Even old memories when I was young. Mom has a shirt with me my sister and dad on it when I was 12. I don't remember taking this photo. She said it was a Christmas present for her. I don't remember it at all. What the heck? Idk anymore. I feel like I'm going to blip out of existence.

• 3 weeks later...
I look at my belongings and coats and clothes and it feels like they belong to the old me.  I'm disconnected from that person now.  I can't connect to my stuff now.  Everything scares me now.  I feel so messed up. 

Every day is such hell for me, I can't even describe it.  Noise was so bad today, I just kept praying that it would stop.  Every day, noise, noise, noise. 

Friends.  I hope so much that we didn't do something to deserve this.  I don't understand the "why" part and just move forward.

I'm so sorry for the drdp!  I hate it too!  But as one of our buddies said, it went away once.  This is all chemical, progressing at a sub-snail's rate.  I experienced the drdp again all day today and missed a day with my daughters even though I was there.  I envy that you are so far out, and this is sloooooooooooowly going away.

Prayers for you!

ty

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [ca...]
    • [Pa...]
    • [Ra...]
    • [In...]
    • [jo...]
    • [Bi...]
    • [Li...]
    • [Re...]
    • [En...]