Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Catholic/ Christian Bbs....?

[An...]

Have any of you who were regular church goers had a severe difficult time attending mass? And not for panic/ anxiety reasons. One of my biggest emotional issues since withdrawaling has been a constant sensation of guilt. Every thought I have, every person I talk to, everything I do makes me feel so guilty. I have convinced myself multiple times that I have "cheated" on my boyfriend (though I have not) and just constantly have a fear of doing something bad that will ruin my relationship with him. I think I am holding out so much on church because when I go I just feel more guilty... Like in order to be on good terms with God I need to apologize to every person for every wrongful thing I have ever done in my life. It's like there is a wall up there for me and I feel like until I am healed and in a normal state of mind it's going to be nearly impossible for me to get back into the regular habit of attending mass. I could really use some support on this subject, as it is something that is very important to me.

Hi Miss Anxious cowgurl,

Its a pleasure to meet you. Im Roman Catholic, its been awhile since i last went to mass 11 months i did feel good about being there last time i went , i felt very welcomed there . i confessed my sins including a terrible sin i did when i was 8 or 9 years old and i've held back all these years i thought after i started xaanx my health was cursed because of that sin i did so long ago . i felt a lil anxiety being at a new place it just takes alot for me to go i dont know if i can attend mass by myself since no one wants to go with me :( umm i thought of going to mass during the week theres fewer people there , the church you attend should have a webpage and times of services i think i'll do this go to mass during the week to a service where theres few ppl attending i really dont want to see an acquaintaince and they want to talk about whats going on in my life and i have to tell them im not working & ill a long time . i think i need to do this i need god more in my life , i can easily spend hours doing nothing or useless things i could and SHOULD sacrifice 1 hour a week to go to mass

nice to meet you cowgurl, i hope you make it to mass ,

katie

For what it is worth, this Atheist has felt the same way about guilt.

Right now- I'm guessing, you and your boyfriend- need to talk. Let him know how you feel, and if he's a keeper he'll listen.  And the same with  your church. Talk to you Pastor when he has the time. Explain to him what's going on with you, and why you've not been there. If I had to register a guess- your God and  your boyfriend will accept you for who you are.  You just need to trust them both enough to let them know your current condition.

Being around others helps me. Being around others who want me around, helps me more.  I think that your Pastor could very easily insure that you're around supportive folks.

Good luck.