Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Christmas dinner

[55...]

[55...]
So I'll be cooking Christmas dinner.  Yes, I'm still in withdrawal but I've decided not to wallow in self pity.  Does anyone have any ideas/recipes?  I bought the turkey today but don't know about the rest. :balloon:

For the last two years we've had a pre-ordered grocery store dinner...turkey (cooked and ready to reheat in a baking pan) and a number of side dishes of your choice for $60.  The first two years I needed to do it because I didn't feel good, this year I'll be ordering it anyway. 

Might depend on the grocery store chain.  I get mine at Raley's.

:)

[55...]
That sounds good....and stress free.  Now I'm wondering what the hell I was thinking with this idea, but I've invited a couple people.  Oh well, I'm keeping it simple.

Buy an appetizer platter.

Make ahead mashed potato casserole. Heat through next day. My mother in laws recipe.

Steamed green beans, the ones already washed, microwaveable in the bag. Throw on some butter and dried thyme.

Buy pies or tarts for dessert.

Get everything from one store.

Or throw in towel and do what challis has done. Makes good sense.

Good ideas Bennie.....I like the store bought appetite tray idea!

And for goodness sake, throw some leggings on! Those penguins are eyeballing you, knowing how cold it is outside!

:laugh:

THIS YEAR IT WILL BE A "SHRIMP BOIL" HELD AT MY COUSINS HOUSE....I'M TAKING "KEY LIME PIE" FOR DESSERT.

NOT TRADITIONAL...WE DID THAT AT THANKSGIVIN.  PLUS, IT DOSEN'T LOOK AS IF IT WILL BE COLD HERE...BOO TO THAT...I'M MORE THAN SURE WE WILL BE IN SHORT! 

FB :smitten:

A really good recipe me and my mother made for Thanksgiving is Brussel sprouts with maple syrup and Bacon (or pancetta, or prosciutto... whatever you want.) Here's one recipe (ours was from a magazine though):

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/maple-bacon-braised-brussels-sprouts-recipe.html

We're making it again for Christmas because we love it so much.

There are a couple ideas that I can share.mthese are dishes you can make the day before and just put them in the oven the day of your dinner.

You could pre boil some harricot verts ( the thin green beans) , make them dry with a paper towel , then take about 6-8 of them in a bunch and roll them in a slice of bacon.

Repeat till they are finished.

Put in an oven dish and cover, in the fridge.

They need about 20 minutes at 375-400 in the oven.

Or you could take belgian andives. Boil ( not all the way done) and let them leak out in a colander.

Then cut each endive in quarters,remove the bitter stem part and roll each quarter into a slice of thin sliced cheese, then in a thin slice of ham.

Also about 20-30 minutes at about 375-400

Cut sweet potato in 1 inch cubes. I'm a mixing bowl, mix the cubes with about 2 table spoons of olive oil, some salt and pepper.

Then put in fridge.

Next day, just throw on a cookie sheet with some cut up shallots. in 400 degree oven for 20 minutes.

Take out the oven, turn the cubes over with a spatula , then sprinkle a little bit of maple syrup and back in the oven for 20 minutes.

Done!

With your turkey and these side dishes, you're set.

Just some mashed potato with butter and chives added. Make the mash a day ahead, add butter and herbs the next day and heat up in microwave.

And home made cranberries sauce.

1 cup of water, one cup of sugar, in a sauce pan till sugar is dissolved on medium heat.

Add a whole bag of cranberries, a cinnamon stick, 1 teaspoon or so of orange zest or peel and boil till all the berries have popped, about 8 minutes.

Let it cool down. Done.

You cane prepare all this a day ahead. Just shove in the oven the day off.

It sounds like a lot. But really isn't.

Hope that is some idea to work with.

There are a couple ideas that I can share.mthese are dishes you can make the day before and just put them in the oven the day of your dinner.

You could pre boil some harricot verts ( the thin green beans) , make them dry with a paper towel , then take about 6-8 of them in a bunch and roll them in a slice of bacon.

Repeat till they are finished.

Put in an oven dish and cover, in the fridge.

They need about 20 minutes at 375-400 in the oven.

Or you could take belgian andives. Boil ( not all the way done) and let them leak out in a colander.

Then cut each endive in quarters,remove the bitter stem part and roll each quarter into a slice of thin sliced cheese, then in a thin slice of ham.

Also about 20-30 minutes at about 375-400

Cut sweet potato in 1 inch cubes. I'm a mixing bowl, mix the cubes with about 2 table spoons of olive oil, some salt and pepper.

Then put in fridge.

Next day, just throw on a cookie sheet with some cut up shallots. in 400 degree oven for 20 minutes.

Take out the oven, turn the cubes over with a spatula , then sprinkle a little bit of maple syrup and back in the oven for 20 minutes.

Done!

With your turkey and these side dishes, you're set.

Just some mashed potato with butter and chives added. Make the mash a day ahead, add butter and herbs the next day and heat up in microwave.

And home made cranberries sauce.

1 cup of water, one cup of sugar, in a sauce pan till sugar is dissolved on medium heat.

Add a whole bag of cranberries, a cinnamon stick, 1 teaspoon or so of orange zest or peel and boil till all the berries have popped, about 8 minutes.

Let it cool down. Done.

You cane prepare all this a day ahead. Just shove in the oven the day off.

It sounds like a lot. But really isn't.

Hope that is some idea to work with.

I love these recipes!

Food lover here.

And I think we just need a bit of a break during this experience and take it easy.

Hope you'll find something you like and take care.

Baked chicken, yams, beets and Swiss chard! Damn healthy.

It must be the 2 eggs every morning that has my cholesterol up.

Oops....wrong thread! I meant to post this to "what's for dinner"!!  :idiot:;D

Homemade tamales!  :)

http://s3.amazonaws.com/rapgenius/filepicker/JOCnBKlJRaH9NWJorXop_southwestern-tamale-lg.jpg

Merry Christmas,

Optimist

• 2 weeks later...
[55...]
Omg, I did it and it was sooooo much work.  Thank god I had my son here to help me....he helped with the preparation and clean-up, I'm so blessed to have such a wonderful son.  It was wonderful to have my family together but that was WAY too much.  Merry Christmas everyone. <3