Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Anybody with experience quitting marijuana?

[Fi...]

Hi all--

My son has no history with hardcore drugs, but just today cold-turkeyed on what had become a daily dope habit.  What can he expect?  Anybody go through this?  Were there withdrawals?  Thanks for any stories.

FJ

I used to smoke very regularily before kids (every day like habit). The withdrawals are very similar to giving up smoking, (anxiety, irritability, depression and both not being able to sit still but finding little pleasure in what one once enjoyed), but with lack of appetite and insomnia thrown in. The worst is over in the first 3-4 days, the next 2 weeks can be a bit cravey and by the end of week 4 he should be fine.

It used to feel pretty dreadful, but so does giving up smoking CT! It is a cake walk compared to benzo's though, but I hope he never has the comparison to be able to make.

I smoked everyday for almost 8 years, I quit about a month and a half ago. Biggest symptoms were suppressed appetite, maybe irritability but I can't tell if that's from my benzo w/d and a lack of interest in things I used to enjoy. I was a habit I always tried to kick and I'm glad I did. I am much more motivated at work now and don't wake up all foggy headed anymore.

I quit (daily, significant use) when my son was born. MUCH easier than cigarettes, which I also quit around the same time.

The only "symptom" was that I "wanted" it. This lasted for maybe up to a week, at most. After that, I didn't even want it. It felt better not being high.

Years later, my cousin had some. Actually talked me into having some. Felt crappy!!!

I think this will only really work if your son wants to stop.

Hope this helps

Thank you so much, you guys, I really appreciate this!  As far as how much he actually "wants" to quit, I think the idea that he should has been creeping up on him for some time but now, his place of work has been bought out by a bigger company who announced they'll be running drug tests in a month!  It definitely seems like this is the universe giving him a wake up call and he actually seems mildly excited about exploring the possibility of getting clean and maybe feeling better about everything.  Your stories are most excellent for passing on to him, plus I like the fact that this is coming from other guys and not his mom!  :smitten::thumbsup:

When I stopped smoking pot every night to sleep I ended up ...

... Thinking about my future goals, having more mental clarity, unexplained motivation and natural energy, did things for other people, participated more with my family and was in the present moment.

I had my fun though, I think I just grew out of it. Feeling slightly dopey/groggy wasn't the effect I no longer wanted. No matter what drug I tried I always went back to beer for some reason.

Thanks so much, Westcoast!  Your letter was so perfect I feared my son would think I wrote it myself!  He's actually more of a beer guy too, and in fact works at a craft brewery.