Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

I have to put my dog down.

[br...]

I'm so sorry. I had to make the decision to have my beloved cat put to sleep, he had chronic renal failure and was really starting to suffer.

It is the most painful decision I have ever had to make in my life and I know how you must be feeling.

Would it help to tell us more or is it just too much for you at this time?

This is a community of animal lovers and I'm sure that all our thoughts and prayers go out to you.

Chinook  :hug:

I'm so sorry. I had to make the decision to have my beloved cat put to sleep, he had chronic renal failure and was really starting to suffer.

It is the most painful decision I have ever had to make in my life and I know how you must be feeling.

Would it help to tell us more or is it just too much for you at this time?

This is a community of animal lovers and I'm sure that all our thoughts and prayers go out to you.

I could not agree more.

Hugs, my friend

LF  :smitten:

Everything has been tolerable. This isn't. How do I get through this? Not even two months off, now I can't stop crying.

This is ever so sad, i am sorry what a painful experience . i had to do the same some years back

and it nearly broke my heart. If your dog was ill it was the best solution , his suffering

came to an end. try to look at it this way, it was salvation.

take care . :smitten:

Break,

I like most animals better than people. It saddens us all, as we all have been through this...some more than once. I wish you fond memories for tears.  m

She is 8 years old, her name is Emilee. She has a heart problem abd she's taking a turn for the worse. She isn't bad all the time, so it's hard because she has good days but the bad days are really bad. When you made that decision were you 100 percent sure it was time? I don't want to wait too long abd she suffers but I don't want her to go either.

Do you take Emilee to a veterinarian? Have you discussed it with the vet? She should be able to help you assess Emilee's quality of life.

I think there are 4 or 5 criteria that vets generally base it on.

It might help you to visit the Association for Pet Loss & Bereavement website, it was started by Dr. Wallace Sife who wrote 'The Loss of a Pet.'

http://www.aplb.org

There's thoughtful and sensitive information there on quality of life and euthanasia. I believe they also offer online counseling.

I hope this helps. Keeping you and your Emilee in my thoughts and prayers,

When I put Gracie down, she was 18, 16 of those years were ours...pound pup. It was time...it was past time, but I had a hard time letting go. I used ether, and she went to sleep in my lap. Still miss her a lot, but that's the price of adoption. Fond memories.    mike

[8f...]

I'm so sorry to hear this, breakinthachainsrl. I know how you feel. My dog, Lexi, has been my best friend through withdrawal.

In 2008, my German shepherd, Jazz, was diagnosed with cancer and I was faced with the same decision you're facing. She had good days and she had bad days.

When she stopped eating, I knew. But it's different for all dogs. I made the decision based on the fact that she couldn't eat or go to the bathroom. Some dogs are in so much pain and that's how the decision is made. Emilee is lucky to have such a caring human right now.

Hugs.  :hug:

[44...]

She is 8 years old, her name is Emilee. She has a heart problem abd she's taking a turn for the worse. She isn't bad all the time, so it's hard because she has good days but the bad days are really bad. When you made that decision were you 100 percent sure it was time? I don't want to wait too long abd she suffers but I don't want her to go either.

I am so so so sorry you are going through this.

I had to put my 16 year old best friend down last summer and it was absolutely the hardest thing I have ever done in my life.

I was really torn about what to do for a couple weeks, I knew it was almost time, so hard to make that decision!

Then one morning I went into the kitchen and he just looked at me with the look that said he is done.

I'm crying all over again talking about it.

We were able to have a vet come to the house that day and take care of it. There is a national organization in the states (not sure where you are) that provides this service. They are very good and I'm sure easy to find online. (I don't think we are supposed to endorse services or products on here but if you PM me I'll give you all the info if you want) It was the best way to handle the worst day of my life.

You and Emilee are in my thoughts.