Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

''Abstract Thinking/What Ifs"

[be...]

this is just a thread to throw some ''twilight-zone-like'' questions out there. subjects that wouldn't necessarily 'qualify' to be in religion/atheist/mystical threads.

is it possible for us to back in time and view various events of earth's/mankind's history? ok, we know that because of the speed of light, when we look at the sun we see it not as it is now but as it was 7 seconds ago. if there was, let's say, a horse galloping on the sun and we could see it, it would appear to be happening now but in fact it would have been galloping seven seconds ago. so by the same token, it there was someone on the sun viewing a horse galloping on earth, the person on the sun would be viewing that horse galloping 7 seconds in the past. the further out in space you go the further into the past you are going. at some point in space the pyramids are being built, neanderthal men are taking down a wooly mammoth, 'lucy' has taken that first descend from a tree, ect.,ect. right down to the big bang if you go out far enough. question is, how can we travel there? we know we can't physically do it yet (most likely never). the distances are too incomprehensibly vast. could viewing the 'akashic records' via 'oobe' be a possible way to view the past? this presupposes you have a belief in such...

to what degree are we responsible for the events in other peoples' lives? let's say i'm pissed at some friends. they were visiting me and we had an argument. i saw their car keys and hid them. they finally found them and left but were 5 minutes behind schedule because of what i did with their keys. when they left my house they were involved in a car accident and were killed. had they left on time they would have avoided the accident and still be alive. did i cause their death?? 

fwiw - the Sun is 8.3 light-minutes from earth.  What you see on the Sun's surface occurred a little over 8 minutes ago.  The Moon is about 1.4 light-seconds from Earth.

I routinely look at distant galaxies (and show other people those galaxies).  There are a couple of pretty brights ones up near the 'big dipper' that are around 12 million light years from Earth.  While you won't see any horses galloping, you can occasionally see a supernova in that galaxy cluster that actually occurred 12 million years ago (but is just now visible from Earth).  The most distant object I've ever seen with my eyes was around a half billion light years away - about the time that the first vertebrates appeared on Earth (whether or not you believe in such).  It's pretty awe inspiring to me.

fwiw - the Sun is 8.3 light-minutes from earth.  What you see on the Sun's surface occurred a little over 8 minutes ago.  The Moon is about 1.4 light-seconds from Earth.

I routinely look at distant galaxies (and show other people those galaxies).  There are a couple of pretty brights ones up near the 'big dipper' that are around 12 million light years from Earth.  While you won't see any horses galloping, you can occasionally see a supernova in that galaxy cluster that actually occurred 12 million years ago (but is just now visible from Earth).  The most distant object I've ever seen with my eyes was around a half billion light years away - about the time that the first vertebrates appeared on Earth (whether or not you believe in such).  It's pretty awe inspiring to me.

heya BSR, thanks for pointing out my incorrect distance 'guesstimations.' and also for letting me know i won't see any 'hor-sees' out there. too bad you couldn't 'take a 'stab' at what i'd asked on either speculation. that's what i was really seeking. you decided you would rather take the 'proof-reading' approach......

You can have a horse in space.  There's a beautiful one near Orion's belt, and another in Scorpius. 

I had no idea how to answer the other part of your question. 

right now, in another universe, each one of us has a counterpart who is reading this exact same statement.only to them, it looks like this siht ekil skool ti ,meht ot ylno.tnemetats emas tcaxe siht gnidaer si ohw trapretnuoc a sah su fo eno hc ae ,esrevinu rehtona ni ,won thgir

Hey BJ!  I do believe that time travel is possible.  How we do it in the physical here on earth is beyond me.  I think when we are in the spirit realm that we can go anywhere by just thinking about it.  Our thoughts take us where we want to go.  That includes going back in time.  I know you have had out of body experiences.  Did you ever try going back in time?

I believe that everything happens for a reason.  We are here on earth for a specific purpose for a specified period of time.  Maybe when we have fulfilled our purpose it's time for us to leave.  I once told someone, "Maybe I'll just do 'nothing' so that I'll never fulfill my purpose, and therefore I'll never die."  She said back to me, "Maybe your purpose is to do 'nothing'.  :idiot:  So I decided I just can't win!  :P  I do believe that we are all connected in some way and everything we do affects others.  Have you heard of The Butterfly Effect?  This video explains it...

As far as being responsible for someone's death due to a series of events out of our control, no I don't believe that.  In your example, yes, you made the decision to hide the keys, but how could you have had any idea what would happen as a result of that?  There were also an infinite series of events that lead up to that very incident of you hiding the keys, which were influenced by an infinite number of people.  So if you believe you are responsible, you could also say that all those people are also responsible in some way.

Just my thoughts...

PD

• 3 weeks later...

this is just a thread to throw some ''twilight-zone-like'' questions out there. subjects that wouldn't necessarily 'qualify' to be in religion/atheist/mystical threads.

is it possible for us to back in time and view various events of earth's/mankind's history? ok, we know that because of the speed of light, when we look at the sun we see it not as it is now but as it was 7 seconds ago. if there was, let's say, a horse galloping on the sun and we could see it, it would appear to be happening now but in fact it would have been galloping seven seconds ago. so by the same token, it there was someone on the sun viewing a horse galloping on earth, the person on the sun would be viewing that horse galloping 7 seconds in the past. the further out in space you go the further into the past you are going. at some point in space the pyramids are being built, neanderthal men are taking down a wooly mammoth, 'lucy' has taken that first descend from a tree, ect.,ect. right down to the big bang if you go out far enough. question is, how can we travel there? we know we can't physically do it yet (most likely never). the distances are too incomprehensibly vast. could viewing the 'akashic records' via 'oobe' be a possible way to view the past? this presupposes you have a belief in such...

to what degree are we responsible for the events in other peoples' lives? let's say i'm pissed at some friends. they were visiting me and we had an argument. i saw their car keys and hid them. they finally found them and left but were 5 minutes behind schedule because of what i did with their keys. when they left my house they were involved in a car accident and were killed. had they left on time they would have avoided the accident and still be alive. did i cause their death??

No you didn't cause their death. Just bad happenings. If I remember my Astronomy class at Syracuse U, then I believe it is a lot longer than 7 seconds. Maybe years, but I can't remember. So much for college. At least we didn't have to pay for it.