Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Invite to learn a new language

[0a...]

[0a...]

Hey everyone (yes, I am back, for the time being.) 

I've been finding that projects are really keeping me on a good path, mentally.  So, along that vein, I wanted to offer an idea to anyone interested. 

I've decided to learn Esperato; it is a synthetic language, with some native speakers, that was devised to be an international language of business, and therefore, was created with a very simple and regular grammar.  You're supposed to be able to have basic conversations with just 1 weekend of study, because of design.  I'm going to study this, because I happen to have an esperanto book, I have a passion for language learning, and with its simple grammar, I should be able to find time to squeeze it in every day, regardless of how I feel, without much pain.

There are free resources for learning Esperanto online.  If anyone else wants to learn the language -- whether it's just to push yourself in some project, out of your rut, or because you like language too -- then feel free to join me.  You can either PM me, if you want, in esperanto, and we can try to learn to talk.  Or, you can post on this thread, see if anyone feels like giving it a try.  I encourage you to try it if you have the time to do so, even if you have bad cog fog!  I think getting our brains going on ideas we're not used to thinking, is a powerful tool for gaining our mental abilities back, and also feeling good about ourselves.  Maybe if we did a small group project of some sort, it'd be good, IDK.  Just an idea.

So yea, that's what I'm doing, and post back in Esperanto if you do it too :)

P.S. I'm also almost fluent (ish) in German, though I could really use a refresher as I haven't been around German speakers in about 5 years, and stopped reading a while back.  If anyone here is looking for a german penpal, you can write me for that too.

Reminds me of my father, who was a well known geologist with the USGS in Menlo Park and D.C.  He had a passion for languages and could speak close to a dozen with fluency and understood a number of other languages without being fluent in speaking them himself.  He always had a notebook to write phrases in, and carried several translation guides when he traveled the world.

I took Latin, Spanish and French in high school and college... no fluency in anything except English. 

By the way, glad to see you here.

Hi Tor

Good to see you back.

Sorry, too much memory loss and cog fog to learn anything new right now.  :tickedoff:

Keep well.

LF  :smitten: