Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Celebration of Robin Williams Life

[au...]

Hi all I thought I would start a positive thread,  the celebration of a beautiful human being, genius quick witted comic and talented actor.

Please all positive uplifting and funny posts are welcome to celebrate his life  :balloon::clap:  :laugh::thumbsup::smitten:

The the below link is to some of his stand up work brilliant!  :laugh::2funny:

http://mic.com/articles/95986/3-hilarious-robin-williams-stand-up-specials-that-showcase-his-genius

Laughter is such great medicine  :laugh::D:smitten:

We all know Robin was an AWESOME Comedian and dramatic actor.

Now, I would like to make mention of all the good he did for others.

He was Christopher Reeves best friend. They shared a room at Julliard, and he helped pay many of Christopher's  medical bills.  He also worked hard to entertain our troops, and he was heavily involved in raising money for St. Jude's Children's Hospital a cause he believed very strongly in.

He was known for his kind hearted, generous, and giving spirit!

It goes without saying....He will be forever missed.

Robin....thank you for all you gave to everything you did. :smitten:

FB

He was Christopher Reeves best friend. They shared a room at Julliard, and he helped pay many of Christopher's  medical bills.  He also worked hard to entertain our troops, and he was heavily involved in raising money for St. Jude's Children's Hospital a cause he believed very strongly in.

FB

Wow what a beautiful post thank you for sharing  :smitten:

“No matter what anybody tells you, words and ideas can change the world.”

Dead Poets Society

“You’ll have bad times, but it’ll always wake you up to the good stuff you weren’t paying attention to.”

Good Will Hunting

“There’s three things in this world that you need: Respect for all kinds of life, a nice bowel movement on a regular basis, and a navy blazer.”

The Fisher King

“You have to break in half to love somebody.”

What Dreams May Come

“Sometimes you got to specifically go out of your way to get into trouble. It’s called fun.”

Good Morning Vietnam

FB

Wow what a beautiful post thank you for sharing  :smitten:

wonderful post Flut, thanks for the link aussiegal. :smitten:

“No matter what anybody tells you, words and ideas can change the world.”

Dead Poets Society

“You’ll have bad times, but it’ll always wake you up to the good stuff you weren’t paying attention to.”

Good Will Hunting

“There’s three things in this world that you need: Respect for all kinds of life, a nice bowel movement on a regular basis, and a navy blazer.”

The Fisher King

“You have to break in half to love somebody.”

What Dreams May Come

“Sometimes you got to specifically go out of your way to get into trouble. It’s called fun.”

Good Morning Vietnam

:thumbsup:

Goooooood Morning Benzo Buddies :)

Not sure how many of you know this, but Good morning Vietnam was Robins break out hit.  After all I have been watching about him over the last view days it was brought to my attention last night while watching a 20/20 special devoted to Robin.

While filming Good Morning V....he adlibbed almost his entire performance.  He had a script, but didn't follow it.  Can you imagine the talent it took to come up with all the off the cuff humor for a movie that lasted almost 2 hrs.  It was said that the cast and crew were blown away and found it hard to keep a straight face. 

He was affiliated with the USO and continued to entertain our troops.

I am including a clip from said movie.  I hope you all enjoy it.

"GOOD MORNING VIETNAM"

FB :smitten:

Goooooood Morning Benzo Buddies :)

Not sure how many of you know this, but Good morning Vietnam was Robins break out hit.  After all I have been watching about him over the last view days it was brought to my attention last night while watching a 20/20 special devoted to Robin.

While filming Good Morning V....he adlibbed almost his entire performance.  He had a script, but didn't follow it.  Can you imagine the talent it took to come up with all the off the cuff humor for a movie that lasted almost 2 hrs.  It was said that the cast and crew were blown away and found it hard to keep a straight face. 

He was affiliated with the USO and continued to entertain our troops.

I am including a clip from said movie.  I hope you all enjoy it.

"GOOD MORNING VIETNAM"

FB :smitten:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Here's anther celeb story about him. Our magazine every year hosted a black tie event that awarded celebs who have done great work the movie industry. It was very popular and about 1,000 people were invited. Including celebs that were given the award in the past. Some of them included Al Pacino, Dustin Hoffman, Steve Spielberg and of course, Robin Williams. Also, even top level Hollywood studio execs were there as well. It was a huge event. The staffers on our magazine were frazzled with preparation.

This particular award was to go to Jane Fonda. And someone had to introduce each person. The person who introduced Jane Fonda was her husband, Ted Turner. Ted is well know in the Hollywood industry to be a severe alcoholic. And a mean one. We all prayed that he wouldn't do something stupid. There was a cocktail event before the show. Ted drank like a truck driver. Then it was time for him to step on the stage with the other past award winners and present the award to Jane. The stage was high. Ted started rambling and made little sense. Everyone chuckled under their breath. Ted finally fell down and rolled off the high stage to the floor. It was an insane moment. We all gasped, and all of us laughed so hard, that the room rumbled. Robin Williams was sitting right behind him. He quickly got off  his chair and went down to the floor where Ted just laid there. Then Robin took the microphone and jokingly said, "Oops Ted, I think your shoelace is untied." :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Bets

Here's anther celeb story about him. Our magazine every year hosted a black tie event that awarded celebs who have done great work the movie industry. It was very popular and about 1,000 people were invited. Including celebs that were given the award in the past. Some of them included Al Pacino, Dustin Hoffman, Steve Spielberg and of course, Robin Williams. Also, even top level Hollywood studio execs were there as well. It was a huge event. The staffers on our magazine were frazzled with preparation.

This particular award was to go to Jane Fonda. And someone had to introduce each person. The person who introduced Jane Fonda was her husband, Ted Turner. Ted is well know in the Hollywood industry to be a severe alcoholic. And a mean one. We all prayed that he wouldn't do something stupid. There

was a cocktail event before the show. Ted drank like a truck driver. Then it was time for him to step on the stage with the other past award winners and present the award to Jane. The stage was high. Ted started rambling and made little sense. Everyone chuckled under their breath. Ted finally fell down and rolled off the high stage to the floor. It was an insane moment. We all gasped, and all of us laughed so hard, that the room rumbled. Robin Williams was sitting right behind him. He quickly got

off  his chair and went down to the floor where Ted just laid there. Then Robin took the microphone and jokingly said, "Oops Ted, I think your shoelace is untied." :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Bets

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Then Robin took the microphone and jokingly said, "Oops Ted, I think your shoelace is untied." :laugh:

So, he had compassion and class  :thumbsup: Two more reasons why he was so well liked and loved.  Perhaps now, (as sad as it is) those who are suffering with depression will no longer have to fear being judged harshly and be made to feel weak if they need to ask for HELP!

Fluter :smitten:

Then Robin took the microphone and jokingly said, "Oops Ted, I think your shoelace is untied." :laugh:

So, he had compassion and class  :thumbsup: Two more reasons why he was so well liked and loved.  Perhaps now, (as sad as it is) those who are suffering with depression will no longer have to fear being judged harshly and be made to feel weak if they need to ask for HELP!

Fluter :smitten:

Fluter:

I know people refuse to seek out help b/c they consider that if they are visiting a psych people will call them crazy and never have the same relationship with them. They look at them as if they have some sort of the Plague. I don't tell anybody (except family) that I am seeking the help of a psych for the same reason. Even my family has labeled me nuts b/c of the benzo thing. They never admit it, but I hear it while they talk behind my back. A BB buddy of mine sent be a water bottle that says, "my goal in life is to have a psychiatrist disorder. Named after me." Mom says I should not take it outside "because of your current circumstances." Bets

I know people refuse to seek out help b/c they consider that if they are visiting a psych people will call them crazy and never have the same relationship with them. They look at them as if they have some sort of the Plague. I don't tell anybody (except family) that I am seeking the help of a psych for the same reason. Even my family has labeled me nuts b/c of the benzo thing. They never admit it, but I hear it while they talk behind my back. A BB buddy of mine sent be a water bottle that says, "my goal in life is to have a psychiatrist disorder. Named after me." Mom says I should not take it outside "because of your current circumstances." Bets

I hear you BG. That is exactly what I'm talking about, and for the record "I know you are not nuts"! Benzo depression is very real!

I have experienced mild depression on and off over my life.  When my husband was killed in a work related accident...I had depression...who wouldn't; however, I can say without hesitation that I never really knew what major depression was until I started tapering.

I went through a horrific 3 week period where I could barely get out of bed. I did seek therapy...as I could recognize it was BAD, and I am not embarrassed or ashamed of this.  Actually, to give voice to this is rather freeing.  I don't feel like I have to hide it, and I have learned that people are going to judge you for something...NO MATTER WHAT :)  I now understand what major depression feels like.  Thank GOD mine subsided, but I am in fear that it will come back at some point. If is does...I will again seek council. 

In this day and time...you would think we could come out of the dark ages and be able to talk about depression; however, for some unknown reason it is still stigmatized, and we do live in fear of being labeled. 

I don't understand this.  It is not like anyone would choose to suffer in this way.  Yet, we still feel we have to suck it up, be tough, cause we should be able to pull our selves out of it (figuratively speaking) We suffer in silence for fear of what others may think. 

I will say this to you know..."I" am so sorry you and anyone here on BB's has or is suffering with depression.  Often...if other's would just PAY ATTENTION and LISTEN it can and will make a huge difference in someone's life.  Knowing that someone is willing to listen with out judgment helps.  So often...we just need to be heard!!!!!!!

I'M LISTENING :smitten:

HEALING HUGS,

FLUTER :hug:

This particular award was to go to Jane Fonda. And someone had to introduce each person. The person who introduced Jane Fonda was her husband, Ted Turner. Ted is well know in the Hollywood industry to be a severe alcoholic. And a mean one. We all prayed that he wouldn't do something stupid. There was a cocktail event before the show. Ted drank like a truck driver. Then it was time for him to step on the stage with the other past award winners and present the award to Jane. The stage was high. Ted started rambling and made little sense. Everyone chuckled under their breath. Ted finally fell down and rolled off the high stage to the floor. It was an insane moment. We all gasped, and all of us laughed so hard, that the room rumbled. Robin Williams was sitting right behind him. He quickly got off  his chair and went down to the floor where Ted just laid there. Then Robin took the microphone and jokingly said, "Oops Ted, I think your shoelace is untied." :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Bets

Magic!  :2funny::laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I hear you BG. That is exactly what I'm talking about, and for the record "I know you are not nuts"! Benzo depression is very real!

I have experienced mild depression on and off over my life.  When my husband was killed in a work related accident...I had depression...who wouldn't; however, I can say without hesitation that I never really knew what major depression was until I started tapering.

I went through a horrific 3 week period where I could barely get out of bed. I did seek therapy...as I could recognize it was BAD, and I am not embarrassed or ashamed of this.  Actually, to give voice to this is rather freeing.  I don't feel like I have to hide it, and I have learned that people are going to judge you for something...NO MATTER WHAT :)  I now understand what major depression feels like.  Thank GOD mine subsided, but I am in fear that it will come back at some point. If is does...I will again seek council. 

In this day and time...you would think we could come out of the dark ages and be able to talk about depression; however, for some unknown reason it is still stigmatized, and we do live in fear of being labeled. 

I don't understand this.  It is not like anyone would choose to suffer in this way.  Yet, we still feel we have to suck it up, be tough, cause we should be able to pull our selves out of it (figuratively speaking) We suffer in silence for fear of what others may think. 

I will say this to you know..."I" am so sorry you and anyone here on BB's has or is suffering with depression.  Often...if other's would just PAY ATTENTION and LISTEN it can and will make a huge difference in someone's life.  Knowing that someone is willing to listen with out judgment helps.  So often...we just need to be heard!!!!!!!

I'M LISTENING :smitten:

HEALING HUGS,

FLUTER :hug:

Fluter:

I don't suffer from depression at all. Never did. I'm just a happy go lucky kinda person. I only see my psych so he can script me with meds and ask if I have any W/D symptoms, which I thankfully do not. When he ask me if I have any symptoms, I just say no. Not a single one. But my brother suffers from depression and the only reason we know is b/c there is a bottle of Paxil in the bathroom. He never says a thing. Bets

I don't suffer from depression at all. Never did. I'm just a happy go lucky kinda person. I only see my psych so he can script me with meds and ask if I have any W/D symptoms, which I thankfully do not. When he ask me if I have any symptoms, I just say no. Not a single one. But my brother suffers from depression and the only reason we know is b/c there is a bottle of Paxil in the bathroom. He never says a thing. Bets

Very happy to hear that you do not suffer from depression, and at the same time sorry for your brother.  And, as we said...usually those that do suffer do it quietly.

Boy, you sure have some super stories. Sounds like you have had a very successful and interesting life :)

Hope you are doing well this evening?  I'm trying to water my dead yard in hopes that this drought doesn't completely kill everything in it. I'm soaked because I can't figure out how to adjust this darn sprinkler.

Be well and happy,

FB :thumbsup:

Very happy to hear that you do not suffer from depression, and at the same time sorry for your brother.  And, as we said...usually those that do suffer do it quietly.

Boy, you sure have some super stories. Sounds like you have had a very successful and interesting life :)

Hope you are doing well this evening?  I'm trying to water my dead yard in hopes that this drought doesn't completely kill everything in it. I'm soaked because I can't figure out how to adjust this darn sprinkler.

Be well and happy,

FB :thumbsup:

Let me take a wild guess and say you are from Calif. :smitten: Lack of water and all. Yes, my job was amazing that I got paid to work from home and socialize with celebs. My greatest challenge was not writing, but having lunch or breakfast or dinner with celebs on my own and not knowing what to say but Hi. Anthony Hopkins was one of my favs. We were at another one of these events and both he and I were in the elevator alone and he had this ugly lime green tie on. I also had a red tie on. I told him, Andy, your tie is uglier than sin. And he said yes, but my wife gave it to me so I have to wear it. I like your tie, so why don't we make the switch? So I gave him my hubby's tie and I got his. He wore it all evening and kept it. My husband refused to wear his ugly tie so it still remains in the closet, unused.

Let me take a wild guess and say you are from Calif. :smitten: Lack of water and all.

Kinda sorta :) Born in San Fran and moved to S. Texas at age 5. So, I consider myself a Texas girl :) And, I bet Anthony H would be very interesting to meet.

FB ;)

I love this thread  :thumbsup:

I'm going to add a link to a very funny scene from "Mrs Doubtfire" I love this film and have watched it many times during withdrawal, it never fails to cheer me up. Robin will be sadly missed  :(

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCUQyCkwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DMAp8j4c2LGs&ei=vIHsU4OiL6rQ7AbzrIDADg&usg=AFQjCNGjaL5LL8hFOPHrMJcGUHS9F0H6tA&bvm=bv.72938740,d.ZGU

Debbie  :smitten:

:2funny: :2funny: :2funny: That was me trying to cook dinner when I first came off benzos  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

God he was a funny man  :smitten:  :thumbsup:

He was, wasn't he, just brilliant!!!!  :laugh: :laugh:

:2funny: :2funny: :2funny: That was me trying to cook dinner when I first came off benzos  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Mornin Deb...I too found M Doubtfire funny.  It feels good to laugh....doesn't it :)

Aussiegal...did you decide to just step out of the kitchen after that kind of a mishap :thumbsup: ....like me?  My family needs Ms. Doubfire to cook for them as they are really missing my homecooking ;)

I hope you are all having a fine day :smitten:

Fluter 

Flutterbyee - definitely the first 6 months the kitchen was a no go zone  ;) 

The sun is shinning and the birds are singing its a beautiful morning in Australia  :smitten:

I hope it is the same where every you are  :smitten:

Mornin Deb...I too found M Doubtfire funny.  It feels good to laugh....doesn't it :)

Aussiegal...did you decide to just step out of the kitchen after that kind of a mishap :thumbsup: ....like me?  My family needs Ms. Doubfire to cook for them as they are really missing my homecooking ;)

I hope you are all having a fine day :smitten:

Fluter 

You can always use take-out like he did. Or she..... :smitten:

Morning All,

Not sure if any of you have heard....

It is my understanding that Robin W was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease, and he did not want his family to have to care for him.  Apparently he has...had it for a while.

Poor man....I feel SO sad for him and his family.

FB