Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Elderly shut-in!!! well I never!!!

[lo...]

Hi fellow BBs

I have been called lots of things but I now have a new description

Elderly shut-in  :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff:

This term was embedded in an email sent to me by my lovely cousin in Australia.

Is this how the Aussies describe the housebound senior citizen?

It conjures up visions of elderly residents  frantically  tunnelling their way to freedom  :thumbsup:

ESI aka :crazy: LF

As an Australian, I would say no. I've never used that expression in my whole life. I'm sure there are a lot of elderly people who are "shut-ins", for whatever reason, and I suppose it's all about perspective too, but I've never personally used the term. Can't speak for other people though.

Mind you, I have used the term "dirty rotten stop out" a lot - that's someone who stays out late .... ahhh let's say "partying" ...lol...

Mind you, I have used the term "dirty rotten stop out" a lot - that's someone who stays out late .... ahhh let's say "partying" ...lol...

That's another new one on me .

I would love to be called that.  ;D

Not much chance though!??! Sigh !!!!!      :tickedoff:

LF (at home)  :crazy:

No one's called me "elderly" yet, at least not to my face.  But I'm 64 now and I suppose it's bound to happen.  I remember when I was in my late 20's, and someone called me "ma'am" for the first time.  I almost went into shock.  As far as the term "shut-in," it's an old-fashioned term and I don't think it's used anymore much in the U.S.  There are probably more politically correct terms now....

::)

We don't call people shut-ins any more.

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/Pictures/web/h/p/b/hello_my_name_is_consultant_badg_450.jpg
We call them consultants.

http://c139491.r91.cf0.rackcdn.com/photos/1473782/medium.jpg?1289916612http://www.talentmatterscanada.com/s/cc_images/cache_3761315404.jpg?t=1360135786http://ambitpros.com/wp-content/uploads/ambit-energy-senior-consultant-pin.png
An elderly shut-in would be a senior consultant.

http://birdshooter.smugmug.com/SouthAmerica/The-Gauchos-of-Estancia-La/i-m6p4WGw/1/S/OldGauch3BEST-S.jpg
Or Señor Consultant.

http://sd.keepcalm-o-matic.co.uk/i/keep-calm-and-obey-your-senior-consultant.png
Now don't that make you feel
a whole lot better?

Hi redevan

I think "senior Consultant" is a great term. :D

Being  housebound, I spend a lot of time "counselling" my friends about their problems.

It makes me feel useful at a time when I can't do much else.  I am always here to listen.  Have you ever noticed how difficult it is to find people who really listen nowadays? I don't know if that has always been the case and I had never noticed before.  I decided to try to become a good listener and people have said they appreciate it.

Think I might become a "life coach" after all this or maybe I should just stay on BB and encourage others that there is hope and they will get better, maybe not 100% but hey, who wants to be perfect?

Imperfections are what makes us all interesting.

And one's own imperfections are never as bad as other people's. Funny that!!    :2funny:

LF :crazy:

Senior Consultant/Counsellor

Hi redevan

I think "senior Consultant" is a great term. :D

Being  housebound, I spend a lot of time "counselling" my friends about their problems.

It makes me feel useful at a time when I can't do much else.  I am always here to listen.  Have you ever noticed how difficult it is to find people who really listen nowadays? I don't know if that has always been the case and I had never noticed before.  I decided to try to become a good listener and people have said they appreciate it.

Think I might become a "life coach" after all this or maybe I should just stay on BB and encourage others that there is hope and they will get better, maybe not 100% but hey, who wants to be perfect?

Imperfections are what makes us all interesting.

And one's own imperfections are never as bad as other people's. Funny that!!    :2funny:

LF :crazy:

Senior Consultant/Counsellor

Brought this to mind.  I think Lucy is also elderly these days.

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w427/Carol_Brainerd/lucy.jpg

Yeah, the whole Peanuts gang is getting ready to move into a retirement community in Boca Vista del Mar, or some such place.

I'll try to find some pictures..

I am 64, and live in Florida (deep South!) Everyone calls females "m'aam", and I hate it. Makes me feel ancient. And elderly - now that's a term I really dislike. I am seasoned, not elderly!  I have wisdom younger folks do not have. I have been there, done that!!!!! By years I may be an old lady, but not in my mind or even how I look. Amen!

east

I am 64, and live in Florida (deep South!) Everyone calls females "m'aam", and I hate it. Makes me feel ancient. And elderly - now that's a term I really dislike. I am seasoned, not elderly!  I have wisdom younger folks do not have. I have been there, done that!!!!! By years I may be an old lady, but not in my mind or even how I look. Amen!

east

If it makes you feel any better, I'm in my 20's, and I call anyone my age or older ma'am(unless I know you personally). I'm from the south as well, and it's simply a sign of respect.  :)

east

If it makes you feel any better, I'm in my 20's, and I call anyone my age or older ma'am(unless I know you personally). I'm from the south as well, and it's simply a sign of respect.  :)

I know "ma'am" is a common term in some parts of the U.S., but I'm from San Francisco, and it was not commonly used there, especially back in the swinging '70's.

:smitten:

Hi East

If you lived in Glasgow, Scotland you would be called "hen" whatever your age.  >:D

You are as young as you feel.  :thumbsup:

Just now, that is about 90.  >:(

LF

east

I know "ma'am" is a common term in some parts of the U.S., but I'm from San Francisco, and it was not commonly used there, especially back in the swinging '70's.

I grew up in Mountain View.  I have many, many great memories of time spent in SF…Chinatown, the Wharf, Alcatraz (our high school senior prom was held on a ferry that circled Alcatraz), Fleishhacker Zoo. 

east

I grew up in Mountain View.  I have many, many great memories of time spent in SF…Chinatown, the Wharf, Alcatraz (our high school senior prom was held on a ferry that circled Alcatraz), Fleishhacker Zoo. 

Hi Chal,

I went to Lowell High, which is out near the Zoo.  It took me 45 minutes to get there from North Beach, mostly standing on the streetcar.  But those were wonderful days, weren't they...the late 60's in San Francisco....

:D

east

Hi Chal,

I went to Lowell High, which is out near the Zoo.  It took me 45 minutes to get there from North Beach, mostly standing on the streetcar.  But those were wonderful days, weren't they...the late 60's in San Francisco....

:D

They were glorious days.  I went to Los Altos High.  Took me five minutes to walk there.  :)

Oh, and the cable car rides…  :smitten:

Yes, after taking a bus and a streetcar, we had to walk about a mile west to the school....I was much thinner and of course younger in those days.  ::)

As far as being called "ma'am," though, if the term was used then, it would have only been for very, very old ladies..... :crazy:

Hi folks

The only time I have been called ma'am was by a young man from the US in a hotel dining room at breakfast time.

I quite liked it. Did not know age was a factor!??

It is better than being referred to as an "auld wifie" (old woman) by a boy in the street.  :tickedoff:

LG

As an Australian, I would say no. I've never used that expression in my whole life. I'm sure there are a lot of elderly people who are "shut-ins", for whatever reason, and I suppose it's all about perspective too, but I've never personally used the term. Can't speak for other people though.

DP:

I had no clue you were an Aussie. I thought you were American. :idiot: