Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Computer question? Any computer geeks to help?

[Be...]

I'm on dialup and I have to download a bunch of MS Updates on patch Tuesday which will take hours.  I have my updates set on manual so I can pick my downloads and do them one at a time, since I don't need MS Office, etc.  My question is:  When I start downloading the one large file which is usually about 20 MB, can I pause the installation on manual download?  I know the auto update will stop and resume when you get off and on the internet.  Can I hit the "Stop Installation" button on the manual download?  Will it start the update over again or will it resume from where I left off when I hit the "try again" button when I get back on the internet?  Thanks,  Can't afford hispeed on disability now.

bump.  I called 3 computer shops today with this question about pausing on manual download of MS Updates and got mixed answers.  No one knows what the "Stop Installation" buttton will do if I tap it.  Afraid to stop installation of downloads in case I have to start it over again.  Does anyone know or have tried it?  I need a pause on manual download.  Don't like the auto updates, since I don't want MS Office updates and stuff I won't use. 

I wouldn't interrupt a manual download mid-stream--could be very confusing to your system. Why not just let the large files download while you're sleeping?

I guess you don't want to be logged on as long as you need to be to download the whole file at the same time, seeing as you're on dial up? So doing it overnight probably wouldn't work. 

I'm not a computer geek by any stretch of the imagination, so I can't answer your question. I guess I can only suggest that you start a download and then stop it after a few minutes. Then try the download again. I suppose you will know then if it goes back to the start or if it picks up from where it left off.

Can you tried contacting MS themselves or maybe your service provider?  Hopefully someone else who knows about these things will chime in.

[c5...]

I wouldn't interrupt a manual download mid-stream--could be very confusing to your system. Why not just let the large files download while you're sleeping?

I second this. Windows updates get screwed up often.

I can't afford broadband, I'm on disability now.  Is there a way to check what's being downloaded when it's on auto update?  Is it ok to disconnect from the internet with auto updating?  Do I need the recommended files?  What's the difference between the important and recommended updates and the MS products?  Do I need all those boxes checked below the important updates area I have set to "check for updates, but let me decide what to install?"  I just want to get the MB reduced to download if I do it here at home.  I'm too sick to leave the house and get to Wifi.  I'm afraid to leave it on overnight connected to dialup.  I'm afraid it will disconnect or overheat.  I'm afraid of this computer with my fear and obsessing I've got now.

There are some third party apps that will allow you to stop and start downloads. I'm a Mac person (with decent experience with Windows and some Linux) though so I don't know any specific ones. What version of Windows are you on?

You could try this one, I can't vouch for it though.

http://flashget.en.softonic.com

Or look through these to see if there's one you like.

http://en.softonic.com/s/download-manager-pause-resume

I'm on Windows 7.  I have trouble downloading stuff because I don't have the speed.  That's what terrifies me here at home.  Hispeed is about 50 bucks a month here where I live.  I can't afford it.  Do I need those MS products and recommended updates boxes checked?  I don't have anyone to help me with my computer problems here at home. 

I'm on Windows 7.  I have trouble downloading stuff because I don't have the speed.  That's what terrifies me here at home.  Hispeed is about 50 bucks a month here where I live.  I can't afford it.  Do I need those MS products and recommended updates boxes checked?  I don't have anyone to help me with my computer problems here at home.

No I'd just go for the ones labeled critical because those are usually the security updates. All the other ones typically aren't have to haves unless something on your system isn't working for you. They're typically things like language updates etc.

One option may be to get a small usb thumb drive. They sell them in all kinds of places now for pretty cheap. If you know someone with high speed you can possibly get them to download those files into the thumb drive for you. Some libraries have internet, but sometimes they block connecting to some sights. I'm surprised they don't offer a DSL light option for you. The speeds are a bit slower than regular DSL but a lot faster than dial up and cheaper than full blown DSL. I know you're on a tight budget, but the DSL light might not be much more than dial up. I'm pretty computer savvy though, so feel free to ask whenever you need help. I'll try my best to do what I can.

I usually can get in the car and get to the library on patch Tuesday, but it's supposed to rain this Tuesday.  I have trouble driving now with the cog fog and the anxiety of getting to the library and driving in the rain and then dealing with these updates gives me bad anxiety.  I think I can manage manual downloads of one file at a time here at home.  20MB might take 3 hours to download on 40kbps. dialup!  This is a nightmare.  those updates aren't made for slow speeds.  Damn Microsoft.  At least Avast is dialup friendly.  Alot of ppl. in remote areas of the world are still on dialup.  I read at least 1 million ppl. here in the US are still on dialup.  Screw Microsoft and shame on them for not catering to dialupers. 

I usually can get in the car and get to the library on patch Tuesday, but it's supposed to rain this Tuesday.  I have trouble driving now with the cog fog and the anxiety of getting to the library and driving in the rain and then dealing with these updates gives me bad anxiety.  I think I can manage manual downloads of one file at a time here at home.  20MB might take 3 hours to download on 40kbps. dialup!  This is a nightmare.  those updates aren't made for slow speeds.  Damn Microsoft.  At least Avast is dialup friendly.  Alot of ppl. in remote areas of the world are still on dialup.  I read at least 1 million ppl. here in the US are still on dialup.  Screw Microsoft and shame on them for not catering to dialupers.

I can understand your situation. My dad lives in the mountains of northern Virginia. He doesn't have many options for internet either. You don't have to be super vigilant and update right when an update comes out. Most of the security problems come from surfing the internet anyway. So as long as you're pretty careful not to go to suspicious websites, plus you have antivirus you should ok until you can update your system. So don't stress about it too much.  :)

I agree with Siggy.

Don't let MS Updates become nightmarish, fer Pete's sake! Just skipping the whole thing is certainly an option.

Or, just let automatic updates handle it while you're online and feel like letting them do some downloading. You can check only the ones you want to let them give you. You're in charge!

I don't know which updates I should have?  I obsess too much with this w/d and think I need to get them all downloaded at once in one day in case they cause a problem with my netbook.  I did auto updating before and I had all kinds of problems with BSOD, etc.  That's why these updates scare me.

I meant unchecking the ones you know you don't want, like Office updates if you don't use Office. I always get the ones I don't know what the hell they are because they might be important.  ???

I guess I could hide the MS Office ones.  I don't know if I need the ones marked "recommended?"  I guess I need the "important" ones related to security and the Windows Defender ones.  I don't need the "important" ones on MS Office, I guess?

I guess I could hide the MS Office ones.  I don't know if I need the ones marked "recommended?"  I guess I need the "important" ones related to security and the Windows Defender ones.  I don't need the "important" ones on MS Office, I guess?

I don't know which updates I should have?  I obsess too much with this w/d and think I need to get them all downloaded at once in one day in case they cause a problem with my netbook.  I did auto updating before and I had all kinds of problems with BSOD, etc.  That's why these updates scare me.

Hi,

In answer to your first post, I'm not a "geek" (hopefully) but am a professional software developer.

With every possible disclaimer known to man, and then some, I will tell you what I do, but do not specifically recommend it.

Now, having excused my self from all responsibility :) ... here's what I do:

I disable all updates to everything, and don't give it a 2nd thought. My family all does the same. I find it all a giant pain, especially when one shuts down Windows, perhaps in a hurry to go somewhere, and receives a message telling you not to turn off your PC or else.

At your own risk...either way....

Best,

Steve

PS - I am extremely careful about surfing, though, and about what email I open.

stevesny,  are you serious about not installing MS Updates at all?  I only visit a few reputable websites.  I drove in the rain to the library today and spent 3 hours downloading and installing 100MB of those damn updates on 54Mbps wifi speed.  What a nightmare.  I downloaded them manually and had to do restarts, etc.  I had a problem with auto updating a year ago and was getting BSOD's, and other crap going on.  I guess it was interfering with the lousy Bitdefender AV I had mistakenly bought.  Now I use Avast and like it.  This is too much stress for me with this sensitive CNS. 

hi becks , 

i consider myself computer savvy , you can just cancel the automatic download and click start menu go to all programs- windows update, it will can your computer what updates you need it will make a list of files you need , it will show the megabyte size next to it, all you really need is just the critical updates i used dialup long ago on my first computer you can achieve 20 megabytes an hour max speed ,

this is something you can do when asleep , i highly recommend that you save the files to your hard-disk to put on a cd/dvd to use at a later future date if needed

stevesny,  are you serious about not installing MS Updates at all?  I only visit a few reputable websites.  I drove in the rain to the library today and spent 3 hours downloading and installing 100MB of those damn updates on 54Mbps wifi speed.  What a nightmare.  I downloaded them manually and had to do restarts, etc.  I had a problem with auto updating a year ago and was getting BSOD's, and other crap going on.  I guess it was interfering with the lousy Bitdefender AV I had mistakenly bought.  Now I use Avast and like it.  This is too much stress for me with this sensitive CNS.

I am absolutely serious. I don't necessarily recommend that though.

In fact, whenever I install a new OS, one of the first things I do is disable MS downloads, so I don't get hit with "downloading 1 of 1000 updates" when I power down.

In my household, I also have the fewest issues with malware. My wife has them, and I fix. My son, when he was younger, had them and I'd fix. I rarely have issues. I presume it's because I'm careful, although I do take chances once in a while, believing that, if something happens, I'll be able to deal with it.

I also use the free Microsoft Security Essentials with Windows 7. It has a small footprint, and works well, IMHO.

Not sure what I'd do if in your shoes. Dial up (as you certainly know) was painful even in 1999. Now, with websites expecting broadband, they are graphic intensive.

Ultimately, the idea behind updates is to provide for a better computer experience. With dialup (especially), updates provide for a worse experience.

I guess I'd try and find a way to do as much as I could locally. For instance, perhaps, if you could make sure all important data is always backed up, as well as your OS, and you are careful, as you say, then you could potentially skip updates and even malware protection, and let your PC run as fast as possible.

Then, if you had an issue, you could reinstall. In that case, you might either never have an issue or, have occasional large-ish issues rather than deal with a constant nuisance.

Again, it would be irresponsible of me to advise, in any general sense, against updates.

BTW, I imagine you've thought about this, but do you have any neighbors who use wireless that you could piggy back off of?

Feel free to PM me. I just noticed this thread and thought I'd add my .02 cents.

Good luck, both with your PC and Benzos!!!!

Steve

Why would the updates be a worse experience with dialup?  Now I'm in a quandry about should I or should I not get the updates?  Because it just slows things down when they're downloading?  I don't visit graphic intensive sites much and they do come up for me rather well.  The windows defender files download quickly on dialup.  I don't understand all this stuff very well.

Updates would just be worse with dial up because they'd take a lot longer to download. They can even take a lot of time with DSL. I think as long as you keep your antivirus up to date and keep the firewall on while not going to a bunch of weird sites you can do critical updates every two to four weeks.

One of our IT guys at work said you should be able to stop a windows update download and start it again later.

Not to confuse you, but you could use a Linux Ubuntu live CD. It will let you boot off of the disk and use the OS and browser without any worries about a virus. http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

Why would the updates be a worse experience with dialup?  Now I'm in a quandry about should I or should I not get the updates?  Because it just slows things down when they're downloading?  I don't visit graphic intensive sites much and they do come up for me rather well.  The windows defender files download quickly on dialup.  I don't understand all this stuff very well.

<<

Why would the updates be a worse experience with dialup?

>>

Because the downloading takes a lot longer.

As far as understanding: MS Windows, and IE, being the most popular OS/Browser, come under attack from 'bad guys." This can range from kids playing pranks to people trying to install software on your PC that captures your keystrokes, such as credit card and banking information.

But, any computer can catch viruses and so on. "Bad guys" BTW, also exist in stores, where they can access to your credit card and banking info. "Bad guys" even install scanners into ATMs that can capture your info! In fact, my only issues ever with compromised info has not been via my PC.

So, now that I've "spilled the truth," we can all be more paranoid. What fun!

Back to your PC: You can set Windows 7 to "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them." I think someone may have already mentioned something like that.

This is all personal preference (as I see it), as there's (IMO) no truly "rational" way to decide between poor usability due to excessive updates or poor usability/theft by malware.

Hope this helps. I'd suggest doing that which make you feel the least uncomfortable, and leave it at that.

Steve

PS  - As far as Ubunto: Linux is less prone to malware, because it’s not in heavy use. That may be an option but, since you said you don’t understand this stuff well, might be yet another nuisance to you.

Updates would just be worse with dial up because they'd take a lot longer to download. They can even take a lot of time with DSL. I think as long as you keep your antivirus up to date and keep the firewall on while not going to a bunch of weird sites you can do critical updates every two to four weeks.

One of our IT guys at work said you should be able to stop a windows update download and start it again later.

Not to confuse you, but you could use a Linux Ubuntu live CD. It will let you boot off of the disk and use the OS and browser without any worries about a virus. http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

I did have the original question of whether on manual download when you hit the "Stop Installation" button if it allows you to pause and then resume?  I only get updates on patch Tuesday, once a month and some small Windows Defender updates throughout the week, which go very quickly on this accelerated dialup.  Some days I don't get the auto check for updates.  I thought it was supposed to check between 17-22 hours each day?  Some days it's more than 22 hours and it hasn't auto checked, other days it does check.  Wonder why?  Maybe I just "check for updates" right away and don't give it a chance.  Usually it does it right away when I log on.