Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Move to Europe?

[re...]

I think all you need is a work visa TT...find out how hard that is and go for it! I spent 4 yrs in Germany (was in military at the time) and loved every minute of it. It's funny you should mention this...I've been daydreaming about living in London for the last two yrs but I'm a little long in the tooth for it I s'pose. Where are you thinking of?

Just go for it...life is for living!!!

Well I was thinking of London, of course.

'ooo's your TT, Luv? Eh, wot?

But if not London, or somewhere else in the UK, I could see Dublin, or even Galway.

Dublin would be more my speed, in the long run, I guess.

I'm not sure I have the GABA to deal with something truly foreign, like Rome.

Ah, ma come mi piacerebbe quello!

Gotta go see my pope, before they make him a saint.

There's no talking to em then. Ya gotta pray to em! Sheesh!

Not Berlin. Too degenerate.

Willkommen, Bienvenue, la la...  -Brian: Oh screw Maximilian.  -Sally: I do.  -Brian: Hahaha. So do I.

I might like it too much.

But maybe Vienna? Oder Salzburg? Oder vielleicht Zürich?

I didn't really like Paris that much, but I suppose it would do. The thing is, I don't drink any more.

Vivre à Paris sans vin. Mais quel est le point de tout cela?

I'm told Poland is a good place to go.

There's no land like Po-land.

But I speak not a word of Polish, not even Shoe Polish or Nail Polish.

I'd have to manage with a blend of half a dozen other languages,

and in the confusion, I might end up dancing a mazurka to a Bobby Vinton tune.

It's just not worth the risk.

Oh, maybe I should just lower my sights and move to Canada.

I mean, it's almost like a foreign country, in a way.

But if not London, or somewhere else in the UK, I could see Dublin, or even Galway.

Willkommen, Bienvenue, la la...  -Brian: Oh screw Maximilian.  -Sally: I do.  -Brian: Hahaha. So do I.

I didn't really like Paris that much, but I suppose it would do. The thing is, I don't drink any more.

Our family is from Poland, and it's really getting into gear now. Looks just like the US now. But learning a Slavic language? Extremely difficult. And NOBODY speaks English there. It took me years. Pisonie po polsku jest jak oddania lokcieha muszynie. (translation: Writing in Polish is just like putting your elbows on a typewriter.) And if you're thinking of London then be prepared to never eat a decent meal again. And buy 10 raincoats. Ireland is wonderful, but nobody seems to want to work there. They like to sit it pubs, drink and watch soccer. The food sucks but nobody  cares b/c they are too drunk. Canada? Brrrr! Plus the health care system stinks. If you don't drink than don't bother with Paris. They will think you are a mental case. Italy is great but the people tend to be crazy. And they pretend not to speak English just to aggravate Americans. I've been to all of those countries so I have a feel for it. Bets

Well, Vienna looks better and better.

But could I really tell people Ich bin ein Wiener?

This is harder than I thought it would be.

:laugh: ... you have such a great sense of humor! I've been all over western Europe and I absolutely loved every experience...I wasn't looking for another home, just experiencing different cultures. London, Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Brugge, Luxembourg, Barcelona, Venice, Pisa, Rome, Paris, Austria, and too many places in Germany to count. I never got to Ireland...if I make it back to Europe, that's my first stop.

Take the chains off sweetheart!  :)

:laugh: ... you have such a great sense of humor! I've been all over western Europe and I absolutely loved every experience...I wasn't looking for another home, just experiencing different cultures. London, Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Brugge, Luxembourg, Barcelona, Venice, Pisa, Rome, Paris, Austria, and too many places in Germany to count. I never got to Ireland...if I make it back to Europe, that's my first stop.

Ireland happened to be my fav. The people there are so cheerful and just love Americans. Me and hubby made the long drive from the airport to Dublin. They are only single lanes roads and the sides of them are covered with stone walls. In the early days, a farmer had to keep his piece of land by containing it with the walls, and were taxed accordingly. So Ted and I got stuck behind a car that just parked in the middle of the road. No place to go. So we knocked on a person's door and they said they will remove the car once the soccer game was finished. So they invited us in, fed us, gave us beer and we all watched the game together. They treated us as if we were invited to a party. We spent two hours with them. Bets

Ireland happened to be my fav. The people there are so cheerful and just love Americans. Me and hubby made the long drive from the airport to Dublin. They are only single lanes roads and the sides of them are covered with stone walls. In the early days, a farmer had to keep his piece of land by containing it with the walls, and were taxed accordingly. So Ted and I got stuck behind a car that just parked in the middle of the road. No place to go. So we knocked on a person's door and they said they will remove the car once the soccer game was finished. So they invited us in, fed us, gave us beer and we all watched the game together. They treated us as if we were invited to a party. We spent two hours with them. Bets

Yes Bets...that's what I'm talkin' about!! Also loved how you can tell what country you're in just by the architecture....just such meaningful experiences! Strangers sit and eat together...amazing! I could go on and on...I'm so blessed to have the memories...  :)

I've been to Ireland. Stayed in Dublin, in the Temple Bar area. A bit noisy, but hey - I love the night life, I got to boogy..

Dublin did not make a good first impression, what with trash floating down the River Liffy (which is actually more of a creek), and people on the street just dropping their empty pop cans on the sidewalk, and no one so much as batting an eye at it. I suppose 900 years of oppression leave some mark. But Dublin grows on you. After a few days, it's love, real love. I could live there, most definitely.

Then we drove to Galway. Just a day trip - point the car west and go. Just be sure to stay in the wrong lane at all times - another souvenir of British rule. Galway is so cool, but the best part was the getting to it - the drive across the island. I swear there were leprechaun crossings - which I expected. What surprised me was the obvious prosperity -  new buildings, new cars, good roads, hordes and herds of kids everywhere, looking well fed and well dressed. Of course, this was a couple years ago. I know times got a bit harder for a while. But nothing like the Great Potato Famine, I'm sure. I love the way they decided not to by-pass the city centres when they built their motorways. Instead, when the motorway comes to a town or village, it just becomes the high street, and you drive right through the centre. And then, it becomes a motorway again. This has kept those old city centres from drying up and crumbling into dust, as has happened in the USA. And yes - the people there were friendly, but not pesky. I mean, they could be a bit stone-faced at first, but once you started talking to them, it was all over. They melted. But then again, Dublin is the only city I saw that had bouncers stationed outside every pub and club, day and night, and I found out why. We had a waiter who was actually from Canada, studying in Sweden, but came to Dublin to work for the summer. He was young, so I asked him if he got out and enjoyed the nightlife. Oh, he said, I did at first, but I stopped. The people here, in the bars, all they do is drink and brawl. Ha!

Yeah, I liked Ireland just fine. Too bad I don't drink any more.... hmmmm....

Yes Bets...that's what I'm talkin' about!! Also loved how you can tell what country you're in just by the architecture....just such meaningful experiences! Strangers sit and eat together...amazing! I could go on and on...I'm so blessed to have the memories...  :)

Seems like you're down to Vienna or Ireland...

Why do you want to move? Just curious!

Well, I don't know exactly. I guess it's like this: from where I live, I can drive a couple hours and see Chattanooga - you know, Lookout Mountain, Wonder Cave, Fatman Squeeze, Rock City, Tennessee-Alabama Fireworks - all that and more. Or if I drive the other direction, I can get to maybe Stone Mountain. Wow. It hardly matters. It's all one big soulless sprawl now. There's no sense of place any more anywhere, no real local character, no local people - that's strictly forbidden these days, of course. I was thinking maybe I could still find something of that in Europe, though I'm sure it's disappearing there too. I don't know. Lately, I feel like a stranger in my own homeland. I was hoping to feel more at home in some strange land.

My son lived there for almost a year and loved it - great medical care, beautiful scenery - just remember the north island is the warmer part of the country - south is cold. 

Sounds great to me - I am up to seeing the 4 walls of my bedroom and the couch for now but hopefully when I feel better I will get my urge to travel back. 

Sounds great to me - I am up to seeing the 4 walls of my bedroom and the couch for now but hopefully when I feel better I will get my urge to travel back.

You will, don't worry. I'm just starting to get my travel lust back. Not quite ready to buy the ticket, but ready to start thinking and talking about it. I think it helps to dream a bit. My real dreams aren't always that pleasant.

Evan, I was a big traveler, too. I really enjoyed china, but would never move there. Much more of a felt sense of community, that's really lacking in the US and I know what you mean about feeling like a stranger in your own land... I've thought about sustainable communal living in the US, but that could be a disaster. I hear Bhutan has the happiest (and most poor) citizens in the world. Or Maybe Denmark?