Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Ubuntu

[be...]

I'm actually mainly a Mac person, but I have installed many different Linux versions on PC hardware. Ubuntu probably is my favorite one though. It's the easiest to use version of Linux IMO. Apps are probably the hardest thing to deal without. There just aren't many professional apps on Linux. You can run Windows apps on  Linux using either a VM (Virtual Machine) or you can install Wine if you have some paid for Windows apps that you must have. http://www.winehq.org

Have fun with the switch.

I'm actually mainly a Mac person, but I have installed many different Linux versions on PC hardware. Ubuntu probably is my favorite one though. It's the easiest to use version of Linux IMO. Apps are probably the hardest thing to deal without. There just aren't many professional apps on Linux. You can run Windows apps on  Linux using either a VM (Virtual Machine) or you can install Wine if you have some paid for Windows apps that you must have. http://www.winehq.org

Have fun with the switch.

thanks....Ubuntu Rocks...and free as well!

Hi BJ you seem rather PC savvy to use linux/unix i heard of those before im still in the stone age using windows XP mm i have windows vista on cd i need to use it "one of these days "

the reason why im not using windows 7 , my computers are really old i got them used cheaply or free $12-25 for the mainboards and cpu/fan , i used old drives  other parts to use over again

the last computer i got i think it can handle windows 7 its a AMD 3.8 ghz duo core

i just need to add another stick of memory windows 7 requires over 1gb of DDR memory

hi BA, i don't know about the me being 'savvy' part. the most i've ever done on my own was replace a hard drive on the pc i had before this one. ubuntu is very easy to navigate through and the desktop is a lot less 'busy' than windows 8. i'm running it along with xp on this pc, only for online purposes. i haven't switched over to it exclusively yet. still use xp for most programs. that's great that you can build your own pc's. if you want to just try ubuntu you can make your own boot up disc for free at their website. if you like it you can then use it for free or just delete it...tc

[d7...]

Nice to see someone in the Opensource commuity here.  I use both Windows and Linux OS (we have Suse Linux).  I unfortunately need to keep Microsoft around for now, since the Windows OS is the only OS that the design software (which I'm currently using to make a living with) will run on.  I'll be glad on the day that the Opensource community makes a true rival to the professional 3d parametric modeling software, but as far as I know they aren't there yet, and I am unfortunately not programming-savvy enough to help those projects along.

-Tor

[d7...]

Hi BJ you seem rather PC savvy to use linux/unix i heard of those before im still in the stone age using windows XP mm i have windows vista on cd i need to use it "one of these days "

the reason why im not using windows 7 , my computers are really old i got them used cheaply or free $12-25 for the mainboards and cpu/fan , i used old drives  other parts to use over again

the last computer i got i think it can handle windows 7 its a AMD 3.8 ghz duo core

i just need to add another stick of memory windows 7 requires over 1gb of DDR memory

Hi Babyangel.

We built a computer not long ago.  It's a quad core  >:D

Is your motherboard's bus speed able to keep up with your upgrades, on the computer that you're going to buy RAM for?

Hi Babyangel.

We built a computer not long ago.  It's a quad core  >:D

Is your motherboard's bus speed able to keep up with your upgrades, on the computer that you're going to buy RAM for?

wow nice computer you got ! unfortunatly my duo core computer i got i had no idea what brand it was i was buying i woiuldnt have got it if i knew it was a HP/compaq im having trouble finding software for it especially the LAN drivers i might just connect it directly to my cablemodem with a usb cable then i can update windows and get the LAN drivers that way :)

mm im not sure the bus speeds ill have to look at my in box again to see what kind of hp it is , i know that memory is cheap like $5-10 for a 1gb ddr stick