Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Bob Dylan

[st...]

I was always a big Dylan fan. Everyone has their favorites but I think Highway 61 Revisited is a work of pure genius (although "Your Gonna Make me Lonesome When You Go" is actually my favorite tune.

I have a lot of funny memories.  I remember how everyone seemed to have some intricate interpretation of the meaning of "Ballad of a Thin Man' - everything from protest against the media to gay rights (and wasn't it alluded to in some Counting Crows song?).  I remember how my atheist hippie college girlfriend got all pissed when he went through his Christian phase and swore to never listen again, but I caught her sneaking albums on her stereo.

But my favorite stories came from the electric utility guys I worked with in my job who used to service/visit his Malibu home.  They said he was the nicest, most down-to-earth celebrity they dealt with around there.  If he was around he always came out to talk to the meter readers and lineman.  And since a lot of these guys were very young, they didn't know who he was - some of them said they first thought he was some homeless guy wandering the property until he told them he was a musician.  But he never alluded to how famous and legendary he was, at least not with these guys.

I was always a big Dylan fan. Everyone has their favorites but I think Highway 61 Revisited is a work of pure genius (although "Your Gonna Make me Lonesome When You Go" is actually my favorite tune.

I have a lot of funny memories.  I remember how everyone seemed to have some intricate interpretation of the meaning of "Ballad of a Thin Man' - everything from protest against the media to gay rights (and wasn't it alluded to in some Counting Crows song?).  I remember how my atheist hippie college girlfriend got all pissed when he went through his Christian phase and swore to never listen again, but I caught her sneaking albums on her stereo.

But my favorite stories came from the electric utility guys I worked with in my job who used to service/visit his Malibu home.  They said he was the nicest, most down-to-earth celebrity they dealt with around there.  If he was around he always came out to talk to the meter readers and lineman.  And since a lot of these guys were very young, they didn't know who he was - some of them said they first thought he was some homeless guy wandering the property until he told them he was a musician.  But he never alluded to how famous and legendary he was, at least not with these guys.

bobo,

That is just great! Heart-warming, actually. Out of all the things that are possible in this world, I would never have thought it would have been possible to increase my opinion of this guy, in ANY regard whatsoever... but your story did. So...thank you! :)

When you mentioned interpretation, I recently heard, on you tube (now deleted, unfortunately) part of an interview with Joan Baez. Looked other places for it, and it seems it was from No Direction Home, which I think I saw, but don't remember this:

About an hour into Bob Dylan: No Direction Home, Joan Baez—in an interview that will be edited by your PBS station—recalls an invincible young Dylan imagining what they'll be saying about him in the future: "A bunch of years from now, all these assholes are going to be writing about all this shit I write, and I don't know where the fuck it comes from and I don't know what the fuck it's about, and they're going to write about what it's about."

He was, of course, right! :)

Now, since I wasn't able to post that, here are 2 others, one of which I already posrted to another BB thread: "Mama You Been on My Mind."

Bob and Joan, 1964

http://vimeo.com/88290652

Bob

http://vimeo.com/79431247

Steve :)