Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

If you could start your life over from the end of high school what would you do?

[Ch...]

I don't know what I want to do with my life yet...

I know a lot of you here are older I'm pretty young, if you could kind of "start over" what would you want to do,change, become?

:) (Assuming benzos were not in the picture)

That's so hard to say because when you are young it's hard to see the whole picture.

Everything I would have done differently relates more to myself and my psychology more then any generalized advice I can give.

For example I think I would have looked for a stable niche occupation because as it turns out I am not good with dealing the stress of the unknown and I lack confidence to make changes.

But that is completely specific to me.

Maybe your psychology is completely different.

I wish I would have become more aware of the things that could become problematic in my life.

I feel like I was blindsided by some problems that in hindsight I could have seen coming.

I would say always try to be as honest with yourself as you can be.

Always be willing to see what you need to work on and to view your shortcomings.

At the same time don't assume you know yourself more then you do. It's weird but sometimes when you're younger you can have an idea of what you are like that might be different then how you actually are. It's like we typecast ourselves and then we don't see what is really going on or what we really need to look out for.

Basically I would have tried to be more attuned to my psychology and then tried to set my life up more accordingly.

I would do the same things really - go to University, get married, have a good career in research. Would not want to change these things. However I would have children in my new life and get a PhD and call myself doctor  :-\

I would worry less if I could go back & start again & not set myself unrealistically high targets.

I would not want to  be a different person as I quite like who I have become :yippee:

It is who you are that is important rather than what you have achieved.  :smitten:

Friends & family are most important & I would not change them.

LF

[8d...]

I would have avoided going to the expensive, "big name" (in my area) university, and avoided the insane debt. Debt is slavery - never forget.

I would have studied more of my own interests, on my own and also at a more affordable school, one that had good academics backing it, not just a name, and while I we at said school, I would have demanded to take only classes I wanted, since I was paying, and find loopholes out of their academic checklists , instead of accepting them.

I'd have spoke up and demanded more, in general.

I'd have looked toward starting my own business right from the start, instead of following the status quo and fighting my own nature to work at an unfullfilling corporate job. I would have acknowledge much sooner than age 25 that taking orders from others, on Not only my job but also my sleep schedule (have to work 8 to 5), when I take lunch and for how long, what I wear and how often I get up to stretch, etc, was not cool with me, and that I was better suited to be independent, work part time odd jobs as needed in between having contacts for work that I do from home as a consultant (as I now finally do.)

I'd have bit my tongue when talking to those I loved, and not said things I didn't mean that hurt some one who I really cared about, and ended our relationship.

And I'd have picked a phone with a smoother interface and better spell checking, so I didn't have to edit my posts several times  >:(