Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

I made a silly comment

[ba...]

I'm going to be the odd one out here, and maybe I'm being taken for a ride but, from what I can tell there isn't a reason to doubt Babyangel's autism (in fact, guys a lot of what she does kinda indicates autism).

I'm also going to be the odd one out because I don't think I do hold an autistic person to the same social standards I might expect from someone else. Sure I'd inform them they aren't being appropriate etc but I can't imagine being outraged by something thoughtless they did. It is kinda like being outraged with someone with schizophrenia for having hallucinations. She may not feel bad for insulting Professor Ashton, but if she does have autism she does genuinely have a cognitive deficit with empathy (a pre-requisite for feeling bad for someone else).

Just on hallucinations, this is a girl who describes herself as having them...

In any case Babyangel having autism may be a reason - though not an excuse - for some of your behaviors but it doesn't mean you can't learn social norms. If you can't feel bad for someone for instance then it might be best to stick to the rule: 'if you can't say something nice don't say anything at all'.

I think it's very kind of you to give her the benefit of the doubt, Smiff. However, I've worked closely with autistic children. I don't believe we're dealing with a young woman who is suffering with autism at all.  I suspect we are dealing with a young woman who enjoys string things up for the attention and nothing more.

I must agree with Hope on this.  I have an 11 year old granddaughter who was diagnosed with Autism at age 4.  And altho she does miss social cues I have never know her to be out right mean.  That comment was childish and mean and throwing Autism out as a excuse shows even more immaturity on your part Babyangel. 

I'm curious why it was necessary to start a whole new thread in the off-topic section and label it as if Babyangel had started a new thread...I made a silly comment. I have seen many negative comments posted by members over the last few years. I have never seen this done before. Babyangel did apologize on the original thread. Whether or not it was a valid apology is a matter of personal opinion. I believe she felt remorse. Professor Ashton is an amazing lady and I have deep respect for what she has done. I don't condone the comments, by any means of what was said by BA, however my compassionate nature leads me to believe it would be wrong to drag this thread out much further. It serves no further purpose IMO, but potentially jeopardizes the fragile state of mind of some readers here at BB.

Snoball

I'm curious why it was necessary to start a whole new thread in the off-topic section and label it as if Babyangel had started a new thread...I made a silly comment. I have seen many negative comments posted by members over the last few years. I have never seen this done before. Babyangel did apologize on the original thread. Whether or not it was a valid apology is a matter of personal opinion. I believe she felt remorse. Professor Ashton is an amazing lady and I have deep respect for what she has done. I don't condone the comments, by any means of what was said by BA, however my compassionate nature leads me to believe it would be wrong to drag this thread out much further. It serves no further purpose IMO, but potentially jeopardizes the fragile state of mind of some readers here at BB.

Snoball

Snoball,

The post was split and moved here to because the topic of the original thread was disrupted.  The Aston Cut Support board was not the appropriate place for these comments because members who are trying to receive support were not able to.  It is part of our policy to make certain that the threads stay on topic and will make adjustments if it proves necessary. It was necessary in this case.

pianogirl

Snoball

Snoball,

The post was split and moved here to because the topic of the original thread was disrupted.  The Aston Cut Support board was not the appropriate place for these comments because members who are trying to receive support were not able to.  It is part of our policy to make certain that the threads stay on topic and will make adjustments if it proves necessary. It was necessary in this case.

pianogirl

I was not aware that this originally started as part of another thread. I was under the (obviously incorrect) impression that babyangel started this thread in this section.

Having said that, I have to say that I am seriously disappointed in the admins for doing what they did. Normally I support the actions that they take, but not this time. It's one thing to create a thread, and make it look like babyangel started it, but it's a whole different ballgame to actually leave the thread open for continued conversation. Had the conversation remained in the original thread I'm sure it probably would have worn itself out by now, but doing it this way has only highlighted the issue and babyangel. I am also really upset at the "underhanded" way this was done - making it look like she started this thread. I'm sure I wouldn't be too happy if a comment I made on a thread was suddenly highlighted by being moved to a thread of its own, without my knowledge.

I still think babyangel is wrong for what she did, and I am seriously disappointed that it appears she still hasn't deleted her comment, but I also think that this situation should have been handled a whole lot differently, and better, without a member of BB being targetted for continued criticism and comment. Whether babyangel is autistic or not, she deserves more respect than that. I think it would serve everyone better if this thread was now closed - maybe even deleted, because I honestly don't see the point to any of this.

I was not aware that this originally started as part of another thread. I was under the (obviously incorrect) impression that babyangel started this thread in this section.

Having said that, I have to say that I am seriously disappointed in the admins for doing what they did. Normally I support the actions that they take, but not this time. It's one thing to create a thread, and make it look like babyangel started it, but it's a whole different ballgame to actually leave the thread open for continued conversation. Had the conversation remained in the original thread I'm sure it probably would have worn itself out by now, but doing it this way has only highlighted the issue and babyangel. I am also really upset at the "underhanded" way this was done - making it look like she started this thread. I'm sure I wouldn't be too happy if a comment I made on a thread was suddenly highlighted by being moved to a thread of its own, without my knowledge.

I still think babyangel is wrong for what she did, and I am seriously disappointed that it appears she still hasn't deleted her comment, but I also think that this situation should have been handled a whole lot differently, and better, without a member of BB being targetted for continued criticism and comment. Whether babyangel is autistic or not, she deserves more respect than that. I think it would serve everyone better if this thread was now closed - maybe even deleted, because I honestly don't see the point to any of this.

Back up a moment there, DP.  It's perfectly normal to preserve the integrity of an important thread by splitting off-topic posts if a whole new discussion has arisen in the host thread.  There's nothing underhanded about it and whether or not the posts are left in the host thread, thereby derailing it, or moved to their own thread is irrelevant to the issue at hand. 

The posts still exist on the forum.  Better that they're away from the host topic to preserve it, and the only way to do that is to split them off into their own thread.  Deleting a whole 2-page conversation that several members and team members had been involved in wasn't an option. 

What's really not helpful is you spiinning this into something malignant when it's not.  Derailing this thread isn't any better than the other thread being derailed.

I also find it perculiar that in the same post you criticse babyangel, you complain that she's being criticised.

B :)

Snoball

Snoball,

pianogirl

Diazpam, I was wondering if I was the only one who felt this way. Excellent post. ;)

I'm not going to go into whether babyangel deserves a diagnosis or not.. sooooo not my place.

Also... probably sooo not interested.

Sure she deserves to have her behaviour called out. I just find it hard to be outraged by someone like her. That could just be me. I'm probably abnormal  ;)

I will add though that I agree with snoball and DP on this one.

I understand the need to preserve a thread but it did very much look like Babyangel had started this thread which does have its own connotations. Perhaps the future policy when slicing off an off-topic bit and beginning a new thread is indicating that in the title e.g use the first part of thread "I made a silly comment" then *moved from existing thread*

Back up a moment there, DP.  It's perfectly normal to preserve the integrity of an important thread by splitting off-topic posts if a whole new discussion has arisen in the host thread.  There's nothing underhanded about it and whether or not the posts are left in the host thread, thereby derailing it, or moved to their own thread is irrelevant to the issue at hand. 

The posts still exist on the forum.  Better that they're away from the host topic to preserve it, and the only way to do that is to split them off into their own thread.  Deleting a whole 2-page conversation that several members and team members had been involved in wasn't an option. 

What's really not helpful is you spiinning this into something malignant when it's not.  Derailing this thread isn't any better than the other thread being derailed.

I also find it perculiar that in the same post you criticse babyangel, you complain that she's being criticised.

I criticised BA before I knew the whole story. I am still critical of what she's done, but I'm also critical of the way this situation has been handled. In all the time I've been on BB I have never seen this same situation happen. At the very least, an admin comment should have been made as the opening post, and not make it look like BA started this whole thread

Call it what you like, and I'll call it what I like.

I criticised BA before I knew the whole story.

Which is a rationalisation for your behaviour.  The same thing a certain other member has been doing that you criticised her for.

The issue isn't how such comments came about, but that they came about, and not for the first time. 

In all the time I've been on BB I have never seen this same situation happen. Call it what you like, and I'll call it what I like.

Sure, you can throw around some serious accusations that I intentionally split-off posts in an "underhanded way" as if I had some sort of malignant agenda beforehand, and then derail this topic and complain about the other team members that didn't do it, but that reflects on your character not mine. 

You're right that you can call it what you like, but that doens't make you right, nor does it elevate you to the moral high-ground, DP, least of all when you're having several harsh digs at babyangel throughout the thread.

:)

I can criticise whomever I like, and I can also criticise both sides of this issue if I want to, because there is definitely fault on both sides.

I was not aware you were the one responsible for the way this thread was handled, but that doesn't mean that I have changed my mind. This situation was handled very badly IMO, and there are others who agree with me.

I can't be bothered with your dissection of my post, or your justification for how you handled things.  All I ask is that consideration is given to closing this thread to further discussion, or even deleting it, because enough damage has already been done.

I think BabyAngel was just looking for a little attention and it looks like she's getting plenty of it.  Sometimes things like this are best ignored.

...and why not label a thread that's been broken from another in the same way posts are labeled MOVED?  I don't think it's unethical to move them, but they should be labeled as such.

I can criticise whomever I like, and I can also criticise both sides of this issue if I want to, because there is definitely fault on both sides.

Yes, well, using your methodology, that door swings both ways.  The criticised have a right to respond, in that case.

I was not aware you were the one responsible for the way this thread was handled, but that doesn't mean that I have changed my mind. This situation was handled very badly IMO, and there are others who agree with me.

Whether it was me who split the posts should have no bearing on your mind.  Others agreeing with you won't sway mine.

I can't be bothered with your dissection of my post, or your justification for how you handled things.  All I ask is that consideration is given to closing this thread to further discussion. Enough damage has already been done.

Well, I personally see no reason to close it all the time you're attacking people in it.  If, as you claim, you have a right to criticise people, then it stands-to-reason those same people have the right to respond to those critques.

Oh good grief. I have nothing to add........

I'm glad about that as it means I can stop answering your critques. 

:thumbsup:

May I ask who named the subject of this thread "I made a silly comment"?

I did, Hope, as a contraction from the first line of the OP:

I recently made a silly comment on youtube of Heather Ashton giving a speech around 2005 2006 as most of you know shes like 80 years old

i said " how many mg of benzos would it take for Heather Ashton to look good to you"  :laugh::2funny:

Fellas, can you please lay-off the pictures, they're not contributing to the thread.

Thank-you.

Fellas, can you please lay-off the pictures, they're not contributing to the thread.

Thank-you.

Well, Ya know the Ole sang...A picture's worth a thousand words. :laugh:

We have split and moved posts before when the subject has veered from the original topic, that is nothing new.  Benzoid simply took the opening sentence of the post as the title of this thread.  Whether you agree with this or not, it was the right thing to do. All or most of you have been involved in threads where the topic has degraded so much that people in need could not get the support they are looking for. That was the simply reason for the move. 

This has gone on long enough now.  I think our time here can be spent better helping members who are new, who are in pain or who need a kind word. 

pianogirl

This has gone on long enough now.  I think our time here can be spent better helping members who are new, who are in pain or who need a kind word. 

Respectfully, I couldn't agree more. ;)

14008236569_8f5edb1285_o.jpg

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I bet my bottom dollar Heather Ashton could give 2 shits what one person thinks of her age. Sticks and Stones and all.