Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Having withdrawal symptoms at night after completely reinstating.

[Da...]

I don't know where else to put this. Ever since I reinstated last month i get withdrawal like symptoms especially at night. I don't want to updose. Anyone else have similar experience and did it get better if so how long?

It's not promised that the withdrawal symptoms will end when you reinstate. Some are more successful than others, but all reinstating has ever done for me is kindle. I will say though that it appears to be pretty normal to have certain parts of the day that are worse than others when it comes to withdrawal symptoms. I have a much harder time with symptoms at night.

I don't know where else to put this. Ever since I reinstated last month i get withdrawal like symptoms especially at night. I don't want to updose. Anyone else have similar experience and did it get better if so how long?

I didn't reinstate, but I did do a rescue dose that was twice what I was tapering from. Didn't work. I was really surprised.

It's not promised that the withdrawal symptoms will end when you reinstate. Some are more successful than others, but all reinstating has ever done for me is kindle. I will say though that it appears to be pretty normal to have certain parts of the day that are worse than others when it comes to withdrawal symptoms. I have a much harder time with symptoms at night.

did the withdrawal symptoms get better over time after reinstating?

I'm surprised that double your previous dose didn't help. I'd recommend getting a physical....it is possible that there is an underlying illness. Also examine your other meds as they may be affecting you. Getting good sleep will make a difference. Personally I use trazadone, gabapentin and melatonin for sleep. I also take a multivitamin with good B12 and an extra magnesium dose. Hope you find the answers you need.

Split your dose twice a day if you’re only taking it daily, may be interdose withdrawal.

Daniel,

I experienced similarly.  Despite reinstating at over twice my original dose and multiple times a day dosing, I experienced nocturnal (2-3:30 am) electrocutions, pain and akathisia and then again upon waking and cycled throughout the day.  These nocturnal blasts increased in intensity with my monthly cycle, too, and followed me down my entire final taper.

For me, reinstating for a slow, daily microtaper did not remove the pain of daily withdrawal.  I had my liver enzymes tested and discovered my issues with phase II klonopin elimination. (ultra slow NAT2 elimination)

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/308215248_Optimization_of_Clonazepam_Therapy_Adjusted_to_Patient's_CYP3A_Status_and_NAT2_Genotype

I subsequently used Xanax and valium to successfully taper off.  Might be worth exploring.......

I'm surprised that double your previous dose didn't help. I'd recommend getting a physical....it is possible that there is an underlying illness. Also examine your other meds as they may be affecting you. Getting good sleep will make a difference. Personally I use trazadone, gabapentin and melatonin for sleep. I also take a multivitamin with good B12 and an extra magnesium dose. Hope you find the answers you need.

I'm not the OP...

Daniel,

I experienced similarly.  Despite reinstating at over twice my original dose and multiple times a day dosing, I experienced nocturnal (2-3:30 am) electrocutions, pain and akathisia and then again upon waking and cycled throughout the day.  These nocturnal blasts increased in intensity with my monthly cycle, too, and followed me down my entire final taper.

For me, reinstating for a slow, daily microtaper did not remove the pain of daily withdrawal.  I had my liver enzymes tested and discovered my issues with phase II klonopin elimination. (ultra slow NAT2 elimination)

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/308215248_Optimization_of_Clonazepam_Therapy_Adjusted_to_Patient's_CYP3A_Status_and_NAT2_Genotype

I subsequently used Xanax and valium to successfully taper off.  Might be worth exploring.......

Interesting study, but their conclusion is false, unfortunately. They say that the genetic isoenzyme testing can help predict adverse events and optimize doses; however, clinical effect and adverse effects were not correlated to serum concentrations in this study, or any other that I know of. This goes for a lot of psych drugs, which is why pharmacogenetics has never really taken off despite initial excitement.  For your metabolizer status of being a slow metabolized, for example, you’d actually expect increased clinical effect, I.e. be able to go a longer dosing interval without having withdrawals. Depending on how active the intermediate metabolite is which I don’t know is known or not.

I was on clonazepam for 10 years and besides deadening of senses, emotions, and mental acuity, which I didn’t even realize at the time, I did not have problems until I had an emergency out of state and went 3-4 days without taking it. I resumed same dose after that and started noticing weird shit that I didn’t connect until later. No idea why, but seems sometimes when you start the ball rolling there’s no going back.

Interesting study, but their conclusion is false, unfortunately. They say that the genetic isoenzyme testing can help predict adverse events and optimize doses; however, clinical effect and adverse effects were not correlated to serum concentrations in this study, or any other that I know of. This goes for a lot of psych drugs, which is why pharmacogenetics has never really taken off despite initial excitement.  For your metabolizer status of being a slow metabolized, for example, you’d actually expect increased clinical effect, I.e. be able to go a longer dosing interval without having withdrawals. Depending on how active the intermediate metabolite is which I don’t know is known or not.

I'm assuming you are talking about services like GeneSight? I did that. Found zero correlation to what meds they suggest would work better.

I think i am having interdose withdrawals at night. Hot feeling + palpitations and lots of anxiety and panic. Not sure what's going on cause it's getting worse. Do interdose withdrawals get better?

Daniel,

Since you reinstated last month, you may find more helpful posts elsewhere on the forum.  I’m not sure where people post after they reinstate if they aren’t tapering.  Maybe if you type reinstate in the search engine you can find people going through what you are experiencing.  Addictionfairy came back to the forum yesterday.  She reinstated.  You may want to PM her.

Good luck!

Sofa

it sounds to me like you are having a paradoxical reaction to it - put paradoxical in the search box and you will find a lot of posts - that is what i had and in the end had to cold turkey off because each time i took a dose i'd end up having a panic attack - not preventing one..... no way i was going to taper off with that kind of reaction and prolong the misery ..... i cold turkeyed off really high doses - survived and  healed - i really a CT is never recommended but you will find most people - if the meds go paradoxical - do opt for that path...

Daniel,

Hi Ican,

Believe they looked at the heightened increase serum concentrations of clonazepam and slow NAT2 and neurotoxicity, not increased clinical effect.  I'll try and paste the original study; you may find it interesting.  Reinstating caused akathisia which initially was confused with interdose.  Ultimately, no one  truly could understand the widespread systemic interference. 

it sounds to me like you are having a paradoxical reaction to it - put paradoxical in the search box and you will find a lot of posts - that is what i had and in the end had to cold turkey off because each time i took a dose i'd end up having a panic attack - not preventing one..... no way i was going to taper off with that kind of reaction and prolong the misery ..... i cold turkeyed off really high doses - survived and  healed - i really a CT is never recommended but you will find most people - if the meds go paradoxical - do opt for that path...

It's not paradoxical. I can feel the anxiety and drowsiness start to kick in after I take it.