Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Benzos and Fibromyalgia

[po...]

I've been tapering off for a bit over a week. I ended up in the ER yesterday due to some strange pains in my leg. My Dr wanted to rule out blood clots. I feel like my entire body is sore. I believe the tapering has caused my fibro to flare up. Maybe a full body massage will help? Also, can the tapering raise blood pressure? I've never been diagnosed with high blood pressure, but it's been creeping up at times. Yesterday in the ER it was all over the map-from 132/101 when I came in to 124/80 then back to 129/99. The headaches I was waking up with have subsided, but the BP is a concern for me. I have a Dr's appointment on Monday. I hoping she doesn't try to add any meds!

Hi Dee, since benzo's can lower blood pressure, I don't see why withdrawing from them couldn't raise it.  I know after my cold turkey I had to take Clonodine to lower mine, but as I healed it returned to normal.  The leg issues you were having sure sound like withdrawals to me, I doubt your Dr find will find any evidence of blood clots.  Yes, no more meds, please!

How long have you had Fibromyalgia?  I know many of our members have been diagnosed with this only to learn it they were actually in tolerance to benzo's and once free from them their Fibromyalgia disappeared.  I'm not saying this is true in your case, just wanted to throw that out there.

Keep us posted on what your Dr says, okay?  :smitten:

• 2 weeks later...

The Fibro diagnosis was after I got on teh Benzo's so I'm curious about this. Prior to being on these meds I was a runner (20miles a week) and a dancer. I NEVER had body aches or anything. I dont take any meds for this so I'll be keeping an eye on these symptoms as I taper.

Dr put me on 5mg of Norvasc for the BP. I  have to see her again in 6wks. I've started teh DASH diet to lower my sodium and my sugar intake. I probably need to do that any way since I have a family history of high BP.

In my particular case, I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia about 12 years ago and after researching it found where some doc's relate it to a "Post Traumatic" type syndrome where your adrenals get taxed and compromised.  Being single and raising 5 kids all on my own with my heart broken a couple times in between is what I think brought on my symptoms.

What I can tell you is this...tapering off the benzo's definately has an affect on my legs.  I too was a runner into my late 40's, fast-walked 7 miles, 6 days a week into my 50's, and lifted weights.  Then the fibro and chronic fatigue set it.  I also have hernieated disc issues in my lower back.  All that said, the symptomts I feel in my legs are mainly just above the knee, in the large muscle.  It aches but also I feel like knives are slicing my skin.  Sometimes when bending down on my knees I get excrutiating pain......I think it's due to tapering but only guessing. 

Maybe this will help.

I'm glad you're being open minded about your fibro diagnosis, wouldn't it be great if you were free from that when you're free from benzo's and healed?  You new diet sounds like a good one, we all eat too much sugar and salt.  Sugar can ramp up symptoms so you're smart to do this.

My blood pressure was high when I first quit cold turkey, never had that problem before.  It would be great if your diet took care of that too!  Anytime we can do with diet and exercise what pills can do we're so much better off.

Thanks for checking in, I'd love to hear that one day you'll be able to run and dance again.

Hi Dee:)

I have had muscles aches, and sinus issues~coughing and clogged throat feeling since being on benzo's..I had high blood pressure too when I tried to quit C/T..but its normal now. I wouldnt be surprised what mind games this drug can do to people. I am hoping all these symtoms will fade away once I am off..and hopefully I get my memory and cognitive functioning back as well!  :D

If you do a search here on your symptoms you will find much more info.

Best wishes to you and hope you get to feeling better:)

XXXXX :smitten:

Hi Dee,

I am one of those currently tapering off of klonopin who is HOPING that my "fibromyalgia" pain may actually be due to tolerance withdrawal.  I started on klonopin 17 years ago, a relatively "low" dose...and have been in pain for about 15 of those years.  Doing some research made me wonder if POSSIBLY this pain isn't fibro after all.  So I started tapering, and am hopefully going to be "benzo free" in 23 days.  I know it may take longer than that to discover if the pain goes away, but I am willing to give it a shot. 

To Peace...I have that exact same pain, I think, that you do...I haven't exactly been able to pinpoint it as above my knees but it is somewhere around there.  I am an interior painter, and it has become almost impossible for me to squat because of the pain.  I have had to become very creative at painting down low!  I am hoping it isn't just my age (56) but don't think it is. 

Besides my legs, my pain is also very strong in my neck and shoulders.  And I get "headaches"...sometimes headaches in my jaw...if that makes sense.  Pam has been very encouraging to me about getting off the klonopin, and seeing if at least some of my pain doesn't eventually go away!  I hope this happens for both of you!

~Leena

Hi Dee,

I am one of those currently tapering off of klonopin who is HOPING that my "fibromyalgia" pain may actually be due to tolerance withdrawal.  I started on klonopin 17 years ago, a relatively "low" dose...and have been in pain for about 15 of those years.  Doing some research made me wonder if POSSIBLY this pain isn't fibro after all.  So I started tapering, and am hopefully going to be "benzo free" in 23 days.  I know it may take longer than that to discover if the pain goes away, but I am willing to give it a shot. 

To Peace...I have that exact same pain, I think, that you do...I haven't exactly been able to pinpoint it as above my knees but it is somewhere around there.  I am an interior painter, and it has become almost impossible for me to squat because of the pain.  I have had to become very creative at painting down low!  I am hoping it isn't just my age (56) but don't think it is. 

Besides my legs, my pain is also very strong in my neck and shoulders.  And I get "headaches"...sometimes headaches in my jaw...if that makes sense.  Pam has been very encouraging to me about getting off the klonopin, and seeing if at least some of my pain doesn't eventually go away!  I hope this happens for both of you!

~Leena

Hey Leena, some folks call this clothespin shoulders to describe it.  The jaw pain could be the grinding and clenching we do if we're in tolerance and when withdrawing.  I've got an answer for everything, huh?  :D

Hi Dee,

~Leena

Hey Leena, some folks call this clothespin shoulders to describe it.  The jaw pain could be the grinding and clenching we do if we're in tolerance and when withdrawing.  I've got an answer for everything, huh?  :D

When you've traveled the road to hell and back you know all the pit falls.  :laugh:  Thank goodness for the 'back' part. Huh?

Hi Dee,

~Leena

When you've traveled the road to hell and back you know all the pit falls.  :laugh:  Thank goodness for the 'back' part. Huh?

You said it Sister!  :thumbsup::yippee:

Just picked up on this thread and posting to say that I had really high BP in the early part of my w/d.  It has settled a little but fluctuates.  Seems to be quite normal in w/d. 

Also have had the pain across the shoulders.  We have some huge muscles across this part of our body (to hold our head up) and this is where a lot of our tension rests.  I also notice that if I drop my shoulders I get some relief - same with the jaw.  I seem to be clenching it all the time.  When I'm aware of it I try to relax it.  It's amazing how much you can feel the tension disappear.  Don't know if your pain is related to tension but it is possible.  I've also noticed that occasionally my gums bleed for no reason at all.  No issues with gum health, so just assume its just another s/x. :D

Thank goodness for the 'back' part. Huh?

Amen to that Pam!

One thing that really helps a lot when tapering and feeling tense, it also helps the firbo too.

I use a body massager...the hand-held kind that has a long handle.  It helps tremendously to relax the tense muscles and also helps with sleep.  I use it on my upper arms, shoulders, lower back, legs, and neck....You feel like you just left a massage table.  It takes some getting used to since it stimulates the blood and it causes itching.  I use a long handled back scratcher and that too helps with relaxation.  :thumbsup: