Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Anyone reinstate at 9 months out?

[Co...]

My doctor is hell bent on reinstating me and has been since the 6 month mark. Wants to give me a low dose of librium.

Don't do it! I reinstated (due to physician pressure) at about 12 months out and even just taking them for 3 weeks, I am now right back to practically square one. It's terrible. PUSH THROUGH and don't reinstate!

You guys, this has been a real test lately. I don't think I've felt this bad since my jump over 8 months ago! Why do my waves keep getting longer and worse? I supposed to go on vacation in mid June and I'm scared to get on the plane let alone be gone for a week!

Yeah,

Don't reinstate, please. You're already out 9 months on this, and I'll bet that's been no fun.

If you were to reinstate, your receptors may not "accept" the benzo as well, or in the same way, but they will still expect it.

So you will be left having to taper off anyway. You already up dosed to 4 mg w/o it working for you so that shows what I'm talking  about with those receptors not reacting the same way as before.

You're in that healing process still, and it's waves and windows. Your windows will come.

Try to stick it out.

So many people who reinstate do not have the same experience with the drug as they did pre-taper, and then find that they have to start tapering all over again from the beginning. They also seem to have a rougher time of going off the drug during the second taper. I hope you can find a way not to reinstate.

I'm not going to reinstate, I was just having a moment of severe weakness. Thanks for all the support guys and you are all right that I don't think it would take. I'd be all screwed up and have to taper again, especially when "Intend to be off" reminded me I up dosed to 4 mg and it didn't work. Thanks for being there for me buddies  :thumbsup:

Vacation was the best thing I did. I was terrified of going at only about 3 weeks off benzos. But it was exactly what I needed and helped me in ways I cant explain. Do not reinstate. You will regret it when you have to start this horrible process all over again. Its bad enough going through it once. Good luck

what are you saying to your doctor that he wants you to reinstate so badly?

i was at my absolute worst at the 9 month mark and it got better at 10 months out. but honestly, i couldn't believe i woke up one morning in the beginning of my 9th month and i felt so much worse, it really scared me. so i understand how you're feeling.

I told him I am still in withdrawal and he got upset with me because I agreed to reinstate if I wasn't better in 6 months. He said if it lasted longer than 6 months I was considered protracted and I should go back on and taper slowly. He's a moron but also a great help at the time. He's the one that gave me Depakote so I wouldn't have a seizure. I went back to him to try to see if he could cross me over to something less toxic than Depakote. He said Gabapentin was less toxic but has a withdrawal similar to benzos. He didn't seem to worried about my liver when I told him and said to continue tapering the Depakote.

yes he sounds like a moron, sorry. but glad that he was good for you at the time. :)

you know Cool, there is a lady named Una Corbett in the UK who runs BAT program. i think it's called "Battle Against Tranquillers" who actually doesn't consider one "protracted" until they have hit the 5 year mark and/or over.

when i tell people this they get scared but they shouldn't. they're not reading it right. it just means that we shouldn't consider ourselves protracted just because we hit the 18 month mark and that we're still healing from this. that is what she thinks anyway whether ot not it's the truth. but she has worked with thousands of people. i would like to talk to her but i still can't get up that early to call the UK.

i had heard this info from another protracted person on here who has been in touch with Una. anyway, it just goes to show how little all the doctor's know about this syndrome.

i hope you keep an eye out on both your liver and gallbladder while taking the Depakote.

I tend to think we can get protracted from anything that affects the brain. I think it just happens easier with benzos. I know people that have been sick over 2 years that came off paxil alone! I also know some people that have been sick over 2 years from painkillers. I think it just depends on the person. I think benzos have a worse withdrawal and are more addictive. I was able to kick benzos 5 different times through out my life with no problem. One time I was sick for 2 months. This time did it though. Maybe once you get hit hard like this from benzos I would have to agree that 5 years sounds about right. 2 years at the minimum.

i know, i've done about 12 cold turkey's from benzo's in my whole life and i've never been like this. the cold turkey's would sometimes leave me bed ridden but only for about one month and that was it. i could swear they're making benzo's stronger and/or differently. i just can't believe i am mostly still bed ridden after 21 months!

i use to be able to bounce back a lot faster from this. this is the last one for sure. i will never ever take another benzo as long as i live. :sick:

I know what you mean! I can't believe it either. Four times I went ct and was fine but I didn't take them very long. When I was a teenager I took Prozac and Xanax for 6 months and quit ct and passed out. I woke up in the ER with a big shiner. I did a dry taper over 6 weeks of both drugs and was fine. After that over the years I did 4 ct of different benzos, a ct off Ambien, and several ct off Soma and was fine. I felt it a little with the last 2 ct off Soma but only for about 5 days. Alcohol for about 15 years and no withdrawal. Valium for a month and had a 2 month withdrawal mostly just confusion. I decided never to take them again and had no idea Ambien was one, I never would have taken it otherwise. Now here I am, worst time of my life. At least we had some freebies, right!

i know, i've done about 12 cold turkey's from benzo's in my whole life and i've never been like this. the cold turkey's would sometimes leave me bed ridden but only for about one month and that was it. i could swear they're making benzo's stronger and/or differently. i just can't believe i am mostly still bed ridden after 21 months!

i use to be able to bounce back a lot faster from this. this is the last one for sure. i will never ever take another benzo as long as i live. :sick:

Hey pretty, I told my husband the same thing. I said they are making the benzos stronger or differently. I was not this ill in xanax w/d . I took them for 13 yrs. Now I take 50 ativan in 3 yrs. and I'm a lot sicker. I don't know.

I think reinstating that far out is nothing more than a crap shoot. The optimum window according to the Ashton Manual is two weeks. In my opinion you would risk an almost immediate tolerance and perhaps a long painful withdrawal. But in the end it is a personal choice only you can make.

Hey pretty, I told my husband the same thing. I said they are making the benzos stronger or differently. I was not this ill in xanax w/d . I took them for 13 yrs. Now I take 50 ativan in 3 yrs. and I'm a lot sicker. I don't know.

i don't know? something seems different about these benzo's. and if it's possibly true that they are making them stronger or different, then i would say all of us are very lucky to be alive -- very lucky! and away from this whole benzo deal.

Cool, when i did the cold turkey, i had also been on a lot of soma. soma has always kinda played a part in my prescription med history unfortunately. so glad to be off all this shit! :D

Pretty,

Lol! I'm glad to be off all of it too. Soma was also a big part for me due to back pain and just loving the stuff! Glad I got out of that one ok.

Most days reinstating crosses my mind. 6 months out horrendous pain. The only thing that has saved me is reading others experiences here. Thank you so much.