Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Valium/Diazepam Support Group

[Di...]

I'm also getting ready to go to a part pill and liquid taper.  I have been advised of many ways and amounts to liquify the pill and must say I am still confused.  I take 6.25mg. in morning and 7.5 mg at night.  I was going to get rid of the morning dose first or at least get it down to 5 mg. and then work on the night dose.  SG advised to even out the doses by liquifiying one 5 mg. pill, since this is all I have. and going from there.  I'm so scared to try as I get hit hard and never really feel well just slightly less awful.  This last 1/8 pill cut didn't seem to affect me but its only been 6 days so I'm still waiting.  I also had a serious gut infection from clindamycin and developed CDiff.  The anxiety of that hospital stay and the aftermath was why they put me on Ativan in the hospital and told me to keep taking it, I needed it blah blah you know the rest.  I now look back and most of my gut issues and nausea was probably i/d w/d symptoms and not the CDiff. Too late to worry about that but now I had been on the ativan for 4 yrs. and had to switch over, couldn't taper from it.  I will figure it out.  I am going to use whole milk and go from there.  I would rather liquify 1/2 of the 5 mg. pill. Can someone advise me on this?  2.5 mg. to what ratio of whole milk and what to cut each day.  I want to go very conservative as I don't feel well now.  Sorry to keep asking this, you must all think I'm brain damaged and maybe I am but I am overwhelmed with worry about doing this switch.  Thanks and good luck to all of us fighting hard.

Hi Freeme!

The place I've found the best advice on daily breakdowns is on the Example of a Val/Diaz Daily Taper Method set up by Diaz-Pam. All the math whizzes seem to hang out over here >>>> http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=97511.0

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if your particular equation has already been addressed over there. Now, if you can get the scored 2mg pills from your doc, I can set you up in a jiffy as that's what I use with milk for a daily reduction.

Good luck,

Edzo

Thanks for the info Edzo,  I hesitate to ask my Doc to change scripts.  I wanted to stick with the 5 mg. because if he decides he no longer wants to write them I at least will have extra and not worry so much.  I might tell him I am holding right now and see what he says.  I hate to lie but I'm terrified of being pulled off the drugs, things are getting so nutty out there with all controlled substances and he prescribes 2 for me, one is the diazapam and the other the soma a muscle relaxer.  I go to pain management for the pain med and that is the last one I will taper I think.  I never was told the 2 drugs were addictive and were all given for spinal issues.  My old Dr. retired and he prescribed all three but my Primary will not do the pain med, had to go to pain management Dr. for that.  Anyway,  I have to work with 5 mg. pills until I get really low and then I will tell him and get the 2 mg.  Thanks again. 

Edzo yes I did upper endoscopy and biopsy and colonoscopy

Twice in the last 6 years

All clear

But an infectious disease doc took a look and said he thought I had something viral or something bc many white blood cells showed.

Anyway I don't think you could handle that without being sedated...

A ct scan can check for any other findings

But it sounds like dysbiosis from cipro. Cipro is truly the worst

I will never go on it as long as I live.

Thanks for the info Edzo,  I hesitate to ask my Doc to change scripts.  I wanted to stick with the 5 mg. because if he decides he no longer wants to write them I at least will have extra and not worry so much.  I might tell him I am holding right now and see what he says.  I hate to lie but I'm terrified of being pulled off the drugs, things are getting so nutty out there with all controlled substances and he prescribes 2 for me, one is the diazapam and the other the soma a muscle relaxer.  I go to pain management for the pain med and that is the last one I will taper I think.  I never was told the 2 drugs were addictive and were all given for spinal issues.  My old Dr. retired and he prescribed all three but my Primary will not do the pain med, had to go to pain management Dr. for that.  Anyway,  I have to work with 5 mg. pills until I get really low and then I will tell him and get the 2 mg.  Thanks again.

Perhaps get a jewelers scale that measures to .001, weigh the 5mg pill (should be heavier than 5mg due to fillers or binders), divide by 5 and file off that much into the bowl of the jewelers scale. Dump the amount in the milk and then you'll have a 1mg portion of pill to go with your 99ml of milk. Pretty straightforward from there.

Edit: I assume that you wouldn't get your full 5mg if you used a filing technique due to some of the pill getting lodged in the grooves of the file.  So what I would instead suggest is that you use a razor blade to finely chop the pill (sounds so Scarface, right?) and just use a set of tweezers to transfer from the pile of powder to the scale until you hit your 1/5 of the total pill weight mark. PITA, but no one said this would be easy, right?

Thanks for caring, will probably do the liquid with milk mt though.  I'll just do it SG way, which was dissolve the pill in 50 mg. of milk and draw out so much each day.  I'm going to dry cut for awhile more though and see how it goes.  I think this last cut ramped up the tongue burning, which is driving me crazy now but I'm just hanging in there and praying.  Hope you are doing well.

Perhaps get a jewelers scale that measures to .001, weigh the 5mg pill (should be heavier than 5mg due to fillers or binders), divide by 5 and file off that much into the bowl of the jewelers scale. Dump the amount in the milk and then you'll have a 1mg portion of pill to go with your 99ml of milk. Pretty straightforward from there.

Edit: I assume that you wouldn't get your full 5mg if you used a filing technique due to some of the pill getting lodged in the grooves of the file.  So what I would instead suggest is that you use a razor blade to finely chop the pill (sounds so Scarface, right?) and just use a set of tweezers to transfer from the pile of powder to the scale until you hit your 1/5 of the total pill weight mark. PITA, but no one said this would be easy, right?

Just FYI, if you do a liquid taper (milk, vodka, PG, etc.) you don't need to weigh or file anything.  You just dissolve the tablet in the liquid, and take a appropriate amount of liquid.

To any one interested in micro tapering .... Builder has been a huge help to me!  Thanks again Builder :thumbsup:

Phoebe

Yes, I am going to liquid MT.  Was trying to get down some more on my dose but I might just take the leap and try it now since I am probably as good as I'm going to feel.  I just made a .675 mg. cut last wed. so I'm holding right now.  My tongue burning symptom ramped up really bad so I'm hoping that settles down to just terrible instead of horrible like it is now.  I think the liquid might be easier on me, this cut and hold has been very hard.  I'm just so afraid of making a mistake.  The numbers and syringes etc. scare me but I will jsut jump in and try.  I so appreciate all the help everyone gives and hate to keep asking as I must look like I'm completely stupid but I think the mg. vs. ml etc gets me going.  Thanks everyone.

To any one interested in micro tapering .... Builder has been a huge help to me!  Thanks again Builder :thumbsup:

Phoebe

:) :)

...glad to help!

Just FYI, if you do a liquid taper (milk, vodka, PG, etc.) you don't need to weigh or file anything.  You just dissolve the tablet in the liquid, and take a appropriate amount of liquid.

Builder,

I'm completely with you on liq taper and that is my current method. Just throwing out the shaving technique in conjunction with the liq taper because I don't know how the math works out with pills other than the 1mg (scored 2mg, actually) variety.

--Edzo

Success Story:

Hello  everybody,

I want to share my success story, with you all.  I din't jump yet, I'm holding at 0.4m Valium, my doctor said that is not a therapeutic dose, It's a placebo,  I still getting valium just to have an umbrella,  but sometimes I forgot to take it.

It's been a while that I felt very well, but I had waves and windows,  now It's been a month that I haven't had any wave,  in my signature I wrote :  "I hope my life will be back as before!!"  when I wrote that I was 100% sure that It wont be the same ever, I was so negative,  It was just a wish,  but  after 2 years in hell,  here I'm  110 % cure,  I said 110% because I feel better than before,  I'm not crazy or happy,  I'm normal now,  no sx,  no anxiety,  but  I keep my schedule tight, I follow  my rules everyday,  I know now that this condition will be with me the rest of my life,  I accept it  and  I  do all of the tricks and methods to  have a normal life.

Physical and mental factors are part of this condition, I learned to manage well both,  I have to thanks many people,  first Moodle, my Benzo buddies, my sister,  my daughter.    I just got a terrible test to my current  health.  My loving dog was hit by a car and died,

my daughter is in a really bad condition,  She is very depress, crying, very sad,  she got a terrible reaction,  she thinks is my fault.

I handled this crisis very well, of course I cried and I'm very sad,  but I didn't have a nervous breakdown, anxiety or chest pain, or a panic attack, like I used to have.  I got a tinnitus and headache  and lot of crying. 

well I wanted to share this success story,  I'm aware that a wave can come anytime, but I got lot of tools to fight it back.

I wish you all  the best recovery.    NEVER EVER GIVE UP!!! 

I love all of you!

Manny

:smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :D :D

Success Story:

Hello  everybody,

I want to share my success story, with you all.  I din't jump yet, I'm holding at 0.4m Valium, my doctor said that is not a therapeutic dose, It's a placebo,  I still getting valium just to have an umbrella,  but sometimes I forgot to take it.

It's been a while that I felt very well, but I had waves and windows,  now It's been a month that I haven't had any wave,  in my signature I wrote :  "I hope my life will be back as before!!"  when I wrote that I was 100% sure that It wont be the same ever, I was so negative,  It was just a wish,  but  after 2 years in hell,  here I'm  110 % cure,  I said 110% because I feel better than before,  I'm not crazy or happy,  I'm normal now,  no sx,  no anxiety,  but  I keep my schedule tight, I follow  my rules everyday,  I know now that this condition will be with me the rest of my life,  I accept it  and  I  do all of the tricks and methods to  have a normal life.

Physical and mental factors are part of this condition, I learned to manage well both,  I have to thanks many people,  first Moodle, my Benzo buddies, my sister,  my daughter.    I just got a terrible test to my current  health.  My loving dog was hit by a car and died,

my daughter is in a really bad condition,  She is very depress, crying, very sad,  she got a terrible reaction,  she thinks is my fault.

I handled this crisis very well, of course I cried and I'm very sad,  but I didn't have a nervous breakdown, anxiety or chest pain, or a panic attack, like I used to have.  I got a tinnitus and headache  and lot of crying. 

well I wanted to share this success story,  I'm aware that a wave can come anytime, but I got lot of tools to fight it back.

I love all of you!

Manny

MANNY!!!!! That is such great news, that you are feeling so well.

Im very happy for you.

Wow...It is very hard when we lose a pet. They are like family to us. Im sure you are all very sad.

Maybe it is the grief that makes your daughter act like this... In time she will see it isnt your fault? You love the doog, too....

Crying is fine. I know we have talked about this often... But it really is fine to cry! Let it out. It will relieve you and take off some pressure...it has felt good to you before. You are great the way you are and just let it rip!

Really good to read you are so well. :thumbsup:

Oh Tex.

So happy to read this today.

You've been a wonderful buddy to me and so many.

You're posts always lifted me up...

Our pets are so so dear. Yes, I lost my Alisha of 14 years past summer. It was hard and I cried for weeks. She was akways by my side as I was ill.

So sorry about your loving dog. A friend for sure. 

May you continue to feel so well and renewed.

Time will ease your daughters pain. It is just a hard time for her. 

Bless you buddy.

Loved to read this today.  Thank you for sharing and hope for us here.

The best to you.

:smitten:

Terry. Rosegal.

Success Story:

Hello  everybody,

Y

I love all of you!

Manny

Tex,

What a pleasant surprise to hear all you have said here.

You are one strong dude and I like where your head is right now feeling good but knowing there could still be some rough patches ahead. You are fully equipped to take them on and move past those rough spots should they occur.

Congratulations on doing this journey and for sharing!!!!!

Take care buddy!

:thumbsup:

ATU

I started to slowly cross over from .625 X to valium 3 weeks ago. I am now 1/4 of the way crossed over and am starting to get more anxiety and palpitations- is this pretty common? Just wondering if I am going a little too slow. I wanted to go slowly in hopes I could continue to drive and work but Im too shaky and have too many nights without sleep... Muscle spasms are a little less but get worse at night. My doses are very very " night heavy" because I only took xanax and ambien to sleep, never took any daytime doses. Any experience / info/ advice much appreciated!

Hi kitty, it takes about two weeks for valium to build up in your system, so the anxiety you feel may be from the Xanax cuts rather than the addition of valium. I did a partial crossover from X to V, replacing .25X with 2.5mg V every two weeks. (If I followed Ashton's ratio it would have been .25X replaced by 5mg V but the 10:1 ratio felt more accurate for my body. Other people are more comfortable with Ashton's ratio). During the c/o I had some anxiety but the biggest s/x was nightmares. They eased off after I was done with the c/o.

I'm not sure how often you drop X and add V, but I would hold two weeks at each step to let the valium build up, then one you're done with the c/o, wait at least weeks before starting the V taper.

Hi kitty, it takes about two weeks for valium to build up in your system, so the anxiety you feel may be from the Xanax cuts rather than the addition of valium. I did a partial crossover from X to V, replacing .25X with 2.5mg V every two weeks. (If I followed Ashton's ratio it would have been .25X replaced by 5mg V but the 10:1 ratio felt more accurate for my body. Other people are more comfortable with Ashton's ratio). During the c/o I had some anxiety but the biggest s/x was nightmares. They eased off after I was done with the c/o.

I'm not sure how often you drop X and add V, but I would hold two weeks at each step to let the valium build up, then one you're done with the c/o, wait at least weeks before starting the V taper.

Im doing tiny add/subtract either nightly or every other night. I only know it by weight off the top of my head- adding .025 g V and cutting .0035 X  - it worked out to about 12-14 weeks to get to 13.6 V I believe. I just cant do math, I have to beg for help all the time. :(

So Ive been swapping for 3 weeks... So it probably is the xanax cuts. Its not unbearable just really unpleasant. Daytime sleepiness is not bad- and Im more "bummed" than depressed, but Im only a quarter of the way there. Thanks for the info- it helps to know. I probably need to tweak the times during the day I take it- maybe that will help a little. Thanks again!

I'm a total slacker and haven't posted on here for a whole month sorry  ::)

Just been settling into my job and navigating the ups and downs of "benzo tapering life" as usual.

The ups: I'm down to 5mg valium daily, had to hold for a week due to panic and illness but I have finally taken a few small steps towards kicking agorophobia's backside, by getting on a ferry and then on another day a bus.. both times it felt scary to be in a semi enclosed space, both on the water for 35 mins towards the city and on the bus especially when we drove on a certain stretch of highway where there are no bus stops for 30 mins on the way out to the airport

(this triggers my phobia because there is no easy escape option...not that I'd want to stand on the side of the highway, but... I've had many previous panic attacks triggered by an irrational but intense fear of feeling "trapped" as a passenger)

... but anyway, I DID IT!!!! Without any extra medication other than the daily amount I'm micro tapering off. Small steps. Eventually I hope to be able to go out of the city via car, bus, train, boat... then plane. But for now I need to learn to travel as a passenger just outside of my neighbourhood.

The downs: as mentioned above, holding for a week due to panic and illness. Waking super early with high cortisol and anxiety levels, limited appetite at night, some headaches, nausea, cramping, ringing in my ears, social anxiety at work higher than usual... but these things are not constant luckily... they have all been just occasional. Main thing is fear at bed time. Like a child afraid of the dark. Except the "dark" is emotional.

So...I hope you're all going well and it's really encouraging to read how everyone is progressing and growing, including people who ARE but feel that they aren't. Hugs to you, hang tight and put one foot in front of the other. Some days that's all we can do right?

I'm a total slacker and haven't posted on here for a whole month sorry  ::)

Just been settling into my job and navigating the ups and downs of "benzo tapering life" as usual.

The ups: I'm down to 5mg valium daily, had to hold for a week due to panic and illness but I have finally taken a few small steps towards kicking agorophobia's backside, by getting on a ferry and then on another day a bus.. both times it felt scary to be in a semi enclosed space, both on the water for 35 mins towards the city and on the bus especially when we drove on a certain stretch of highway where there are no bus stops for 30 mins on the way out to the airport

(this triggers my phobia because there is no easy escape option...not that I'd want to stand on the side of the highway, but... I've had many previous panic attacks triggered by an irrational but intense fear of feeling "trapped" as a passenger)

... but anyway, I DID IT!!!! Without any extra medication other than the daily amount I'm micro tapering off. Small steps. Eventually I hope to be able to go out of the city via car, bus, train, boat... then plane. But for now I need to learn to travel as a passenger just outside of my neighbourhood.

The downs: as mentioned above, holding for a week due to panic and illness. Waking super early with high cortisol and anxiety levels, limited appetite at night, some headaches, nausea, cramping, ringing in my ears, social anxiety at work higher than usual... but these things are not constant luckily... they have all been just occasional. Main thing is fear at bed time. Like a child afraid of the dark. Except the "dark" is emotional.

So...I hope you're all going well and it's really encouraging to read how everyone is progressing and growing, including people who ARE but feel that they aren't. Hugs to you, hang tight and put one foot in front of the other. Some days that's all we can do right?

Hi Just!

Thanks for the update. You will get there... :thumbsup:

Well done on both trips.

These are all big things. Maybe not for people who never have to deal with any of this but for us they can be victories!

One foot in front of the other. Thats how its done... :hug:

Hi Gang!  Haven't popped on here much the past few days because they've been a bit trying.  I try to avoid the main boards and stick to my progress log on days where I have nothing positive to add.  So, even though I'm having a slightly rough time right now, I just want to announce that tomorrow's full dosage will be 6.0mg of Diaz. This represents a 9mg drop (60%) drop from my initial crossover to 15mg of Diaz from 1.5mg of Ativan. 

I will admit that I've pushed through these past few days in order to get to an even 6mg so as to get to an even number of pills. 

Milk titration is my chosen method, but I don't completely trust the consistency of my mixture.  By this, I mean, I trust the dosage when my liquid portion is 30ml or more and I drink that portion from the bottom of my "shot glass". However, I don't trust the dosage when my liquid portion is <30 ml and is pulled off the top of the 100ml "shot glass" mix.  I know that people feel that the Diazepam should be evenly distributed throughout the mixture with a gentle swish or even a shake, but I just don't trust it.  So anyway, rather than deal with the uncertainty of the consistency of my mixture, I tend to rush through the last 25ml in order to get to the next "Even" dosage.  Now that I will be down to 3 - 2mg pills per day, I may even use up an entire mg each night for the dosages of .05, .10, .15, .20 and .25.  I would have done this earlier, but just didn't want to waste that extra half of a fourth pill.

So, right or wrong, those are my thoughts and that's how I'm doing things.  I'll probably chill out at 6mg for a bit until I stabilize and catch up on some work and get back on the treadmill. It's been a few nights since I've been able to do either.

By the way, has anyone utilized a NutriBullet during their taper? I made a spinach, broccoli, banana, and flax seed drink for dinner tonight with no ill effects. Not the best tasting thing I've ever had, but considering my stomach issues, I think it might be better on my system to ingest my calories in a more digestible format. Any thoughts or ideas on nutrient extractors would be appreciated.

Many thanks and happy healing,

Edzo

Great to hear about your progress, ed., although ick on the stomach problems. Sorry no brilliant suggestions on 'tummy tamers'; sounds like you've been through a bit on that issue. (One year, after totally quitting bulmarexia ED, I had painful esophageal spasms-so got put on benzo, ARGH!-and honestly ate almost nothing but white bread French toast with good ol' Canadian maple syrup EVERY meal, but wouldn't recommend!).

I'm following your liquid taper :thumbsup: since that's where I'm headed, but I will be taking the 'horse and wagon' approach in contrast to your more of a Ferrari pace; I must seem like a real chicken, but having kindled and crashed in the past, I'm just sooo totally not brave at all with regard to sxs and all that. Hope some others on here may be more helpful with the mellow food ideas. On the whole though, you must be pretty pleased, yay :).

Oh, I'll be on the horse and wagon taper going forward.  I've only moved at about a 15% decrease over the past month from 7mg to 6mg. It's just been recently that I've "cracked the whip" on myself.  Psychologically, I just needed to get to 6mg.  The liquid valium set me back a bit and I wanted to just fight through it. 

Going forward from 6mg to 5mg, I'll probably see if I can handle .05mg cuts. If I can, that would be tremendous. If I can't, I won't beat myself up over it and slide down to a "BB board recommended" .04mg (which would be pretty much right at 10% over 2 weeks).

Yes, the stomach stuff isn't fun, but it is tolerable. I have an appointment at the end of the month with a gastro doc and maybe he'll have me breathe in a bag or something like that. I am hesitant to be sedated or put under for a scope so long as I am tapering. I REALLY don't want a setback.  One thing at a time. I'll slay the dragon in front of me and then move on to the next one!

I know you'll do well on your taper. It seems as though everyone who goes into this with an even keeled and deliberate plan succeeds. You seem like that type of person.  :)

All the Best,

Edzo

Getting back to you Bets, I think 3.5 mg. is a good place to start and three weeks is good also.  You can depend on me to be here to support you, even though it seems valium help is getting lost in the shuffle and that is sad.  I am fairly new to the tapering and am sick but will help you in any way I can as far as how I am doing.  I just cut the 1/8 pill this morning so we'll see how it goes.  I seem to get hit around the third day or so and then after about a week, week and a half the emotional stuff hits and then that levels out.  The burning is always there.  I think I could taper much easier if this s/x would just go already, it gets me way down but I am chugging along, slow but steady.  STill getting over my surgery.  You have been through so much I admire your strength.  You will be fine and if s/x do pop up you will find many caring people on here to help.  So glad you are here, you are fun to read also, I follow your blog.  Good luck and I'll help you in any way I can.

freeme:

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, but was taking a break after that K taper was done. I am still a bit confused as how fast I can do a MT using vodka, but that won't happen for a while. Right now I cam cutting 5% every two weeks using C/H. I am wondering if I should do it every three weeks? ANYONE? Anyway, I'll be needed a lot of advice here as I know this won't be as easy as my K taper. So I can use all of the help I get. Thanks. :):smitten:

Hey, BG, you know I am on Valium, now on 1.50mg from 10mg, but I have done a long taper and a long hold, but it works for me, and trust me when

you get to the lower amts, it is needed, it has been about 2 wks into my last finished taper of 25 days and a total of .25mg, and I have had some blips

and mostly anthills, but still not real good, but I tend not to overthink this taper. I know you have more to taper, and probably will be OK, cutting as you

are, but it seems to me, you want to hold for 3wks, then do it. as I said last night, I was able at one time to cut a 5mg V out and had no problems., but

since I have too failed attempts at tapering, I do not care, I am going as slow as I feel to adjust between dosage cuts, and I am decreasing the amt that

I taper on April 22nd. I do not want to fail this time, my time is running out, so be it, but I choose to do it my way, and not go through what I did before

going too fast and cutting too much, it ended up kicking my behind. I know that buddies may think I am not right about this, but it has been working this

time and I am sticking to my guns, so to say. I know you will be OK, as you have a good mindset of what your goals are, we all want off of these awful

benzo's, but for me going fast is a crap shoot.  :thumbsup::smitten:[glow=red,2,300]BG[/glow]