Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Remeron (Mirtazapine) Withdrawal Support Group

[no...]

Pokey, i have been screaming about palps for about 2 months. Didnt you see any of them? This made me so angry and i am still waiting it to lessen.

I always have heart palps 5 minutes after I take the Mirt at night. I ignore it. If it is concerning to you, maybe have it checked by the doctor?

Becky

Well, it’s been three weeks since my last cut. I seem to have mostly restabilized from that big setback I had a couple of weeks ago. So here we go again, I made another .3 mg cut tonight. I guess I’ll see how this goes. Hopefully I can get back to making some progress here again. Today was a little rough. I worked outside at 22 degrees on my feet for 14 hours straight yesterday with no breaks. It wiped me out big time. I was completely useless today. I could barely keep my eyes open. I had adrenaline surges and palpitations all night last night. I guess that is from overdoing it physically. I was fine until I got back home into the heat. My body did not like the thawing out process one bit. It was interesting to say the least.

My palps stopped the same day. They seem to have started when I started taking quercertin and Restful Legs. I stopped that and the palps stopped. At least that’s my theory for now.

Now it is the turn of chest pressure with sleeping and breathing issues. Is that possible i am now having the bad effects of my taper's initial speed?As you know i started with a high rate as going from 15 to 12?Why i say this i dont think it is not a result of previous unbalance. Because even in early stages of my ct i just had head pressuse, DP/DR and some anxiety. I hope it soothes like palps as fast as it can:)

Hi guys.

I'm on a schedule now: on 10/25 I went to 3 mg, for one month, to go down 3,2,1,0 month by month.

I was on 3.75 for 5 years. I can hear my stomach protesting. Those gurgles went away for the most part for a long time.

there was an expression in one of Dave's threads: "the sensation is this. a jittery, anxious, borderline panicky feeling that wells up inside of me, seems to rise through my core, through my limbs, i feel flushed, and then i feel the strong urge to start crying." and reply to this "I get this, too. It feels like an uncomfortable amount of energy building in my body that becomes so powerful that I have to release it ( usually in tears ). It's highly uncomfortable but crying alleviates it along with talking to someone, for me.  It feels like anguish sometimes. Blah... Is the remeron taper difficult?" i am now experiencing this kind of anx. feeling like ready to explode :(

Hi Jack, how are you doing? I am watching your taper with respect, do you feel some nasty things when going in this shape and pace? i mean, could you describe a comparison with going weekly or monthly? did you have a pattern of being stable?

I do not achieve stability when I taper weekly. But the symptoms are more tolerable. In fact they are almost unnoticeable. My worst symptom is that I can not handle ANY stress. I have to control my anger responses. If I do not get angry I have almost no symptoms but if I get even slightly emotional like someone cuts me off in traffic or a small disagreement with someone it gets bad. Here’s what happens:

I get mad.

My body starts getting very cold.

I start shivering.

My stomach knots up.

My stomach feels very very tight.

I get parastesias.

My heart rate slows WAY down(like 45 bpm sometimes below 40)

I get flu like feeling like I have a high fever.

I get a migraine like headache.

If I catch it early and control it I can get better over the coarse of a few hours with a mild headache for the rest of the day. If I let my emotions go and get really super angry I can end up bedridden and in the hospital like last time. Also, if I let it I will get extreme nausea. At the very least I should have great control over my emotions when this is all over if I make it which it sometimes feels like I won’t. Not that I will give up but sometimes I worry that this withdrawal will kill me. It’s just when the symptoms are bad they are so scary it’s hard to believe I won’t die.

I took 15mg daily of mirtazepine for three years, and I felt that the drug wasn't doing anything for me but helping me sleep at night.  My PCP and I agreed I could taper off.  She ordered a schedule of 1/2 tab for two weeks, then off.  I learned almost exactly 24 hours after my last dose that this taper was far from adequate.  I was slammed with 6 weeks of hell, including flu-like and very dehydrating symptoms for the first week, elevated depression and anxiety, insomnia, intense fatigue and chest pain, and a couple nights of odd somatic hallucination experiences.  Weeks 3 through 6 also included frightening dyspnea every night at bedtime that had me considering ED visits almost nightly for a while.  I learned that some antidepressants mess with your CNS drive-to-breathe, so when you stop them, your CNS has to 'relearn' this crucial function. 

I've taken mirtazepine and prednisone over the last three years, and lorazepam for two months, and with everything I've learned about these drugs in the last month and their withdrawal phases ... it feels like I've just been "unplugged" like Neo in The Matrix.  If people knew what we know now before taking these drugs, I can't imagine 98% of people ever agreeing to take them. 

I’m now down to 1.3mg. My WD sxs have been the worst since I went below 3.75. I wake almost every morning feeling plum awful. Takes an hour to get rid of the grogginess. It’s still very sedating at this low of a dose. I have nausea, irritable bowel, slight short of breath in the early morning hours. Legs feel creepy crawly. I awaken stiff and achy. Takes two cups of coffee before I feel semi-human. Some days better than others, but none where I feel good. Seems like it’s about 21 days before sxs dissipate and then it’s time to cut again. I’m seriously considering dividing this last 1.3mg into three more cuts and getting the hell off. I’m sick of making a liquid form of the mirtazapine and sick of tapering. Can’t imagine I’d feel any worse.

Bluepm. If you are asking when did I decide to taper off remeron I’d say it was a couple years ago. It caused me to gain to much weight and I felt crummy on it and after getting off Xanax several years ago and getting off doxepin a couple years ago I decided I’d want to be on any of this crap any longer. It was controlling my life, well still is as tapering off has been very hard and keeps me from doing things in life I want to do but just don’t feel like doing them. As for how much to take for anxiety I can’t offer much advice. I never took it for that.

I’m now down to 1.3mg. My WD sxs have been the worst since I went below 3.75. I wake almost every morning feeling plum awful. Takes an hour to get rid of the grogginess. It’s still very sedating at this low of a dose. I have nausea, irritable bowel, slight short of breath in the early morning hours. Legs feel creepy crawly. I awaken stiff and achy. Takes two cups of coffee before I feel semi-human. Some days better than others, but none where I feel good. Seems like it’s about 21 days before sxs dissipate and then it’s time to cut again. I’m seriously considering dividing this last 1.3mg into three more cuts and getting the hell off. I’m sick of making a liquid form of the mirtazapine and sick of tapering. Can’t imagine I’d feel any worse.

It works differently for everyone.  I'm taking 7.5 mg just for sleep while tapering off my Benzo and I have lost my appetite.  This happened when I took it two years ago too.  Everyone is different and responds differently.  I am thankful because I needed to lose some weight.  Be been exercising too and drinking lots of water... eating healthy.  :thumbsup::smitten:

I do not achieve stability when I taper weekly. But the symptoms are more tolerable. In fact they are almost unnoticeable. My worst symptom is that I can not handle ANY stress. I have to control my anger responses. If I do not get angry I have almost no symptoms but if I get even slightly emotional like someone cuts me off in traffic or a small disagreement with someone it gets bad. Here’s what happens:

I get mad.

My body starts getting very cold.

I start shivering.

My stomach knots up.

My stomach feels very very tight.

I get parastesias.

My heart rate slows WAY down(like 45 bpm sometimes below 40)

I get flu like feeling like I have a high fever.

I get a migraine like headache.

If I catch it early and control it I can get better over the coarse of a few hours with a mild headache for the rest of the day. If I let my emotions go and get really super angry I can end up bedridden and in the hospital like last time. Also, if I let it I will get extreme nausea. At the very least I should have great control over my emotions when this is all over if I make it which it sometimes feels like I won’t. Not that I will give up but sometimes I worry that this withdrawal will kill me. It’s just when the symptoms are bad they are so scary it’s hard to believe I won’t die.

Jack, hi, how are you? It is the first post that i have seen you despair. We are used to see your positive messages. If you have such a mechanism to take control over your symptoms, this definitely means you are lucky. Anyway, you are sure about going 0.3/week, i want to warn you about protracted wd if you concern. As you know, i started in an awful pace and i started to get symptoms after two months. Fortunately my only symptom is anx. and unfortunately debilitating. This one makes me ready to explode anytime anywere. I still keep my hope alive about that famous "stab.". I hope you and others dont suffer from this. If someone present me an option which one would you prefer? Anx. or nausea, anx. or any other. I wouldnt prefer it, lol:) anyway, how about others? Jackie, becky and others. I checked in a hidden facebook group which you may also wish to attend. If you consider, send a message to Bledar Tyxhari on FB messenger. He is a man who also saw the finish line for remeron and support consciously. Take care

Hi June,

It was tough there for a few weeks. My withdrawal is weird. I wrote that last post when I was having severe symptoms. I am completely normal and symptom free most of the time and then I get these weird waves of severe symptoms. But they only last an hour or two and they can come at any time. I can be debilitated at 2 pm and then out to dinner at 6 pm feeling totally fine almost forgetting about withdrawal at all. It is very weird.

Hello,

Did you guys heal from benzos while on Remeron or did you have to come off it to see any results?

Yes, I know I have. Remeron does not work on gaba and does not seem to affect benzo withdrawal or healing.

Well, acute withdrawal is not really the universal thing that is thrown around here. A person could not survive five years in the level of acute withdrawal I was in. My heart would have given out. It’s just not possible to stay up 24 hours a day, eat nothing, lose a lb per day and maintain a blood pressure of 180/110 for five years. So if someone makes it five years in acute then their “acute” is much more tame than mine was for sure. I think severe protracted is more likely. Also, we are all different. If someone told me they took Remeron for a week and suffered permanent damage I would not doubt them. The one thing I learned about this process is how dangerous these drugs are and how our different brain and body chemistries handle them. I mean people have permanent injury from fluoroquinolone antibiotics while others are fine so why not Remeron? I don’t anticipate any permanent Remeron issues but I can’t discount it as a possibility. All injuries leave scars and while stronger scars are never the same as the original but we adapt and move on.

OK.  I'm reading about someone on here who said Remeron destroyed her and now she is 5 years off and still in acute.

Don’t believe everything you read !