Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Remeron (Mirtazapine) Withdrawal Support Group

[no...]

True, I should get tested but I know my doctor and I don’t want to take Metformin. Maybe it’s the Remeron. I just feel so messed up tonight. Today was better then tonight. I feel like jumping out of my skin. I’m concerned as I go lower how bad it can get. I guess I have no choice. I really hate feeling like this. It’s tough.

Jackie  :smitten: :smitten:

hey dudes, how are you? This week was really too hard. I am experiencing some adrenal issues and as if a lump is hidden in my throat. That makes my anger up. Is this normal?Did you live such things when starting and stabilizing on remeron? Today is the turn of being on 11 mg and i try to hold there. I am praying this sx should be lighter in some ways. I am asking myself why i did start to this drug or didnt start in low doses? :(

Hi everyone!

Hi June, par for the course. It’s all part of this crazy withdrawal. Believe me I understand. I feel like I’m on a roller coaster ride every day and feel moments of rage. I don’t remember feeling this way coming off benzodiazepines.

Hi Ptsd, congratulations and I’m wishing you well with your jump.

As for me. I’m trying to think positively and will be headed to the family event in a couple hours. Took blood glucose before breakfast and it was 115. Idk, I just can’t wait to be off this drug. I want to be normal so bad. Hang in there today buddies.

Jackie  :smitten:

I hear you Jackie. I can’t wait to be free! I believe life will be better.  Not only better than it is now but better in many ways than it was. This whole experience has taught me to appreciate things that I always took for granted. I don’t know how to explain it. It’s like it has allowed me to sample some of the most horrible disabilities and diseases that you can have which really makes you appreciate just normal things.  Before this I couldn’t relate to any of these things. If a person couldn’t walk and was in a wheelchair and regained their ability to walk they would sure appreciate it more than someone who never lost it. And I did temporarily lose my ability to walk during this whole ordeal. When I am done and healed I am going to do a lot of things differently.

I will appreciate being able to walk and run. Exercising without being punished for it. Going to sleep without being jolted back up with adrenaline. Feeling the wind on my skin instead of electrical pulses and pain. Eating without fear. Heck I’d even appreciate a steady heartbeat! Can’t wait!

I know the first thing I will do when i take my last dose of this stuff is a little embarassing. I will likely break down and cry the happiest tears you have ever seem a man cry!

Hi June. Yes, I have also had lump in the throat feelings. You know we have go through these different symptoms tapering and also holding. Holding just makes the symptoms somewhat better.

I got my quad flu shot yesterday. I haven't had one in years, and especially did not want it in the last few years due to withdrawal. I'm getting a normal reaction and just feel a bit like I'm coming down with a cold. It's just my immune system kicking in. I had to get one because I had gotten the flu the last two years. The bad flu two years ago really kicked my butt. I was sick and weak for one and a half months!

Becky

please help me, i cant even cry from suffering, please. Does updosing help me?my face is tight like a cow leather with pain, i can feel the movements in my face, i know all these actions are the stations while going to the last station "stabilization", but i really suffer so much. What can i do? i have never ever felt like this, i would prefer to take such a small dose of any other drug rather than being hospitalized and being polydrugged

Hi June, this is withdrawal. The only think I know to do is try to stay busy and distract the best you can. I’m so sorry June.

Hi Jack, I’ve never up dosed but I’m on a Facebook group and some others have done it but didn’t get relief. Are you struggling pretty bad? You might have to hold longer and then go slower.

Hi everyone. I've gotten a new symptom today, eye twitching. I've gotten it before but it seems a bit more often today. It's my right eye. I wonder if it's from the mirt. I know my eyes can also be blurry from it. Anyone notice this?

Becky

Hi Jackie,

No, I was asking for June. I thought I have read that updosing doesn’t help most people but I have no personal experience with it so I wasn’t sure.

I did good this weekend. It sucks I got this cold. My fever broke on Saturday. I had no issues with the Tylenol. I am glad I allowed myself to stabilize. I was feeling a little better from my cold last night. Aside from this cold I was my old self this weekend. I rode my motorcycle out to manhattan two nights in a row and hung out til 1 am both nights. I ate whatever I wanted. I couldn’t drink alcohol of course. But I danced with my wife for hours. I was laughing and talked to everyone. I was joking around like my normal self. The ONLY withdrawal symptom I had this weekend was a single heart palpitation while dancing. That was it. Other than that I did not have a single benzo OR mirt withdrawal symptom. Today was fine too. I went out to breakfast with some friends. But I did make a cut last night and will be making another on wednesday so I’ll be back in it soon. I’m glad I allowed myself to stabilize and feel normal. I am also thankful that for whatever reason I am able to stablize to normal. Can’t wait to be done with this and feel normal all the time again.

Has anyone here updosed Remeron and had relief?

Hey June and Jack,

I reinstated from zero in the early days when I was dealing with the benzo withdrawal, and then I did actually updose the Mirtazapine on two occasions. I never reinstated the full dose I cut, I always updosed a very small amount and held there to see if it made a difference in stabilization. It did for me in both cases. If I remember correctly, both times I updosed, it was around 5%. So very small.

If you’ve been holding at 11mg for a month or more June, your nervous system has already began to adapt to that smaller dose, even if you are feeling horrible. So in updosing a small amount were you to do so, you are making a gentle increase.

I would personally updose no more than 5% and would hold there for a minimum of two weeks to see if it helps. You may feel more immediate relief. And I would say if the updose does not help, then you will know that it is just the course of withdrawal.

Hang in there,

Dave

Hi Dave, Becky, June and Jack.

Dave, thanks for sharing your experience. Hopefully June can get some relief.

Becky, I use to get eye twitching a little once in awhile. Not sure what it’s from. All these symptoms are so annoying.

Jack, sounds like you had a wonderful night. Good for you! Your living your life despite the taper. Happy for you.

I started Mirt about 7 weeks ago to help stabilize me. Started at 7.5 then went to 15 and now at 22.5. Pdoc wants me at 30 for therapeutic dose. Has anyone been on that high a dose and found it helpful?

No, I was on 15 and found it helpful. Now that I am tapering I think that the dose was always too high. As I taper down I am feeling better than I did on 15. I am at 11 mg now and my mood has improved significantly. I mean a huge difference. It really depends what you are looking for in a “therapeutic dose”. If you need sleep and appetite 3.75 to 7.5 is probably the best bet. 15 if you need slight antidepressant qualities but also sleep and appetite. At 30 mg it MIGHT increase anxiety which is not ideal for benzo withdrawal. 30 mg is a stimulating dose which can help mood and appetite but as with most stimulants can increase anxiety and actually hinder sleep. But it’s highly personalized based on our individual brain chemistry. I have heard of some here being on 30 mg during benzo withdrawal and swearing it helped them immensely. If it’s something you plan to continue taking then I guess it’s fine. However it’s something you plan to taper after benzo withdrawal then the lower the dose the shorter the taper.

Jack, i am very happy to hear that you exp. a good trip and enjoyed it. It sounds like fairy tale, could you think about it? a man dances with his wife and enjoys his trip?what circumstances could be more natural than that?but in our condition it's simply like a fairy tale.

and me...i have been exp. cortisol spikes for about 10 days.this is making me crazy and i am just waiting it to lessen.this sounds absolutely a crap. i dont want to go back and i dont want to taper of course:( does this feeling go off while holding?

thank you for all your support.Dave,Jack,Jackie,Becky and others...

Ok so... my sleep has been affected a lot after jumping, which is crazy since I jumped at 0.07mg. Used to fall asleep at 11 for a couple hours. Now I'm having to layback in bed until sunrise before I can sleep a little. Don't know if I should reinstate or just continue like this. It's so hard to cope and my symptoms are so much worse during the day.

It is not really a duration of time. It is recommended to wait until you are completely or at least mostly healed from benzo withdrawal before you start tapering mirt. Not everyone follows this of course but that seems to be the common recommendation none the less. I started when I was mostly but not completely healed. I have to be honest, lately I feel that I am damn close to completely healed from benzos. I am expecting to have at least a couple late waves though. I guess we will see. When I stabilize from my mirt cuts I feel just about 100 percent. This makes it a lot easier because mirt withdrawal gets pretty rough at times on it’s own without adding benzo symptoms to the mix. It is much like benzo  withdrawal in the way that some of us get off easier than others.

What the rule tumb when to start tapering remron after  you’re last dose of Benzo ?

I would say the only rule of thumb is whether you feel you are at a point where tapering is going to be remotely comfortable, feasible, and ultimately have a chance of a steadily/gradually achieved successful outcome.

For me personally, I was tapering Mirtazapine early in benzo withdrawal. BUT... and this is a big caveat - I was tapering because the hospital had upped my dose to 30mg and I was being revved out of my mind on it. After I got back down to 7.5mg and it began acting as a sedative, I stopped tapering until my benzo withdrawal was complete and my own windows and waves pattern had stabilized to predominately windows with only very occasional waves. At that point, I deemed I was stable enough to take Mirtazapine withdrawal in earnest. But I always practiced extreme caution.

It is so completely individual. Mirtazapine can be a crutch during benzo withdrawal. It comes with its own withdrawal that should not be taken lightly. And in my opinion, withdrawal from Mirtazapine should only be undertaken after the harshest days of benzo withdrawal are waning significantly.

Hang in there,

Dave

N p thanks for the info looking at your history it took you 7 years to recover is that correct?

It took me 7 total years to recover from the benzo withdrawal and taper off the Mirtazapine. Again, I tapered the Mirtazapine at tortoise pace after I got down to 7.5mg. Never more than 10%, long holds, sometimes many months if things didn't feel right. I have not a single regret as I was able to jump from the Mirtazapine with little discomfort. Some may be able to go faster. After the brutality that benzos dealt on me, I was taking zero chances with the Mirt.

Hang in there,

Dave

Hi all. I was wondering when everyone takes their Mirt dose. I'm getting worse fatigue/lethargy in the morning when tapering. It lifts mostly by noon. I take mine at 10 pm. I am going to try to take it earlier from now on. I'm sleeping 8 hours so that's not the issue. The fatigue is just ridiculous!

Becky :smitten: