Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Remeron (Mirtazapine) Withdrawal Support Group

[no...]

Hi Pokey, Becky, Jack and June. June whenever I eat spicy or salty foods I wake up the next day with a very dry mouth. It’s really a strange feeling. Also I drink tons of water.

Today I went ahead and took a 5Mg Propranolol and 2 hours later I took 10Mg. My daughter took me to get my drivers license renewed. I’m happy to say I’m good for 8 more years at which time I’ll be 69. I will say the Propranolol does calm down the shaking but for me I only had a window of that calm but it was still helpful. I also feel some head pressure and slight headache but other then that no other side affects that I can see. I will definitely take again if I need it for something big but don’t plan on taking it everyday. I know that all medications have a price to pay so IMO use very sparingly. I’ll let you know how Tonight and tomorrow go after taking this.

Jackie :smitten: :smitten:

Jacks . I took Propanolol on a few nights when the symptoms were almost unbearable , I found that combined with a warm shower it was quite effective and calmed me down enough that I could get a little sleep .Taking a shower at 3 am was a little crazy but what part of this journey from Hell is normal ? ::)

Hi Brave, hi everyone. Today the headfog is still pretty bad. It seems this cut has been bad from the start. No breaks so far. My cuts last month got rough too. I hope this isn’t a sign that it will be this way until I’m off. The underlying anxiety is terrible. I can deal with it if I stay home but going out feeling this way is harder. How’s everyone else doing?

Jackie :smitten:

I am holding at 11.4 mg. I decided not to cut again until after the wedding next weekend like I originally planned. I feel pretty much stabilized. I will start cutting again right after that. I am going to try to hit 7.5 mg by New Years. At the rate I have been cutting I should be able to make that goal easily but who knows. I guess we’ll see.

The chest pain has stopped. The palpitations are still here but lessened. Some minor stomach stuff. Major adrenaline surges when I lay down to sleep at night. But once I fall asleep I am out for the night. Luckily so far I haven’t had any real sleep issues.

Hi Jack, I’m glad you’re holding. You’ll have a much better time. I’m still sleeping too. About 6 hours. Do you get the headfog stuff?

Jackie  :smitten:

Not yet. Hopefully won’t at all. I get head pressure though. I really think the headfog stuff is histamine intolerance. I know that this drug causes that. I have been pretty cautious with my diet.

Hi Jackie. Same old crap for me. Wake up feeling really crummy. All physical symptoms for me. The lower I go the worse it seems. I’m at 1.8mg.

True, I did have the head fog whenI tapered the Xanax. And it lasted a few months post taper as well. I had severe DP/DR during that time. That was the worst symptom by far.

Maybe it is histamine intolerance. I’ll look into this more. Pokey, I know how crappie you feel. I hope you can get through this soon and start to feel better. 1.8, you’re getting there though, keep your chin up.

Jackie  :smitten:

I am confused.  So mirtaz. is an AD but is also an antihistaminen and also  steroid?

How can it be so many things at once?

sheesh.  No wonder it is such a nightmare.

No, it is not a steroid. Mirtazapine is a tetracyclic antidepressant. Tetracyclic and tricyclic antidepressants are all antihistamines. It is very common in this class of antidepressants. Antihistamines that have the ability to cross the blood brain barrier function as antidepressants.

I stabilized on the small mirt cut. I wanted to get a flu shot this year since I've gotten the flu the past two years. Has anyone gotten one during their mirt taper? I'm afraid of it giving me a bad reaction since tapering affects your nervous system. Thanks.

Becky  :smitten:

I stabilized on the small mirt cut. I wanted to get a flu shot this year since I've gotten the flu the past two years. Has anyone gotten one during their mirt taper? I'm afraid of it giving me a bad reaction since tapering affects your nervous system. Thanks.

Becky  :smitten:

Hi Becky,

I did. I got flu shots all throughout my mirt taper with no fallout greater than a bit of a sore spot on the arm  :) I was very cautious of my nervous system and was hesitant, but my son has asthma and I was asked by my naturopath to get one so as to lessen the chance I would bring flu into the home which would have had bigger implications for my son. So I went for it and was absolutely fine.

Hang in there,

Dave

Thanks Dave. We really appreciate you coming back after being healed and helping us out. I am still scared about getting the flu shot but I am going to do it now.

Becky

No, it is not a steroid. Mirtazapine is a tetracyclic antidepressant. Tetracyclic and tricyclic antidepressants are all antihistamines. It is very common in this class of antidepressants. Antihistamines that have the ability to cross the blood brain barrier function as antidepressants.

That is interesting.  So ADs are antihistamines?  I never have been able to take ADs, tho about 30 years ago did take zoloft for a year until it caused arthralgia... took me a year to recover from that one.

I was told mirtaz is a neuro steroid?  No?

It is too complicated...  if ADs are antihistamines, do they help people with allergies, at least?

thx for the info

Not all AD’s are antihistamines. For example, Zoloft which you mentioned is not. Just many of the tricyclic and tetracyclic class. And yes the ones that are help with allergies. I went for allergy testing this week and the skin test did not work. I did not react to the histamine test. That is because of the Remeron. So I have to have it done by bloodwork instead.

Huh... this is all interesting as I can't take much antihistamine as it dries me out terribly.  So all the people who find relieve in hydroxizine or benedryl, for sleep, I can't possibly take those.  Nor could I tolerate ADs, other than what I said.  And Remeron did me in.

I wonder what that means.  Untl then, my taper off klon was going fine.

I wonder if the mirtaz could be a player still, almost 3 years after CT off 3 mg, then 7 mg, for 6 weeks. (obviously had no idea it could do this).

My stomach issues healed, but not much else.  I mean am better but still not very functional (esp insomnia, agoraphobia , driving phobia, fatigue, vibrating/ tremor (which some call akathesia I guess)...

Ok can anyone explain why some of us coming off mirtazapine have mostly psych symptoms, some mostly physical or of course some have both. Mine are pretty much all physical. I wake up with them. I hurt all over and physically feel awful until after a couple cups of coffee, something to eat and some exercise. I often go to bed feeling relatively ok to wake up again hurting. I just don’t get it. My assumption is something is going on in my brain while asleep that affects me this way ::)  :tickedoff:

Pokey

This is for Failureisnotanoption:

By earworms I think you mean the darn looping music I heard for way too long? I doubt stopping smoking had anything to do with this. Just a hunch, as I have no proof of anything. I still hear occasional looping music but so much less now. I sort of feel it has more to do with normal anxiety issues. Getting off benzos pretty much removed my old and severe anxieties (mostly social ones). I don't think smoking played a role in this, but you never know! I am just glad to NOT smoke anymore. Yes, I vape, a small device that doesn't put out those obnoxious clouds of "smoke." And yes, obviously I am still addicted to nicotine. But NOT smoking all that tarry crap into my lungs is a very good thing.

But getting off benzos was much better.

east

.07 mg. Not .7 mg. I mean I would gave jumped at .1 mg and you are below that. Oh nevermind, I read your signature, you definitely mean .07mg. Well done, congratulations. Yeah, I’d jump for sure.

Question for those who also came off benzos. I am supposed to go to this wedding this weekend. I stabilized so I could enjoy myself and life just wouldn’t have it. I caught a cold and have like a 99.5 fever for two days now. I feel like crap. So the question, is tylenol safe? Not in general of course but for us in our situation. I am going to need something to help me out this weekend.

Hi Jack, I took Tylenol and was fine. Sorry your sick. Always when we have plans this seems to happen. Go figure. Hope you can still have a nice time.

I feel like I can’t blame everything on withdrawal. For sometime now I’ve been concerned that possibly some of the fatigue, blurred vision, shaking, and this feeling of foods I eat are affecting me. If I eat any sugar I sometimes feel comatose. My dad and brother both had diabetes. I decided a couple of years ago to buy a glucose test kit. I pulled it out and tested my glucose after breakfast, it was 145 then 2 hours later I was feeling sick and tested again, it was 110. Anyone else no about Diabetes. I also wonder if Remeron plays a role?

Jackie  :smitten: :smitten:

Why not just see a doctor and ask them to test you for diabetes? I can’t see how that could hurt. I think sugar issues are par for the course in benzo withdrawals for one, and I know that Remeron messes with blood sugar. I have heard many people complain about this. The blurred vision is the symptom that you mentioned that concerns me. I don’t recall anyone mentioning that as a mirt withdrawal symptom. Of course that doesn’t mean it isn’t. Someone may correct me on that if they experienced it. Personally  I would look into it further. I was teated for diabetes during benzo withdrawal just to rule it out.