Need some support and advice

[le...]

I became an insomniac after sinus surgery damaged me in 1/08.  I got hooked to klonopin 1.5 mg then tapered down using valium which ended last april.  I have been keeping ambien as a crutch and would take for a week at a time out of desparation. Last time i took was march1 and i flushed down toilet.  I still use 25 mg of traz. Melatonin magnesium dhea 5htp for sleep.  Only get 2 to 3 a night. I fall asleep and wake up 3 hrs later and cant fall back to sleep.  It never ends and is ruining my life.  Do you think it is because still withdrawing from benzo ?  Will i improve if i gut it out.  Sometimes take a unisom after the intial leg of sleep.  Tried sleep restriction and could not get past second night.

I am sorry to read about your protracted insomnia.  I too am on Ambien and have been for almost 13years. I was also on a Benzo for 3 years and tried to c/t off both in Sept and suffered 21nights straight of zero sleep.  I reinstated both and have since c/t the Benzo again  :idiot: and am now tapering the Ambien. 

You have been off Val since last April - did you immediately start  using the Ambien after tapering off?  Is your insomnia worse now that you are off the Ambien or is it about the same as after you finished your Val taper?  I know you say you only used it sporadically but I do believe it is best to taper off any Benzo or Z-drug.

I feel for you on the little to no sleep!  For almost 2 years I suffered from no sleep to a few hours a night.  I too have been on ambien for about 8 years now.  I am slowly tapering off.  I agree with Meee, it is better to do a slow taper.  I am also on 275 mg of trazodone.  Ambien stopped working so I had to be put on that just to go from 2-3 hours of sleep and sometimes zero to 5 hours a night.  I had to steadily increase trazodone from 100 mg to 275 mg.  The first night I got sleep I was on 150 mg.  The more I increased the traz the more sleep I got all while tapering down ambien.  On weekends I get about 7 hours a night which is awesome.  All thanks to traz and of course not drinking.

May I ask if you drink?  I had to quit, well, I can only have 1 drink every now and then, because I either don't sleep at all or I only sleep about 2-3 hours.

There are several people on here that have successfully gotten off of benzos and ambien and there sleep returned.  Maybe they will chime in as well. 

Archived