Benzos and mitochondria damage

[ma...]

Hi BBs,

I've noticed that many of my symptoms are similar to mitochondria disease (muscle problems, migraine like issues, balance problems, etc.) I also read in several articles that benzos can damage mitochondria function:

http://psychrights.org/research/Digest/NLPs/DrugsCauseMitochondrialDamage.pdf

[nobbc]http://beyondmeds.com/2008/07/18/iatrogenic-illness-caused-by-mitochondrial-damage-psychiatric-drugs-major-culprit/[/nobbc]

Has anybody thought about using CoQ10, acetyl-L-Carnitine, alpha lipoic acid to combat the bewildering and disabling sfx? Anybody know more about this topic? I am kind of freaking out about this. :idiot:

Thanks,

M

I read this with interest. I am not I am comfortable with the little I know about the brain chemistry to put something else in my system. I know the brain is able to heal and is very "plastic". Bach-y-Rita, a professor at the University of Wisconsin, in the 1980s did some elegant work to show how the brain heals after an insult. I think of this benzo business as a brain insult. When I was ripped off about 1/2 my dosage in a day, I was really ill. I am not done yet, but the taper seems to be giving my brain time to heal and work. I think of my job as trying to be patient with it - and I find that the hardest thing for me right now is being patient.  I also am very uncomfortable trying other chemicals or drugs - who knows what is going through the blood-brain barrier and what it is doing when it gets to the brain!!

Everytime I try one of these shortcut cures I get nailed with even worse stuff than I already feel. Impatience is a trickster, turning minutes into hours, days seem like weeks, and I have the bad habit of thinking too far ahead instead of trying to make it through each minute. Just my experience.

I juice organic fruits and veggies for breakfast. Drink a big pitcher of it. I eat mostly vegan with lean chicken or ocean caught fish two or three times a week. I am reading about all the nutrients in the fruits and veggies and their roles in healing our bodies. Cool things found only in oranges for instance.

I have decided not to take any supplements as you dont know where they are made ( some from China have had heavy metals in them) or what is really in them.

I too wanted to take a bunch of things from the health food store to heal, but for me, God's good, whole foods are my medicine now.

I am still in the hurt locker, so the juices are not a miracle cure, but I know I would feel worse if I was not eating this way. I also dont eat gluten or diary.( I cheat and have a latte maybe twice a week.)  I do not have a weight problem and my lab works is great!

Maintain--

I was researching the exact same thing today since I have been having major fatigue problems and cognitive problems.  I am very concerned that the benzos and/or trauma of benzo withdrawal is causing mitochondrial damage.  I am VERY concerned about this.  I have been having headaches too.  I am trying to stay calm as I know stressing will only make things worse!  I had CoQ10 (Ubiquinol) in my cupboard and haven't taken one in awhile but took one today after I read similar articles.  I used to take a Ubiquinol every so often as I have read they are very good for you.  I don't believe in a lot of supplements during this process to "cure" anything, but if there is something I can take to prevent mitochondrial cell damage (or possibly reverse it?) then I am on board with that.  I haven't taken anything else but the Ubiquinol today--oh and I also read Antioxidants are good for reducing free-radical damage, so I took an Vitamin C and Vitamin E (Beta-Caratine) today.  When all is said and done with this withdrawal I am going through, I really, really hope there is not permanent damage to my brain (or any of our brains)!!  I am beyond frustrated with this.

Are you experiencing any headaches, malaise, mental fatigue, muscle weakness?  I am!  This just happened recently too.  I pray it will diminish with time, but am very concerned as these EXACT symptoms mimic mitochondrial damage-and can develop into all sorts of chronic ailments such as CFS, Fibromyalgia, etc.  I did read that mitochondrial damage can be reversible, so long as the DNA of the nucleus is not changed.  This is all getting very scientific, but when I am up with insomnia at 2 am a lot of nights, I tend to read up on my symptoms and get myself all worked up. 

Tina

Thanks everybody for replying - that video is amazing actually. I am inspired to do much of it (though my diet is not bad.)

TinaCA, yes, I am having a lot of problems with back pain and slow healing of injuries in general. All of this started during my 8 year run on klonopin. Now that I am getting off benzos, I'm wondering if there  is a mitochondria connection.

I want to heal my mind and body and it seems like part of this will require taking care of my mitochondria.

M

Maintain,

You are RIGHT where you're supposed to be at in healing - and I was in that phase, too - where the enormity of the idea of "damage" has got you REALLY freaked.  I smile because I remember it vividly.  But I tell you, this passes.  Not only have I gotten better and feel more confident about healing since looking back to what I used to be like, but I'm also so much closer to being really healed that I no longer am going through that phase of freaking out about it.

Take a deep breath.  It's normal to feel freaked out as your psyche is waking back up. 

You ARE right to a degree. What we have IS damage. And while the primary damage is GABA-related, the brain and CNS is not an island, and so many things are affected since GABA is affected.  BUT - and here's the real important part - BUT - these things heal. 

It is NORMAL to feel that as bad as things are, there is NO WAY they will heal. But they do.  At 3 months off, I was convinced it would take me like 18 years to heal.  But now, just 10 weeks later, I feel really close in a lot of ways to being healed easily by year's end. I don't KNOW if that will be the case, but I"m saying, I FEEL that way - which is to say, I'm calmer, things are making more sense, my memory has improved, I can put two and two together.  Just so many things have improved. Actually - even in the past 6 weeks that is true.  I am nowhere near where I was in early January. NIGHT AND DAY.

And so I want you to relax. Let this worry and concern of what is damaged and what is affected wash over you and allow it to go. It is a NORMAL concern. And in fact, the fact that you are so "with it" that you can do all this research and that you KNOW how you feel is NOT normal goes to show how VERY WELL your rational mind is inside of this situation.

It's going to take some time - but that's all.  It's going to heal - and you will be surprised at how soon you are MUCH better than you were.  It took me some time after I jumped - and i got worse before I got better, but I am 5 1/2 months out, and I am MUCH, MUCH better.  I promise it will be this way for you, too.

Please allow it to happen and simply do your part to distract, play computer games, watch TV, start an easy project (I crochet blankets on the couch because it's simple and repetitive and I can watch/listen to TV, etc.) - and just let these things pass.  I promise you, time is the healer. 

If you DO want to do something, eat as well as you can and drink water. Time will take care of the rest.

Lots of love to you,

:)Parker

Maintain,

You are RIGHT where you're supposed to be at in healing - and I was in that phase, too - where the enormity of the idea of "damage" has got you REALLY freaked.  I smile because I remember it vividly.  But I tell you, this passes.  Not only have I gotten better and feel more confident about healing since looking back to what I used to be like, but I'm also so much closer to being really healed that I no longer am going through that phase of freaking out about it.

Take a deep breath.  It's normal to feel freaked out as your psyche is waking back up. 

You ARE right to a degree. What we have IS damage. And while the primary damage is GABA-related, the brain and CNS is not an island, and so many things are affected since GABA is affected.  BUT - and here's the real important part - BUT - these things heal. 

It is NORMAL to feel that as bad as things are, there is NO WAY they will heal. But they do.  At 3 months off, I was convinced it would take me like 18 years to heal.  But now, just 10 weeks later, I feel really close in a lot of ways to being healed easily by year's end. I don't KNOW if that will be the case, but I"m saying, I FEEL that way - which is to say, I'm calmer, things are making more sense, my memory has improved, I can put two and two together.  Just so many things have improved. Actually - even in the past 6 weeks that is true.  I am nowhere near where I was in early January. NIGHT AND DAY.

And so I want you to relax. Let this worry and concern of what is damaged and what is affected wash over you and allow it to go. It is a NORMAL concern. And in fact, the fact that you are so "with it" that you can do all this research and that you KNOW how you feel is NOT normal goes to show how VERY WELL your rational mind is inside of this situation.

It's going to take some time - but that's all.  It's going to heal - and you will be surprised at how soon you are MUCH better than you were.  It took me some time after I jumped - and i got worse before I got better, but I am 5 1/2 months out, and I am MUCH, MUCH better.  I promise it will be this way for you, too.

Please allow it to happen and simply do your part to distract, play computer games, watch TV, start an easy project (I crochet blankets on the couch because it's simple and repetitive and I can watch/listen to TV, etc.) - and just let these things pass.  I promise you, time is the healer. 

If you DO want to do something, eat as well as you can and drink water. Time will take care of the rest.

Lots of love to you,

:)Parker

I agree here with Parker.  We can work ourselves up over the damage factor, as I did to a MAJOR degree earlier on.  I still have concerns, don't get me wrong, but I'm in a similar boat that Parker is in right now -- I can now see healing happening, though I know I have a ways to go.

You guys are awesome - thank you.

I am actually not totally freaked about "permanent damage" but looking for an explanation for my muscular spasms and issues. It would make sense that they would improve coming off of benzos and that by eating a mitochondria supportive diet, I might make more progress.

I'm sure I'm not unique here, but I have had the following for over a year:

1. Severe back pain following an injury that seems never to heal

2. "Seizing up" of hip/upper thigh muscles

3. Muscle weakness and a sense of stiff heaviness in general

It suddenly hit me that benzos could be part of it...

Thanks for the support and courage to keep going.

M

Hi TinaCA,

I have not noticed being out of breath except when I get anxious or am trying to exert myself. I can imagine that happening though.

Hope you have good luck with the diet. I am going to see what I can do to get closer to it. I recently discovered I am very allergic to eggs and yeasts of various kinds. I'm hoping that cutting those out will help me a tad.

M

Hi TinaCA,

I have not noticed being out of breath except when I get anxious or am trying to exert myself. I can imagine that happening though.

Hope you have good luck with the diet. I am going to see what I can do to get closer to it. I recently discovered I am very allergic to eggs and yeasts of various kinds. I'm hoping that cutting those out will help me a tad.

M

I didn't know that getting "out of breath" was a symptom shared by others with benzo w/d. Just yesterday I was in the city and walked several blocks just fine, but after going uphill one particular city block, I was totally out of breath. However, after I reached the top of the hill and in less than one minute, I was breathing completely normal as if I had never walked at all. Really strange, it must be the sympathetic nerves not responding appropriately to the temporary need for heart and circulation of oxygenated blood to the working muscles?

Out of breath - who knows why?

Many people report a general "heaviness" as part of wd. If the mitochondria are not functioning properly I can imagine feeling heavier as well. I feel this way in the AM generally.

M

• 1 year later...

I realize this thread hasn't been posted in for some time but I wanted to revive it with something very interesting I came across.  Like Maintain, I like to understand what is happening to my body and why, even if there is nothing that can be done.  Although, for me, understanding IS doing something.  Especially if it can mean simple different dietary choices to aid in recovery.

Medication-induced mitochondrial damage and disease.

Neustadt J, Pieczenik SR.

Source

Montana Integrative Medicine, Bozeman, MT 59718, USA. drneustadt@gmail.com

Abstract

Since the first mitochondrial dysfunction was described in the 1960s, the medicine has advanced in its understanding the role mitochondria play in health and disease. Damage to mitochondria is now understood to play a role in the pathogenesis of a wide range of seemingly unrelated disorders such as schizophrenia, bipolar disease, dementia, Alzheimer's disease, epilepsy, migraine headaches, strokes, neuropathic pain, Parkinson's disease, ataxia, transient ischemic attack, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia, retinitis pigmentosa, diabetes, hepatitis C, and primary biliary cirrhosis. Medications have now emerged as a major cause of mitochondrial damage, which may explain many adverse effects. All classes of psychotropic drugs have been documented to damage mitochondria, as have stain medications, analgesics such as acetaminophen, and many others. While targeted nutrient therapies using antioxidants or their precursors (e. g., N-acetylcysteine) hold promise for improving mitochondrial function, there are large gaps in our knowledge. The most rational approach is to understand the mechanisms underlying mitochondrial damage for specific medications and attempt to counteract their deleterious effects with nutritional therapies. This article reviews our basic understanding of how mitochondria function and how medications damage mitochondria to create their occasionally fatal adverse effects.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?Db=pubmed&Cmd=ShowDetailView&TermToSearch=18626887

Archived