Scared to Jump

[Sh...]

Hello Benzo Friends,

I have been tapering since May of 2011 from Klonopin 3mg. I c/o to Valium 60mg. I am at Valium 1 mg. My scheduled final jump is next Tuesday. It has been and still is a very long road. I have been freaking out a bit at the prospects of jumping. I am having windows and waves, usually a wonderful/terrible mix throughout the day. Can anyone virtually hold my hand here?

Thanks,

S

Hello Shetland600,

I saw your question and put together some information that may be helpful. Congratulations on making it to 1mg of Valium. We are here for you.

Getting off the last tablet:

Ashton recommends going to 0.5mg of Valium that would be the equivalent of 0.025 mg of Klonopin. So, 0.03125mg or maybe 0.015625mg should be low enough to step off and become benzo free. Here is the reference below:

The Ashton Manual

http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/

Chapter II

Getting off the last tablet: Stopping the last few milligrams is often viewed as particularly difficult. This is mainly due to fear of how you will cope without any drug at all. In fact, the final parting is surprisingly easy. People are usually delighted by the new sense of freedom gained. In any case the 1mg or 0.5mg diazepam per day which you are taking at the end of your schedule is having little effect apart from keeping the dependence going. Do not be tempted to spin out the withdrawal to a ridiculously slow rate towards the end (such as 0.25mg each month). Take the plunge when you reach 0.5mg daily; full recovery cannot begin until you have got off your tablets completely. Some people after completing withdrawal like to carry around a few tablets with them for security "just in case", but find that they rarely if ever use them.

I hope this is helpful,

Summer

Hi Shetland:

You can do this.  Be proud of how far you've come already.  :clap:

Once you've jumped the real healing can begin.

mmgc

I think Ashton is a bit more optimistic than what many of us find in reality. But I do hope you step off with no problems!

We can hold your hand here of course!! Just let us know what you need. Good luck!

[0e...]

I definately think Ashton was optimistic.  I just jumped from 2.5 to 2.0 and boy what a mistake it was.  so i would go slow thats just my opinion only or at least how your body would cope with it and you would know by now how you cope.

take care Lizzy

Thanks Guys! I guess I will cut from 1mg to 0.5mg and hold the 0.5mg for 2 weeks. I cannot believe how crappy this gets at the very end. I hope I have started healing while tapering, because if this gets terribly after jumping, I don't know I can handle working anymore!

It might be a good idea to cut to 0.25 mg after you've held at 0.5 mg for a couple of weeks if you can.  Just try to make it as gentle of a transition as possible.

Good luck.

There's no hurry. You've come really far. You can water titrate tiny doses at the end. I liked the book called "The Benzo Book."

If I recall, at the end of a long taper, the author water titrates a month or two of his final dose, and then keeps refilling the water so that each bit is more and more dilute as his way of jumping off. I thought that was really smart.

Hello Shetland600,

I saw you question and put together some information that may be helpful. I am the type of person who seeks to know what is happening and why, it brings comfort to me. I hope it does the same for you.

DO WE HEAL AS WE TAPER?

"The Ashton Manual" by Heather Ashton, 2002

“It is impossible to give an exact time for the duration of withdrawal symptoms. It depends on where you start from, how much support you need and receive. How you manage your taper and many other factors. With slow tapering, some long-term users have virtually lost all their symptoms disappear within a few months. Vulnerability to extra stress may last somewhat longer and a severe stress may – temporarily – bring back some symptoms. Whatever your symptoms, it is best not to dwell on them. Symptoms are just symptoms after all and most of them in withdrawal are no signs of illness but signals of recovery. Furthermore, as your mind clears, you can work out more and more effective ways to deal with them so that they become less significant.”

Love to you,

Summer

Thanks so much for passing that on. This is getting really rough. I can hardly walk down the street today but was OK a few days ago. I keep sitting down to do work and I literally stand right back up and walk away. I am almost not in control of this. Oh, Heather Ahston, how I hope thee is right about all of this.

Why does it sound crazy? Titrating just means reducing your dose in water instead of dry? I was saying the exact same thing Summer was saying, basically. Only I was saying that you could do that in water if it was too hard to figure out how to cut your pills when they got smaller. That's it. I was trying to let you know of one other way that many people use so that you could reduce your dose with the least discomfort possible.

Maybe you misunderstood.  :mybuddy:

Shetland,

When you find the part of this process that is sane, please let me know would you?

WWWI

Good point, WWWI.  There really doesn't seem to be anything sane about it at all.  :D

I actually am just doubting my capability to manage the maufacture of Valium Water and got defensive. It is a coping mechanism, nothing personal. I apologize. Maybe I should have said - I have no idea how to do this. Can anyone help me?

Hello Shetland600,

It is not unusual to feel okay for a few days then have symptoms come up again. It is the nature of how our bodies adjust to the new lower dose. I am the type of person who seeks to know what is happening and why, it brings comfort to me. I hope it does the same for you.

Why are Symptoms a Sign of Healing?

“The Ashton Manual” by Professor Heather Ashton, 2002

COURSE OF WITHDRAWAL

“During benzodiazepine withdrawal, symptoms characteristically wax and wane, varying in severity and type from day to day, week to week, and even during the course of a day. Some symptoms come and go; others may take their place. There is no need to be discouraged by these wave - like recurrences; the waves become less severe and less frequent as time passes. Typically “Windows” of normality, when you feel positively well for a few hours or days, appear after some weeks; gradually the “Windows” become more frequent and last longer, while any intervening discomfort ebbs away.”

“Vulnerability to extra stress may make symptoms last somewhat longer and a severe stress may – temporarily – bring back some symptoms. Whatever your symptoms, it is best not to dwell on them. Symptoms are just symptoms after all and most of them in withdrawal are not signs of illness but signals of recovery. Furthermore, as your mind clears, you can work out more and more effective ways to deal with them so that they become less significant.”

I am sending you my love,

Summer

Hi Shetland,

I'm in the same place you are - just cut to .5. - same questions, fears and inabilaty to walk :) as you. If you think it would help we  could take the plunge together.  A few days or a few weeks ...  it's  getting about time to be done with all this and test Ms. Ashton's  theory (gulp ...).

Might help knowing someone's holding your hand!

Hope you're having an okay day,

Ellen

I actually am just doubting my capability to manage the maufacture of Valium Water and got defensive. It is a coping mechanism, nothing personal. I apologize. Maybe I should have said - I have no idea how to do this. Can anyone help me?

Don't even worry about it, Shetland! It can seem confusing at first. If you think it's something you might be interested in, you can check on the other forum for this.

It can be super simple though. There are a bunch of different methods. Some seem pretty daunting. Mine's so basic that I barely think about it. I measure with a good glass measuring cup 100 ml of water. I pour the 100 ml of water into a plastic bottle and then drop the pill into it. It takes a few minutes to dissolve. Shake lightly. Then I remove some of the water and toss it. I drink the remainder. I increase the amount I remove a little bit every few days, although everyone dose this a little differently. I don't like side effects and am in no great hurry, so I just wait until I feel okay again and then decrease some more. If it's too much, you will feel it. You can decrease at the same rate that you have been, or more slowly if you want.

If you think of the water as "a bigger pill" that you are now cutting, it makes sense. Many people use milk because it suspends better; I like water because I can see the medication in it. Some people use a mortar and pestle; I find too much of the pill sticks to it so I just put the pill into the water. For a dose as small as yours, you can easily use a smaller syringe to make the cuts. 

The only thing I would say is that a little tiny bit of the pill sticks to the inside of the bottle. So I usually put more water in after drinking the first bit, swirl again, and drink again. Then the pill is all gone.

I hope this has helped demystify this a little. Whatever works! Good luck.  :thumbsup:

Shetland,

You have achieved an enormous feat by getting to where you are from where you've come.  And to be candid, I'm thinking your fear may be more, what will it be like once off rather than how to get off the last 1 mg.  The reason I say that is you've cut many, many, many times before and I'm sure some cuts were less or more challenging than others.  This is no different. 1 mg, even if it's your last mg, in comparison to the 60 some that you came from is a drop in the bucket.  Even if you jumped from 1mg directly, while you may experience more distress in the short term than tapering that down, ultimately the last 1 mg, isn't going to determine the ultimate outcome. (although I'm not suggesting you jump from 1mg)

Your body has already done a significant amount of healing, otherwise you would not have been able to taper down this far and still have your body adjust to each new dose.  There probably is more healing to be done.  But however you decide to w/d from this last 1 mg, you will not be thrown into a full blown c/t.

Probably the best thing to do is seek out others who have successfully slow tapered off of Valium and read up on how the transition is going for them.  Maybe it will give you some idea of what to expect when coming off the last mg and going forward.  This is what I do to prepare myself for my "after" life.  Mostly what I've seen is that they survive the final cuts and while many still have challenges for a bit following, I don't believe it's as bad as you fear.  I think Frannie and MtnMimi are two that slow tapered (not sure as i can't look to see right now.) and are off and finding their way.  But I simply attached to their posts to watch them as they progress and ask questions.

You can also start a post asking for people who have slow tapered V and jumped and what their experience was. I'm sure you'll find at least a couple that can help.

It's also possible that the intense fear you have of this last 1 mg is w/d induced fear and I'm totally off base.  But either way, if you figured out how to get yourself down to 1 mg from where you started, you can most definitely survive the last 1 mg.

WWWI

Wow, WWWI - I really appreciate and needed to hear that. I have lots of crap bouncing around in my head and sometimes, I believe it.  I am going to cut to .5mg and hold that for 2 weeks and jump. I think I have a terribly stressful, thankless job that would be making me nuts right now, even if I felt great. It's all just so amplified.

Fortunately, I have these boards to read and to be understood. I think your message is spot on. I think I am just feeling anxious/depressed and will need to get on some other meds to get my baseline up, but only when I taper. I am also not in the same physical shape I was before this mess, and cannot take care of myself that great. I hope I heal more - this state won't cut it long-term.

Shetland,

I haven't come from as far as you have, nor am I where you are now. But I definitely understand about not being in the same physical shape as when this all began.  I also understand the stress that work, especially at a thankless job, (or any stressors really) amplifies everything.

Your feelings are legitimate and as a result would suggest however you can to continuously remind yourself to be gentle and compassionate to yourself through this.

Expect that, like the rest of your taper, there will be ups and downs.  I don't know how much you were cutting recently, but if you go with the .5, you always have the option of slowing it down a bit just to make the landing a little smoother.  But trust your body and do what feels right to you.  If your feelings get the better of you during any of this, come on back...people are always here for you!

WWWI

Archived