For Brooke (inbox full)/ & others in w/d - what helps me on tough days

[tu...]

What helps me on the tough days are yoga (even 15 mins does wonders), a 20 min walk outside (sunny days are best for this), staying busy on a project (right now I am refinishing a dresser and redoing my recipes), journaling (putting all the "junk" onto paper and then finishing the entry with anything I am grateful for and any progress I have made (however small), spending time with someone who is truly supportive of you & patient with you (for me this is my mom - we have a standing "date" each week to walk and then just talk.  she has been instrumental in getting me through this time - nobody loves you like your mom, right?), prayer/meditation, educating myself about this issue, eating healthy (have not been doing well with this lately - have gained 5 lbs since my w/d, need to focus on healthy eating a lot more right now), and finally and most importantly keeping my thoughts "high tone" (positive; no worrying, no projecting, no self-bashing).  The last one has been the hardest, especially on tough days.  I call it going down the rabbit hole.  When something negative triggers me to think "what if this" and "why did this happen" and just worrying and dwelling on the past and possible future.  I am learning to literally visualize a stop sign for myself when this starts and to strongly (sometimes I even yell it if I am alone) "NO!" and then I either imagine the reality of right now in positive terms (I am alive, I am with the people I love, I am on the road to healing, I am doing this, I am loved, I have support, I am getting stronger, I will be better for this experience).  If that doesn't work (and sometimes I am so overwhelmed and scattered that I have to do something much simpler) I tell myself these 5 words (often while I am doing yoga or going for a walk) "calm & confident, strong & centered, healing"  I say it every time the negative tries to creep in, it is its replacement.  Last week I did this.  I woke up with terrible anxiety and just felt discouraged, sad and hopeless (down the rabbit hole) I decided to do just 15 mins of yoga and started telling myself my words.  I truly felt largely better after and continued to employ that tactic during the day and by the afternoon was back in a good "window".

I hope all of this (or some of it at least) is helpful.  Sometimes I think the only good thing about this experience is the experience, in that maybe we can help someone else going through it.  Stay tough Brooke!  Everyday is step towards the "YOU" you want to be.

Thank you - I just went through my inbox and cleaned it out. I appreciate your post and advice. I am only about a little two months in. I fell asleep on the couch for awhile last night and I found my whole body which was in the upright position tremoring left to right. It feels so horrible and I feel it right now. I will try to stay positive and focused. Toes moving, body twitching, etc. It is these physical symptoms that don't give the mind a rest towards staying positive. Please keep emailing - we all can use the reassurance.

Archived