Off klonopin, need help w/ other drugs

Been off the klonopin for just about a month, been told I went down brutally fast.  I've been going downhill with w/d symptoms, feeling worse the last 2 days.  It seems if I do just a little activity (mostly mental), it drains me further and I feel worse.  Wasn't sure what was going on (virus? something else making me exhausted?) until a number of people here said "this is klon w/d"

After the worst of the klon w/d was over the week after I had the last dose, I started trazodone for sleep.  It gets me to sleep but I still wake up several times a night and can't get back to sleep.  Been taking ambien to get back to sleep.  Someone on this list just suggested that because I'm taking ambien, I am not off benzos and I might switch to benadryl instead.  Someone else thought that stopping ambien wasn't a good idea.  I've been taking it every night for about six weeks (very occasionally before that).  I'd like some more feedback on the ambien in the context of klon w/d.  What might stopping it after six weeks of use be like?  I've usually been able to get back to sleep on 2.5 mg, but end up doing that twice a night.  Last night I had to take 5 mg to get back to sleep at 12:30.  Habituating?

Help!!

Hi,

It seems that Ambien and Lunesta have many similar issues to the other benzos even though they are not chemically the same. I think it is *great* you are off klonopin and that should be congratulated! :thumbsup:

I think Ambien must  be tapered too, but I'm not an expert there.

Best to you,

M

I also took ambien. I became tolerant to that too. It quit working at all and I was at the highest dose. Decided to get off of it.  Still not sleeping through the night. Started lunesta about s month ago. It works just so-so.

Insomnia terrifies me.  Waking up in the middle of the night and not being able to get back to sleep can spin me into craziness.  Not sure of all the components of this.  This has gotten worse with klon w/d symptoms of hard beating heart.  Makes it harder to get back to sleep and the herbal things that worked before don't work with this symptom.  The ambien gets me to sleep relatively quickly.  I was on 5 mg, have cut back to 2.5 mg for the middle-of-night episodes. 

Does my ambien use slow down my klon recovery?  I don't trust my doc to prescribe anything.  She knows so little about any of this or anything she's prescribed for me so far.

• 2 weeks later...
I understand.  It terrifies me as well.  That was the sole reason I was given Klonapin.....for insomnia.  My doctor is an addictionologist and she appears to know what she is doing and I trust her completely.  Benzos are the only drugs where the w/d symptoms are identical to what the benzos were prescribed for in the first place.  I am not sure if the ambien slows the w/d process.  At this point I don't even know if the drugs my doc put me on during w/d helped or if I just had to ride it out for way over a year.  I am still not sleeping through the night and find it hard to sleep late on the weekends.  Naps still don't come easily.....very frustrating.  What else are you taking?

Luci, it is true that benzos and z-drugs such as Ambien are cross-tolerant. They act pretty much the same in the body and by using Ambien, it's possible you may have substituted one for another. That said, some people find it easier to get off z-drugs than benzos, perhaps because of the short half-life, you're basically withdrawing every day if you only use them at night and are dependent on them. Maybe..

Ordinarily I'd say common wisdom dictates only come off one drug at a time, wait til you feel better to taper another. However with a z-drug, if it were me, I'd consider tapering soon to avoid a second dependency if at all possible.

We have a whole board dedicated to insomnia. Even if you can't find anything there to help you, you'll definitely find support and people who are in the same boat. The insomnia will get better as you put time between you and the benzo.

leighjay, I am trying to get trazodone to do all the work, but currently am also taking 75mg of benadryl too.  Actually I've gotten the ambien down to 1.25mg and I take it around 3.  I usually can't get back to sleep, so I don't wait around for a while (getting more anxious) but just take the bit of ambien.  I'm amazed that the ambien keeps working at smaller and smaller doses.  I hate the thought of doing without it.  I am addicted to having a pill that gets me to sleep or keeps me asleep at night.  I can't imagine just falling asleep on my own.

The good news is that I'm only five weeks off klonopin and my energy is improving. Roller coaster, of course, but more windows and much less fatigue.  I actually drove to a supermarket this weekend and got a respectable amount of food.  Haven't done that in many months.  I had extreme fatigue before I quit the klonopin.  It is a messy stew.

Princezz, I've always had insomnia in one form or another so I don't have much expectation that getting off klonopin will improve it, even in the long run.  Or getting off ambien.  I'm seeing a holistic-oriented psych nurse who has already told me to quit all dairy.  I'm hoping she can help me with the sleep situation.