short term benzo users

How long did it take to recover from withdrawal from short term use? like being on a benzo for about 1 month?

I'm not recovered by any means, but I was on a low dose for only 2 months -- I'm 7 months off.

WTBNA,

7 months how is that possible? What are your lingering symptoms if you dont mind me asking? I thought short term users would heal sooner than that. ???:( Im so sorry your recovery is taking so long.

WTBNA,

7 months how is that possible? What are your lingering symptoms if you dont mind me asking? I thought short term users would heal sooner than that. ???:( Im so sorry your recovery is taking so long.

My symptoms are not exactly lingering.. they are still intense at this point and all life consuming:  Extreme anxiety, fear/terror, paranoia, DP/DR, head pressure/pain/tingling, brain burning, teeth and jaw pain, some twitching on various parts of the body, can't get a clean breath of air, heart rate is not correct.

It feels like I've been on the stuff for years, but only two months.  Apparently this stuff can jack a few of us up, even on small doses for short periods of time. :(

Hi BooBoo,

I was on Xanax 1-1.5 mgm daily for 3 months, which is relatively low dose, short term.  I had pretty intense symptoms the first couple of weeks after jumping off.  I had every symptom in the book, especially ataxia and weird spacey feelings.  Around week 2-3 I began to feel much better with nice windows of feeling great.  Now at 5 weeks out, I still feel some symptoms but they are fading and I am much better.  Initially I was nonfunctional due to the severe symptoms.  Now I can do almost everything even though I am a bit dizzy at times and have a constant dull headache.  Occasionally I will get an intense wave of a lot of my old symptoms but it usually doesn't last very long.  But everything is getting better.  Have hope, we do heal eventually! If you have only been on benzos a month you are ahead of the game.  It will only get harder the longer you take them.

WTBNA, I feel so bad for you!  Your body definitely reacted badly to such a short course of benzos.

MiniMinnie

I was on Ativan for a total of 6 weeks including a poorly executed 2 wk. taper. I also took Zopiclone intermittently for 3 mos.

My severe symptoms of anxiety and fear and insomnia subsided immediately after quitting completely and I feel that I am one of the luckier ones in terms of my healing.

I am now 9 weeks out and have more good days than bad. The odd bit of anxiety once in awhile, persistent tinnitus, (but I had that to begin with) and fading d/r. So, basically everything is improving, but I do still get the odd day where I am kicked in the gut by depression and memories of the past, then I'll be fine the next day. It is definitely a roller coaster and I never quite know who I am going to wake up to. Accepting this fact has helped me a lot lately. I am trying to just go with it.

The good news for me is that despite those occasional bad days, I am usually that much stronger and happier afterwards. It is a slow progression, but I see the improvements. For sure.

Good luck in your recovery. This forum has been a God send in terms of support and educational info.

Hi BooBoo

I was on Clonazepam (Klonopin) at 0.5mg/day for 3 and a half months (that includes a 1 month dry-cut taper).  I had at least 40 sxs in withdrawal... it was really really bad...

In 2 weeks I will be 1 year off. (OMG, I am just realizing that I will be 1 YEAR off as a type this  :D), and I am not healed yet.

I am not saying this to discourage you... and I hope for you it will be much sooner.  But if not, at least you will be mentally prepared for this to take a while.

I saw big improvements at 3 months and 6 months...

At 1 year off I still have on + off muscle tightness in neck/shoulders, full head/ pressure in head like being underwater, nausea, dizziness, anxiety...all of these things are on + off... I am MUCH MUCH better but not healed yet.

Hope for you things will be easier!

You can see in my notes that I was a short term user as well.  I am now at 7 months and I still have issues.  My physical symptoms are gone.  No more pins and needles, no more muscle spasms, only slight headaches, no more crazy chest pains and breathing issues.  But I still suffer with the dizzy feelings, the boaty feelings, the sudden anxiety at times, slight headaches and head pains, and depressions.  These meds are no joke!  Horrible stuff!

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks guys for the input about your recovery. I am 3 weeks off and only feel muscle tenseness and slight jerks. I guess everyone heals at a different rate. Thank goodness we are all short term users! :angel: I know that you guys will heal 100%.